Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2008, 06:41 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: JBL now SOLD
Send a message via AIM to jdean
Not Ranked     

In my case I benefitted a lot more from the vendors than they did from me. Don Barnes worked on my carburetor to help me get going again, and I used his tools to tweak another car the next day....Lone Star Brian made his trailer (and himself) available to tow me back from the fire on 6th street along with Dee. Hey Don did not even try to sell me a fire extinguisher.....I had to corral him to buy the damn thing.

As far as Keith C. goes.....there are some engine shops I have heard about that would not show their face among so many of their customers, since a lot of their customers are pissed off. Not so in the case of KCR. It was interesting/educational to see his samples of the CNC heads he turns out too.

At least these handful of guys (and James Yale) have been as much fellow enthusiasts/members as vendors. Hell they show up at Austin, Tulsa, Run n' Gun etc. Yeah they have a marketing budget they can write off at dozens of other events, but I am glad they show up at ours.

Last edited by jdean; 03-31-2008 at 06:46 PM..
Old 03-31-2008, 06:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lots fo different cars that change all of the time
Not Ranked     
Default just my opinion

where to start? Let's see..

there could be no photo company

no event shirts or pro-mo items

Allan couldn't have Keith Craft check his rocker arms

Lone Star owners couldn't ask question about the new company plans

Texas Driving experience will not haul customer cars or furnish margaritas for three days

Keith Craft wouldn't have to work on cars until after dark and a Houston couple would have missed the wedding

James Yale will not be welcome

I would not be welcome

The new owner of EM, now in Houston, would not be welcome

Paul Cass our last president would not be welcome

This event since started has been about the people and not the cars

Jay

Run & Gun participant 1998-2005
Old 03-31-2008, 06:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Lance, no need to apologize at all. I'm sorry if I made it seem like you were not welcome. Y'all ARE the kind of people we want at the meet.

But apparently I've not made my point clear enough in this thread. I DO want the people that we had at the event there - Don, Jim, Brian, Keith, Lance, Debra. All good. And all Cobra Club members. And I'd love to see Doug Reed and James Yale at next year's event.

What I DO NOT want is to open this up to any vendor with a dime to spend who wouldn't know a soul at this event and is just willing to spend $500 to park their rig in the lot and push their particular manufacturer. I'm sorry but I think it would just be flat out wrong to let Joe Bob at EnginesRUs set up a tent and tell everyone what great engines he's got, while Keith and Lance are busting their asses actually fixing people's motors.

And as far as having vendors on site to talk about their cars and what they offer, I think happy customers do that well. Sure Keith actually fixing cars at the event is impressive. But I guarantee you that people would have learned about KCM/KCR even if they weren't able to come. Happy customers and rockin' motors sell the product. Hell, it's how we found Keith. Spring meet 2003. Drew Baird and Gary Sharapata raving about him turned into an April trip to Arkadelphia to meet Keith.
Old 03-31-2008, 07:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star 351W/408CI 525HP
Not Ranked     

Dang it Jay,

I was doing my best to not say what you just did!! So perfectly put. I owe you a bottle of anything you want. And I will deliver and start a party of cobra lovers there.

No Deb or Dave,
No Allen or Keith,
No Brian or Lone Star,
No Don or T.D.E.,
No James Yale,
No Jay,

NO FUN!!!!!!!

No Larry
Old 03-31-2008, 07:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Wow, I'm being made out to be the big bad asshole on here. People came to me with concerns about vendors prior to the event due to vendor behavior in the past. And I tried to post as tactfully as possible to let those people know where the line was so we didn't have problems without offending any of the people we actually love. And we didn't have any problems, so that was quite a relief.

Do you want me to actually post what really set some people off? It was the suggestion by the Superformance dealer to break out the SPFs to have their own event within an event. Which did piss off some people because it goes counter to everything this club stands for.

I stand behind the fact that I want members at the event not vendors. And I'm really sorry that y'all can't see Keith, Debra, Don or Jim as MEMBERS who happen to provide a product or service and not VENDORS.

Jay, I'm sorry you felt the need to so very publicly call me out with that reference to Alan and his rocker arms. Especially when you don't seem to get what I'm trying to say.

