1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 03-31-2008, 09:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX33849 (currently 460)
Not Ranked     
Default Just being the first to pull the grenade Pin.....

Hey everyone,

I had a great time this year as I always do and the Austin bunch did a bang up job with the planning like they always do, but I woke up this morning and put on my asbestos undies so here it goes....

We have out grown the hotel and frankly I think we have worn out our welcome. It's a shame since now that all the construction is done, the traffic is a non issue but the way we were treated this time by the hotel management shows that it's time to move the party.

I am not that familiar with Austin but would be more than willing to come over for a weekend and help scout new locations.

I'd like to suggest checking out a smaller town like they use for the London cobra show (Ohio it think). Some place that we might make a positive impact on their yearly economy and be welcomed.

The Houston group used a KOA campsite in Conroe for our October meet last year. We all thought Mark had lost his marbles when he suggested it but we were plesantly surprised. They had very nice cabins for us to rent and they are set up for RV's so trailer parking wasn't an issure. They gave us a golf cart to get around in and a party room at no additional charge. There is bound to be something like that around the lakes.

I think the flaming will be less severe than it would have been in the past as I talked to quite a number of people that were dissatisfied with the Hotel management. The members I spoke with included people from Houston, Dallas and Austin.

Let the discussion begin.
Old 03-31-2008, 09:10 AM
Miss Texas Cobra Club-08
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #291 *has left the garage*
Not Ranked     

doesn't matter where to me..... just give me the address!!!!
(i like the idea of central texas, but further east or west doesn't matter too much)
Kristen
Old 03-31-2008, 09:19 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #621, Keith Craft 408
Not Ranked     
Default Fire in the hole!!!

Dennis:
No need taking it on by yourself. Let me second the motion. The hotel management definately is trying to push us away, we must oblige them and find another location. If there is anything I can do to help get us to that "New Home" by scouting out new areas, please let me know.

Austin>>> Great job putting together a stellar event. Did you have anything to do with getting the tollway system finished?
Great tailgate parties hosted by all. The food was fantastic.

On the topic of onsite vendors>>> If KC wasn't there, I would have been in my daily driver. Just another reason why I bought a KC motor. I didn't ask him to look at it, he said, bring it over. Pulled my intake, changed gaskets, put it back together and after that said, if it's not right, I'll put together another short block for you. He is "First Class". Keith/Lance>Great job, my hats off to both of you.
Old 03-31-2008, 09:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Count me in as one that is ready to move. I'll be dealing with the service issues I encountered directly with Marriott. But Alan and I have already discussed staying off site next year if we are back at the Marriott. We usually have breakfast there before heading out and Alan's comment was "I'm not giving them another dime."

When we started out there, they needed us for weekend business. And if you recall, we pretty much had the hotel to ourselves a couple of years. Then we had the soccer kids in town. And this year there was the wedding. (I'm still wondering what kind of ordinance Round Rock has that makes it illegal to eat Hooters in a parking lot). So they don't need us anymore. And we aren't eating there anymore, which probably makes them cranky.

I'm open to all kinds of ideas, not just hotels. Heck, I was even looking at the trailer wondering if we could put a couple of cots in it and just find a field somewhere.

Dee, I know you don't want to move, and have spent a lot of time looking for alternatives and have expressed that you think this is our best/only option. Unfortunately, they made it extremely clear that they don't want us to come back next year. Even if the group decides they are willing to go back, we need a plan in place in the event the hotel says they won't book us. Or will book us only if there's no outside food/beverage brought in. Or that we park the trailers offsite. Or that we can't congregate in the lot. Things that aren't conducive to our event.
Old 03-31-2008, 09:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star 351W/408CI 525HP
Not Ranked     

I agree with you all, and having lived in the area for years there are a bunch of good places.

Requirements are

1. Room accomodations
2. Trailer Parking
3. Outside meeting area
4. Location for good cruises
5. Central to Austin, Houston and Dallas.

Idea's -
1. Horseshoe Bay where we took the picture has a really nice Mariott
2. Lake Travis area - local hotels and Carlos and Charlies - Lakeway?
3. Boerne - Tapatio Springs - This would be ideal except for distance

We all hate to change because untill this year it was perfect. Hopefully next year Mariott Round Rock will miss us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will meet you guys in a dusty field with hot dogs if need be!

Larry Boatner
Old 03-31-2008, 10:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

What about Marble Falls??
There are also many new motels going up on IH 35 North now too.
I came by the motel about 1:30 pm Friday and did not see any trailers or cars.
I hope I was at the correct motel.
Rick
Old 03-31-2008, 11:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: JBL - TK0600, Electromotive EFI, Keith Craft 408W "standard crate", ~575hp
Send a message via MSN to Texas-Saluki Send a message via Skype™ to Texas-Saluki
Not Ranked     
Smile boom

Dennis,

I have to agree with your assessment with the hotel. I have to admit I prefer Marriott properties and stay in them for the majority of my business travel.

