28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2008, 09:32 AM
Miss Texas Cobra Club-08
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #291 *has left the garage*
Not Ranked     

I appreciate your comments, Jim. I am sure the Austin group will discuss all of the above and inform all of us what is decided in the next few months.
Kristen
Old 04-07-2008, 09:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Mr. Copperedge,

My husband and I's frustration with your hotel didn't start with the events on Saturday night. They started when my husband checked in on Thursday. He did not get into the room until 6:30pm. Yes, they comped him drinks in the hotel bar, but that does not excuse the fact that they told him every hour from 3 until 6 to "Come back in half an hour" and he had to come back repeatedly to be told it still wasn't ready. Fortunately he did not have plans that required him to shower or nap prior to dinner.

And then on Friday, when I returned at 2:45 and very much wanted a nap, I discovered my room had not yet been cleaned. I called the front desk to ask what the schedule was so that I could either nap and then leave, or leave and return later. Instead I was told that it should've been cleaned in the morning and I must've had the privacy sign on my door, but that they'd send someone up. When the maid arrived, she could not speak ANY English and could not tell me how long she would take. I am not comfortable being in the room while housekeeping works and wanted to leave and then return for my nap. When I called the front desk to ask how long it would take, I was told that I could schedule a time for housekeeping to come and that they clean up until 4pm. And I was told I didn't need to step out. Which was not at all the issue. I wanted to leave and never got an answer as to approximate time. I ended up at the front desk speaking to the manager who did seem to understand that my issue was not near the fact that my room was not clean, but the fact that I was essentially blamed for the room not being cleaned and made to feel like I should just stick around, and that staff response was less than polite.

It was quite clear that your staff does not communicate well either with guests or with each other. And that housekeeping is either understaffed or just not efficient. And yes, I received an apology in the form of 3 Shiner Bocks, which we don't drink, and a basket of Nutrigrain bars, that we don't eat.

The fact that I was threatened with arrest for being in the parking lot where Hooters had a truck only served to seal our decision to find another place to sleep next year.
Old 04-07-2008, 12:13 PM
6th Generation Texan
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star Classics #240,Candy Apple Red,Keith Craft 418w - 602 HP,584 TQ
Not Ranked     

Colleen,
How long did they have you in handcuffs beside the Hooter's truck ?
Old 04-07-2008, 01:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Fortunately they didn't. But I also was standing in the parking lot which was apparently all it took for the manager to tell everyone that they'd have everyone in the parking lot arrested. I didn't even get any of the food.
Old 04-07-2008, 01:23 PM
6th Generation Texan
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star Classics #240,Candy Apple Red,Keith Craft 418w - 602 HP,584 TQ
Not Ranked     

Well,that's good.
I don't imagine being handcuffed by strangers would involve much fun.

Did Alan bring any for later ?
Old 04-07-2008, 01:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lonestar Classics, 302 stroked to 347; Metallic British Racing Green
Not Ranked     

Jim...you make some valid legal points and some valid social ones. I can't comment or add to some of the b!tching about the rooms and the service since I didn't stay, as I live in Austin, but I DO understand the issues that some staid, uptight, 19th-century-mentality families might have about the quintessentially evil Hooters' truck and its nationally recognized association with the delinquency of minors, corruption of young mothers and the overall breakdown of the family unit in America (sorry...sarcasm is an English disease!), but I have some other points of a more realistic and sensible nature...(oooh, btw, since YOU mentioned it and obviously have knowledge aforethought, can you clarify just exactly 'where' and 'when' it IS appropriate for the Hooters' truck, just in case I (er, I mean anyone ... ) want to attend that particular event?)

1) WRT the Texas alcohol commission; since the 'open bar' to which you refer was a FREE bar, does this still mean there were laws being broken? Let me illustrate my question...if I happen to be standing in the parking area and hand my friend a 'free beer' from the trunk of my car, am I breaking the same law? If not, where is the 'line'? Is it legal to give beer but not hard liquor? At what proof point does something actually become 'hard liquor'? Is it legal to give one beer, but not 'many'? How many is 'many'? How about wine? How about wine coolers? How about REALLY strong coffee? What is the legal definition of a 'bar'? I realize that most of the laws covering alcohol distribution in the United States are at best obscure, and more realistically are grounded in puritanical controls harking back to prohibition and the Pilgrim Fathers, so a little clarification would help.

2) You state that ' The hotel may have acted a little abrasive '. In light of the fact that we have already bemoaned the breakdown of the American family unit and laid the blame clearly and most obviously at Hooters' decadent door, let me also take up the cudgel of 'the breakdown of the American education system' with a minor correctional note, if I may. I believe you meant to say ' The hotel may have acted a little abrasiveLY ' Abrasively, describing HOW the hotel acted, and thus qualifying the verb, should be an ADVERB (abrasively), not an ADJECTIVE (abrasive)...but I digress...

from all that has been implied in this and other threads, admitting that ' The hotel may have acted a little abrasiveLY ' would seem to be a little like saying ' Josef Stalin was not a nice man ' !!!

3) WRT your generous offer (NO sarcasm!) of the use of the ballroom for the 'social event', you did at least admit that it is not as good as sitting in the parking lot with a cold one, but, in all honesty, that is the ONLY reason I (and I suspect a lot of other folks) actually come to this event...SO THAT WE CAN SIT IN THE CAR PARK, WITH OUR FRIENDS (NEW AND OLD), NEXT TO OUR CARS AND EVERYONE ELSE'S, AND DRINK BEER WHILE IDLY BOASTING ABOUT HORSEPOWER AND PAINTJOBS. The ballroom (decorated in black & white checkered bunting notwithstanding) just won't cut it... .

Glyn

PS, don't you love running a hotel? Be so much easier if you didn't have customers and guests.... It sometimes must seem you can't please any of the people any of the time.

"No, I DON'T have an accent, this is how English sounds when it is pronounced correctly!"

Last edited by GlynMeek; 04-07-2008 at 03:18 PM..
Old 04-07-2008, 02:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC - #463 - 427 SOHC
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

Well said, Glyn

My sentiments exactly!

Dee Walters/Cammer
Old 04-07-2008, 05:24 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: JBL now SOLD
Send a message via AIM to jdean
Not Ranked     

Glyn,

If we were in the UK it would all be on surveillance cameras, then there could be no discussion on what all happened and who did what.....;-)
Old 04-07-2008, 06:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star 351W/408CI 525HP
Not Ranked     

Glyn,

Ya'll talk funny! And you be fixun to stir up some hornets with that thar kinda talk!

Your friend, I will follow you and sweep up parts anytime. LOL

I owe ya a cold glass of ice tea for that one.

Larry
Old 04-08-2008, 04:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CAV GT40 #169, Ford 408 Stroker & ZF Transaxle
Not Ranked     
Cool

I did not stay for the dinner Saturday night but I know the Dallas group only served food Friday night and that's what we did last year letting everyone take care of their own drinks. I think it's time for a change anyway, as most would like to get out in the Hill country somewhere but what ever we do we should stick to food and everyone is responsible for their own drinks what ever that would be. If a group is serving drinks and a minor happens to be served or more importantly some one decides to take a blast in their cobra later.........it would not be good!
If the Austin group decides to stay at the Marriott and do the ballroom deal then maybe we should do it Friday or Saturday night only and the other nights you are on your own. I vote for the Hill country!