Chris Noland made the suggestion that we actually invite vendors and sell space to them to hawk their wares. I think that's a damn ****ty thing to do to the people we call our friends and members. I NEVER said that we shouldn't have people selling things. That's just ****ing ridiculous. But wouldn't it make sense not to screw over Debra who is a member of the club and happens to sell T-shirts by letting 3 other T-shirt vendors buy a booth.

ETA - I never intended to offend anyone, only ensure that we didn't get assholes at our event. And we've had them (reread the first post). But quite honestly, I'm more than a bit offended by certain posts and loosely veiled slams at me. I've been nothing but welcoming to people wanting to join our group from all parts of the state. So it really floors me that people would think I'd be out to ban people I've know for years. That's incredibly hurtful.

Last edited by Mrs 66 Snake; 03-31-2008 at 10:42 PM..
Old 04-01-2008, 05:06 AM
Miss Texas Cobra Club-08
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #291 *has left the garage*
Not Ranked     

hey, Colleen......
(guess it was a good thing the server went down!!)

you posted the original thread BEFORE the spring meet, hoping to alert the vendors that this is a MEET, not a SALES opportunity. I think it was ok to post it, and now after the event, we can see that everything went very smoothly in regard to the vendors that did attend. They were very helpful, fun, and didn't push any of their stuff in excess.
A very good blend of vendor, participants.
Personally, I am NOT interested in vendors 'paying' to attend; I certainly don't want this to turn into a 'show' rather than a meet.
Just through conversation and friendships we already had a nice group of vendors this year.
I really think this whole issue is a non-issue, and hope it stays generally like it was this year.
btw.... did ya'll know that Julie with Everett Morrison was there?? I bet the folks looking into an EM knew she was! What I'm meaning is, she didn't come in with a booth display showing off her wares and the move to Houston. Her presence was there; but not as an aggressive saleswoman. Way to go, Julie.

So.... I don't think the intent is to 'bash you', just have some discussion.
It's interesting to me to see there is somewhat of an interest from folks to have more vendors, and an interest in a group to have less.
There's got to be a happy medium in there somewhere!!

now didn't you enjoy my little hijack earlier???
all vendor pics submitted to you and me for approval...

have a good day, sweetie.
K
Old 04-01-2008, 06:47 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #122 (Sold) : Ford GT #484 Heritage Edition; 2008 GT500 Red/Black
Not Ranked     

Being at this event for 8 years gives you some insight that others might not see. We have had our fair share of people that join the group and start hocking their wares. Once they sell what they want or figure that we aren't buying they disappear never to be heard from again.

I read nothing into this post other than what was meant. Show up and HAVE FUN. You want to do something with this group then get to know them first and you will find out that this event it not like Tulsa or SAAC.

People that were part or are part of the group and decide to start a business that relates to their passion are supported. No one said James or Paul or Don weren't welcome..they were all Cobra owners FIRST.

If you weren't here 2 years ago and don't remember the big vendor in the middle of the parking lot that couldn't give 2 ****s about our event only that he was there to sell his cars then picture the section where everyone parked their trailers and trucks with one big bus and a bunch of stuff for sale..thats what Colleen was trying to get across to people.

I think that making vendors deal with people on a more personal level really gets you a sense of the person that you want to do business with..thats what we try to get them to do.

Hey I was the first one when Deb started selling shirts to tell her that we had another person do this in Dallas that was just there to tout their business. I will be the first one to stand up and say that her and her husband have become great assets to the group and I hope they stay involved for many years to come..they are great people.

Jay your last comment is the one that fits best and I think it covers what Colleen wanted the vendors to understand that hadn't been here before.

ITS ABOUT THE PEOPLE.

So show up and play..if someone wants to talk to you about what you do for a living great....talk...learn...enjoy thats what its about...

We don't need a vendor isle for that...thats the point...we don't want to be slaves to vendors that give us money and expect to talk to everyone for 30 minutes or have their names on shirts.....If they want to put flyers in the welcome packets..Great...otherwise come and make friends and at the same time make some lifetime customers.