I am not sure if we have out grown the facilities or if the current management does not understand the requirements of a major outdoor event. What I know is clear is we have received push back the last two years, with this year even more.

The event is always moving so fast it is hard to keep up with all of the comments and I was shocked to hear what the hotel pushed back on us this year. The problem is maybe we are growing in our ability and capacity to plan this event but they still view us as a few people getting together and need a place to stay.

Questions I have for the group. Do we have anyone that plans large events for corporate gathering? Our requirements are a bit different but if we can find some of the key contacts at major destinations this may become an easy solution.

If we do choose to move the location for 2009 I would recommend we develop a specification requirement. This would outline all of the needs and size of the group to ensure we don’t get to a point where they say “you can’t do that” when we are in the middle of doing it.

The Austin group always does a killer job on this event and I don’t want to create extra work for them nor take away the fun of planning the event. We all have real jobs and doing extra stuff always falls to the bottom of the list.

Cammer let us know how we can help. We can create a committee, I can create a private forum on the txcobraclub.com site to keep the planning to the core group (this is brain storming) to create both the specification/requirements for 2009.

Let me know how I can help
http://www.thenolands.com

www.txcobraclub.com
Old 03-31-2008, 01:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: LS427, Keith Craft 408, TKO-600, 370 Rear-End
Not Ranked     

I have talked for over a year now about one of the most fantastic cruises, if not the best, in the state of Texas; from Bandera west on Hwy 16 to Vanderpool, north on Ranch Road 187 to Hwy 39 into the west side of Kerrville (crossing the Guadalupe River at least a half a dozen times / not to mention at least a dozen good swimming holes along the way). Then leaving Kernville on Hwy 19 to Fredericksburg then to Lukenbach on FM 13276 and on to Boerne then back to Bandera on Hwy 46 / 16.

Ann and I were in Bandera a several weeks ago and not only did the cruise in our Corvette but talked to Mr. Reese the owner of Old Town Square Hotel in Bandera about hosting a small Cobra group, 10 couples / cars, for a cruise in late May / early June and he was very receptive and had Sandra his hotel manager contact me for the details of my request.

After reading the post today I called Sandra and gave her a brief overview of what we would require for our event and the dates. She responded that they had a complex that she referred to as “Mansfield Park” about a mile out of town and thought that would work for our function. It is a ball park / rodeo arena / baseball park. They host large biker groups on a regular basis and for the most part turn over the town to the function. She is going to do a little research and get back to me in a few days.

Question, would this venue / location be acceptable? If so we could scout the location in early June.

Gary

“Not a worry in the world a cold beer in my hand life is good today, life is good today”
Old 03-31-2008, 01:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC - #463 - 427 SOHC
Not Ranked     
Default Event Location

To All,

I am in complete agreement with finding another location for our spring event.

It became very obvious to me on Thursday night that we had outgrown the parking lot.................last year was marginal...........this year we had outgrown the lot.

The other problems that manifested themselves this year......from the treatment of our group by the management of the hotel and reports/complaints made to me by the group members have made it obvious that we need another venue for our event.

I intend to discuss all of this with my contact at the hotel............the person I have been dealing with since we started at this site...... to see if we are getting the correct message from the hotel............I just want to hear it exactly from the hotel management...........what were/are the problems or current objections to this event being hosted at the hotel.

Irregardless of what they say.................I definitely have surmised that the hotel/parking is no longer sufficient for our needs.

Everyone in the Austin group feels the same way.................we WILL HAVE a new location for our event next year!!!

We will be actively searching for another location for next year.............we WILL find another place that appreciates the income that flows to them as a result of hosting our event!!!!!

Our thanks to all who attended this year...........for all the effort/work put in by all................this year was by far the biggest event that we have had.........lots of new cars/members...........this wonderful group is expanding by leaps and bounds...........don't you just LOVE it???

Dee Walters/Cammer
Old 03-31-2008, 01:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Annual Texas Cobra Event

Saluki, you took my idea. Sorta like a spec for the event. I had been thinking of where to move it and I was thinking about how many rooms, trailer parking, car show parking, food and other necessities......

The Austin group (myself included) had started talking about scouting out alternatives.

I'd like us (Austin) to come up with about 5-8 alternative places to hold the event. We can hash it somewhat, and than have a small number of "reps" from each chapter discuss it as a group to come up with a place.

I too like the idea of a smaller town. I know Burnet and Marble Falls have frequently have car shows during the year and really appreciate having them!
Possibly at the fair grounds, possibly the Marriot in Horshoe Bay, Canyon of the Eagles on Lake Buchanan, Hyatt in Bastrop...............

The Austin group has already started discussing this and want to start checking them out.

We'll also need to start looking for the date so when we find a place we can reserve it.