Keith is a perfect example..I think when he first started hanging out with us he took some of our joking too seriously...now he fires back just as quick and is just one of the group and has some stories that will have you rolling even when you aren't drunk.

Keith will build my motors....if I ever need shirts for other events I will call on Deb....when my kids get to be 16 they will be out at TX Driving experience so they are prepared for the idiots on the road.

Take the first post in context with the date it was made and the suggestion that was given...and it sounds like many of them listened and came to enjoy the event. You can see that Doug Reed told CSXNUT how it works and he enjoyed the meet.

Now lets get on to something more important..finding a new site and letting me finish this electronic Marriott survey...is there a rating below Unacceptable?
2006 Ford GT #484 Heritage Edition
2003 Hummer H1 OpenTop
2003 Hummer H1 Wagon
Old 04-01-2008, 07:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique FIA, 425 Windsor
Not Ranked     

The only thing I would like to see different is that we not hold the event on the same weekend as the NHRA Spring Nationals in Houston. I missed Austin due to a commitment to be at the track
Old 04-01-2008, 07:04 AM
Miss Texas Cobra Club-08
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #291 *has left the garage*
Not Ranked     

you know, 'people' keep thinking since it started in 2000 and it is now 2008 that we have been meeting for 8 years.

do the math---

this is our 9th year!!!!!!!
(not to pick just on you Matt.... it's been on our tshirts, commented on in presidential speeches.... on and on!! you have to count the year we started as 'one' and THEN add the next ones. )

this has bothered me for YEARS!!!

i have been to 5 meets.... 04, 05, 06, 07, 08
would somebody please correct me if i'm wrong???

sheeesh!!!

we love you Colleen.
K
Old 04-01-2008, 07:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: JBL - TK0600, Electromotive EFI, Keith Craft 408W "standard crate", ~575hp
Send a message via MSN to Texas-Saluki Send a message via Skype™ to Texas-Saluki
Not Ranked     
Cool guess I need to read the date of the post

Colleen,

I am not meaning to bash / flame… if it is coming across that way I apologize.

What I am suggesting is we can maintain the intimate nature of the Austin event and encourage some vendor participation. Just like I am suggesting a requirements document created for the hotel, we can do the same for the vendors. The vendor “rules of engagement” maybe a good idea regardless if we actually invite any more in 2009. This would avoid the problem we had a few years ago with the BDR truck. These rules would establish where they setup and what they can provide to the participants.

And I have to admit something… I completely missed you posted before the meeting in Austin… so this was more of a warning to vendors to play nice than a complaint. Woops… guess I need to actually look at the post date
http://www.thenolands.com

www.txcobraclub.com
Old 04-01-2008, 07:44 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #122 (Sold) : Ford GT #484 Heritage Edition; 2008 GT500 Red/Black
Not Ranked     

Nine? Is that a number? I can't count that high you know that Kristen..us Aggie's..which by the way we have now had 4 Presidents that are Aggie's...can't count that high
2006 Ford GT #484 Heritage Edition
2003 Hummer H1 OpenTop
2003 Hummer H1 Wagon
Old 04-01-2008, 08:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane #1037, 351C, TKO 600
Not Ranked     
Smile Its All My Fault

Ok Gang I am sorry. I was unable to do my duty and help with the parking and the directing of traffic. I will not falter next year. Being the big asswhole that I am I would have shouted down most folks. You all know me and I can get after them. So I will promise to be there next year and do my part.

I Love you all. Remeber

ITS ABOUT THE PEOPLE.

Love you

Gregg H
Back in Baghdad

"Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory."
Old 04-01-2008, 10:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lonestar Classics, 302 stroked to 347; Metallic British Racing Green
Not Ranked     

Colleen..absolutely NOT bashing at all, and I agree completely about the need to banish vendors who are ONLY there to sell stuff. As with any commercial endeavor, ALL of the vendors who were there were only too pleased to be able to talk about their wares if they were ASKED, and there I think is the difference.

'Reactive selling' at these events should be applauded as that is appropriate, 'proactive selling' should be condemned as it isn't. I think ALL the vendors there fell into the former category, and as I suggested earlier, all we might need is some kind of 'vetting' process to ensure the former!