Tom.......the other Yellow car.
Old 03-31-2008, 01:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I have it on good authority (the City Manager that we just stole) that Bee Cave is working on a hotel/resort to open in 2010. Doesn't help us for next year, but an option to throw out there.

Oh and the dates for next year are March 26-29.
Old 03-31-2008, 02:47 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: JBL now SOLD
Send a message via AIM to jdean
Not Ranked     

Bwana,

Let us know what you hear back.....sounds promising.

One question....how close is the nearest Auto Zone ;-)

J.
Old 03-31-2008, 02:50 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #122 (Sold) : Ford GT #484 Heritage Edition; 2008 GT500 Red/Black
Not Ranked     

i've sent an email to our person in Chicago that keeps tract of our hotels. I will see if we have any in the Austin Area.

I know we have a new shopping center going up in San Marcos that's going to have 2 hotels on site and we could use that parking lot with no issues. If it was Dallas or Houston I could tell you some off the top of my head but not in the hill country area.

I think we are all ready to move somewhere that wants us a little more.
2006 Ford GT #484 Heritage Edition
2003 Hummer H1 OpenTop
2003 Hummer H1 Wagon
Old 03-31-2008, 03:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

http://www.koakampgrounds.com/where/tx/43153/

http://www.fredericksburgtexasrvpark.com/amenities.html

Alan seconds the idea of Gary's cruise with a minor modification.

Stay in Fredericksburg, cruise 16 thru Kerrville to Medina. 337 to Vanderpool. (potential photo ops at Lost Maples state park) then up 187 to 39 and back to Kerrville.

He used to have a deer lease down there and says 39 and 337 are beautiful drives.

Last edited by Mrs 66 Snake; 03-31-2008 at 03:15 PM..
Old 03-31-2008, 04:11 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #122 (Sold) : Ford GT #484 Heritage Edition; 2008 GT500 Red/Black
Not Ranked     

Ok so here is a funny....for people that were here 5 years ago you will remember a little Townplace Suites Hotel on Capital of Texas that we stayed in and had one hell of a time getting the trailers out of...Well I guess we own that one now..oh well that won't work
2006 Ford GT #484 Heritage Edition
2003 Hummer H1 OpenTop
2003 Hummer H1 Wagon
Old 03-31-2008, 04:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: LS427, Keith Craft 408, TKO-600, 370 Rear-End
Not Ranked     

Fredericksburg would work, Kerrville would work, Boerne would work that way we could cruise east and west. I’m telling you I’ve been there and done that and this cruising is second to none and there are a lot of little towns that would love to have us just for lunch. There is a great BBQ, gas station, beer joint in Hunt, TX that has a great swimming hole almost right at the front door.

If we decide this is what you want to do I will volunteer to help / do the research?

Gary

“Not a worry in the world a cold beer in my hand life is good today, life is good today”
Old 03-31-2008, 04:20 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #586, 535hp.460
Not Ranked     
Default It's dang near unanimous!!

Dennis,
As you know I am also on this bandwagon, and I also have been talking with various members of the Austin group since last Thursday about a move in 2009.
That being said, I have complete faith in the Austin branch of the TCC in finding multiple options as well as support from both Houston and Dallas in whatever needs to be done whenever it needs to be done.
I do lean toward any area used to a biker or rodeo croud which are known for parking lot parties and trailers. I will also be more than happy to help out in any way I can as Austin is in easy reach and Mary & I will be back this Friday for the weekend for Parents weekend for John & his fraternity.
Together, we can pull this off, but I WILL say this was the BEST TCC event we have had yet when you pull the pinheads/Marriott asst. managers out of the mix....Great cars, Great food, and most of all GREAT PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-31-2008, 04:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 210 / CSX 4323
Not Ranked     

The Hyatt at Lost Pines in Bastrop....just outside of Austin would be a great alternative. Here is the link:

http://www.lostpines.hyatt.com/hyatt/hotels/index.jsp

Easy to get to as the new Tollway 130 from Georgetown goes right down to 71 and it is on the East side of town so easy for Houston drivers as well.

I have had groups of 350 there and they did a great job and they all kinds of Bars and Outdoor pavillions, etc. plenty of parking.
Old 03-31-2008, 06:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star 351W/408CI 525HP
Not Ranked     

I agree that the Hyatt Lost pines is incredible. I have been to several outings there. Problem maybe mixing Cobras (Loud) and Golfers (Quite). Did anyone besides me ( I play over 200 rounds of golf a year) notice the looks from the fairway we got at the group photo. LOL

Larry Boatner

It's the event not the location!!!
Old 03-31-2008, 07:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I'd love to stay at the Lost Pines resort, but not for this event. I hate paying $120/night for the Marriott when I'm not in the room or using the amenities. As much as I think I'd use the pool or the spa, I don't think I'd really get around to it. I like the cruises to lunch and the tailgates and the visiting. So actually spending time out of the car and parking lot is limited.