In the meantime, let's talk about Joe Bob at EnginesRUs ! Joe Bob has been an active participant at a number of events around the state since I moved here some 29 years ago, and I think we may be wrongfully picking on him! EnginesRUs have made some fabulous four cylinder 'original' 1098 cc engines that fit well into the cavernous under-the-hood (i.e. under-the-bonnet!!) area of the Cobra. All of us in the Cobra community owe a debt of gratitude to Joe Bob, and I think it is time to call a halt to this endless "let's blame Joe Bob for everything" attitude that is pervading this forum right now! Let's just break this vicious circle shall we?

"No, I DON'T have an accent, this is how English sounds when it is pronounced correctly!"

Last edited by GlynMeek; 04-01-2008 at 05:39 PM..
Old 04-01-2008, 04:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Aluminum CSX4000
Not Ranked     

MRS 66 Snake...
"Do you want me to actually post what really set some people off? It was the suggestion by the Superformance dealer to break out the SPFs to have their own event within an event. Which did piss off some people because it goes counter to everything this club stands for."

WHAT?????

I ABSOLUTELY made no such suggestion!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Which Superformance dealer are you talking about?
www.427LEGENDS.com
Old 04-01-2008, 04:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Definitely wasn't referring to you.

From Post #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs 66 Snake View Post
I have to think that if I were the Austin/Houston SPF rep I wouldn't appreciate the North Texas guy coming down to my turf. And what limits to do we put on what their involvement is?
And quite honestly I did have specific concerns expressed to me about the Superformance Dealer from Dallas prior to the event.
Old 04-01-2008, 04:59 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Previous owner of SPF#1938, with a Keith Craft 496ci Genesis 427 side oiler, 667 FWHP, 633 FWTQ, 560 RWHP, 550 RWTQ.
Not Ranked     
Angry

OK, I've been biting my tongue as long as I can, so let's get some things straightened out.
The SPF dealer in Dallas has a name, he is Jim Creel and many of you that have posted here know that as he has attended several of our Dallas area meetings as a member, been introduced and had discussions with some of you.
I'm not sure why you are pu$$y footing around and avoiding using his name. Jim has been a SPF owner and enthusiast for several years, just like many of us, and decided to turn his passion for the cars into a profession. He moved his family to Texas and opened up the dealership in Plano. Kind of sounds like what CSXNUT said about his situation. When Jim negotiated his arrangement with SPF USA it was with the understanding that his territory would be the state of Texas, not just North Texas. But guess what, the situation changed with the pressure of SPF USA to move cars, and now Doug Reed shows on the SPF WEB site map as a dealer in Houston and I guess CSXNUT has the OK from SPF USA to open up in Austin . So who is coming into who's territory, hmmmm?
I do believe at some point prior to the Austin event Jim expressed a desire to have a SPF owners event. He was provided guidance that the annual event was not the venue for such a thing and it did not happen. So hasn't this really been blown out of proportion?
Lastly, if specific comments were made regarding this idea or dealer in general, why didn't those that expressed them make a posting, rather than Colleen?
I think we're beating a dead horse by now, but let's call a spade a spade, put it behind us and move on.
It was still the best damn annual meeting yet and I'm anxiously awaiting next years to be even better.

Don't interfere with somethin' that ain't botherin' you none.
Old 04-01-2008, 05:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Jim,

You are right, it was Jim Creel. If you reread the first post you'll see where I tried to be as tactful as possible to avoid even having this discussion and "outing" him. And honestly I was happy that we didn't have any problems with vendors abusing their attendance.

As far as why people told me instead of posting, well you'd be surprised at how much I hear from people around the state, because apparently by doing the registration, they think I have some kind of leadership position. And I try very hard to smooth the waters. And I agree we've beat a dead horse. I don't think I've got the time, energy or inclination to further explain the difference I see between the system we have that works, and one where we would start charging TDE, KCM, LSC, SPF, etc a booth fee just to be able to come hang out with their friends for the weekend.

But I don't appreciate getting slammed because I made a post passing concerns on about the potential for some vendors to abuse the Spring Meet. So if that means I have to out Jim Creel for a very ill-advised suggestion to illustrate the point, then so be it.

And if we're going to be stop *****-footing around, then I'll add that it's not anyone else that I felt slammed by except Jay. His post showed he had either only skimmed my posts explaining my concerns or he just wanted to be hurtful. And it was hurtful. I have spent a lot of time getting to know people from Dallas, Austin and Houston over the years and I don't appreciate him implying that I would be at all in favor of closing ranks.
Old 04-01-2008, 08:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lots fo different cars that change all of the time
Not Ranked     
Default my answer

I did not just scan your post and all of the others that have been posted here. My post was labeled "my opinion". That meant just that...my opinion. I believe that the first post was ill timed and ill advised. I believe that your post was founded by what had happened in the past with another exhibitor. Right or wrong I believe you felt that this needed to addressed and in part I agree, but I don't agree with the way or the timing in which it was presented. I also need to question to whom this issue was disussed before posting...not me but the Austin group that does the planning.

This club was started with very loose guidelines for a reason...no one can impose anything...majority rules...communication with others is a must...it is the people and not the cars.

I did not as you say "call you out" everyone who knows me knows I don't play games. I expressed my opinion. Take it, leave it...it's my right as is yours.

My suggestion is that you get over your problem that happened with a supplier a couple of years ago just like I will get over people that ***** about no free beer when we furnish their bbq meal.

It is about the people and not the cars!

Jay

Run & Gun participant 1998-2005
Old 04-01-2008, 09:49 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #867 gone....
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg(What's his name)? View Post
Ok Gang I am sorry. I was unable to do my duty and help with the parking and the directing of traffic. I will not falter next year. Being the big asswhole that I am I would have shouted down most folks....
I Love you all. Remeber
ITS ABOUT THE PEOPLE.
Love you
Gregg H
Back in Baghdad
Amen, Gregg. You leave for a couple of months and the place goes to hell in a handbasket. Make sure and bring your weapon when you return, we need it.

Personally, I thought the vendors added a lot to the experience. I enjoyed seeing CSXNUT's gorgeous cars, I enjoyed Lonestar's hospitality, I enjoyed seeing Jim Creel's beautiful Daytona coupe (he painted after my car) and I enjoyed TDE's rig. I missed James Yale being there. And I felt even a little guilty that Keith and Lance worked way into the night on that intake gasket. I mean I know they're gearheads and having Kristen taking photos of your bum would keep most of us up late, but they're also here to just hang out with their peeps and shoot the bull.
I also enjoyed Jay's Johnny Walker Blue, Steve's air guitar, Jim Woodard's margaritas and the no less than 20 cars that stopped to see if they could help when I blew a fuse leaving Horseshoe Bay. I had more people so willing to help that they clogged up traffic to make sure I could get running again. Before we even could diagnose the problem, Jacque had a trailer en route. Amazing group of folks. Thanks again, Chris Noland, for finding a blown fuse in a fuse box I didn't even know I had. My stepmother came up from Houston to ride with me and at breakfast on Sunday said, "This is a neat group of folks." I answered, "You know, they really are."

I think this year was a good balance of vendor-member over vendor-sales leech, but I do appreciate the eye out for balance and for maintaining the grassroots focus. We aren't Mid America and, as much as a lot of us love that event, I think we wear that a little proudly. By Texans, For Texans (mostly) and that's kinda how we like it in these parts.
(God, cue the waving Texas flag, the Longhorn steer image and the eagle flying overhead, sniff)
Old 04-02-2008, 05:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #968 / Genesis 427 Aluminum S/O
Not Ranked     

OMG,
Was I doing my "white man's overbite air guitar" again? That's a three beer minimum performance. I'm watching my intake next time.

Everyone needs to cut this crap out, lighten up, appreciate how smoothly it went this year and move on. There are bigger fish to fry here. Let's focus our energy on dumping the hotel for a friendlier place, and figure out how to out do Houston's wing love shack.

OK, cue the lights, let me strap on my Fender Strat', and crank up my Marshall stacks........twangggg!!
SPF #968 w/ Genesis Aluminum 427 S/O
CVAR vintage racer: 1965 Mustang Fastback w/ HP 302