Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2008, 05:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Introduction

New guy here. My name is Robert and I live in McKinney.

I am not yet a Cobra owner, but have been casually looking for one for a while. My plan is to find a slightly used one that is all ready to go. I have been reading these board for a while, in an effort to educate myself about these cars, but I have a long ways to go.

Needless to say, any advice that folks can offer will be welcome.
Old 06-17-2008, 05:46 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Previous owner of SPF#1938, with a Keith Craft 496ci Genesis 427 side oiler, 667 FWHP, 633 FWTQ, 560 RWHP, 550 RWTQ.
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

Welcome to the lovely word of Cobras. My suggestion is to come to one of the monthly meetings here in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area and visit with the attendees. We meet on the first Saturday of each month at a local eatery selected by a member. There is usually a post about the time and location anywhere from a week to a couple days before the meeting.
We have ERA's, Kirkhams, Superformance, FFR's, Hurricane, Lone Star and probably a few others I can't think of right now that you can see first hand and talk to the owners and pick their brains.
Hope to see you at a future meeting.

Don't interfere with somethin' that ain't botherin' you none.
Old 06-17-2008, 05:57 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA GT #2077, 331 SBF, Webers, Gurney Eagle heads
Not Ranked     
Default Welcome Robert!

I am in McKinney and so is John Ross. You can see us anytime, look at the cars, pick our brains, and yes, do attend the monthly meetings. We have a good social group and there are several "owners in waiting" you can compare notes with Keep an eye on the Texas Forum a few days before the first Saturday of every month and the meeting place will be identified.

Sam
Old 06-17-2008, 06:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks, guys. I will definitely watch for the location of the next meeting, and will be looking forward to meeting you. I don't want to be a bother to the folks in McKinney, but I would enjoy seeing your cars and getting to know you some time when you're not too busy.

Robert
Old 06-17-2008, 06:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane #1037, 351C, TKO 600
Not Ranked     
Default Hi Again

Robert,

I new it would not take long for a response from the Dallas area folks. I knew Sam would jump up to the plate. He has a great looking ERA and helped me out with his cost spread sheet. Thanks Sammy.

I sent you another PM but you already introduced yourself to the group.

BTW MR. Woodard is from Nebraska.

Gregg H

"Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory."
Old 06-17-2008, 06:47 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane Motorsports; KC408w: 546HP/ 553TQ
Not Ranked     

Looks like this is the Nebraska Club Cobra Forum... welcome Robert !!

If you haven't stumbled across these yet, here are a couple of sites that I checked daily while I mulled over my car.

http://www.clubcobra.com/classifieds/showcat.php/cat/2
http://www.cobracountry.com/home2.html

You couldn't be set any better for cobra neighbors than DFW... (no offense Austin or Houston).

I have a few of our DFW monthly gathering videos hosted on my verizon.net page. Looking forward to meeting you.
Old 06-17-2008, 07:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #491, Red with Black Stripes, 438 Windsor by Keith Craft Racing dynoed at 640hp, Street and Race Prepped.
Not Ranked     

Welcome to the group Robert! This is a great group of folks here in Texas. While looking at the Cobra Replicas, if you have any questions on Backdrafts, give me a shout. I'm the dealer for them here in the South. Or, if you just want to ask any questions about any of the cars, I have worked on just about all of them.

Bests of luck, James
281-804-5730
Watch out! You may get BIT!!!
Old 06-18-2008, 03:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Send a message via Yahoo to Joe Wicked
Not Ranked     

Welcome Robert. I am one of the owners in waiting as well. I am a few years out from getting mine as I have a few bills to pay off first. I am learning as much as I can about the cars and helping where I can as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshel1 View Post
Looks like this is the Nebraska Club Cobra Forum... welcome Robert !!
That is because we rule.
Old 06-18-2008, 05:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone. John, I checked out some of the videos. Great stuff.
Old 06-18-2008, 09:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Robert,
What part of Nebraska are you from? I know Greg is from a small town just south of Omaha, and I grew up around Grand Island.

I did not know Mr. Woodard was a Cornhusker also.

All of the guys in the group have welcomed me since I joined last fall without a car. I have been privileged to be able to help some in getting their cars ready for the road/back on the road. I have learned a lot about the cars and the history. I didn't really know anything other than I loved the look. I could not tell you the difference between an original and a replica, but I know am beginning to tell the differences between each make. Just don't be scared when you see a guy asking for a T.I.T. job.
Old 06-18-2008, 09:59 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #867 gone....
Not Ranked     

Oh God, another Cornhol....I mean Cornhusker.
You know what the "N" stands for? That stands for "Knowledge!"

Welcome to the group Robert.
The first Saturday of next month might be a little thin, being July 4 and all, but we just might have to schedule an off-schedule get together.

PS-How do you get a Nebraska grad off your porch? Pay him for the pizza!
Old 06-18-2008, 10:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I grew up in Holdrege (population 5000), which is thirty miles southwest of Kearney. I went to UNL and moved to Texas upon graduating in 1991.

A man seeking a T.I.T. job, eh? I may have to rethink seeking to join this group . . . .
Old 06-18-2008, 10:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75coug View Post
I grew up in Holdrege (population 5000), which is thirty miles southwest of Kearney. I went to UNL and moved to Texas upon graduating in 1991.

A man seeking a T.I.T. job, eh? I may have to rethink seeking to join this group . . . .
I know Holdredge. I have family that lives in Minden and my sister lives in Gibbon and works for UNK. Most of my family is up there still. Most live right around Grand Island. I graduated High School in 91 and joined the Navy. I moved here in 2000.

To save you the trouble this thread explains it. Requesting T.I.T. for 4/20/08
Old 06-18-2008, 04:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CAV GT40 #169, Ford 408 Stroker & ZF Transaxle
Not Ranked     

Lots of experienced Cobra owners and builders in this group so most any question you have about any manufacturer can be answered. Great group young and old!
Old 06-18-2008, 07:55 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star Classics #89 Keith Craft Genesis 427 so, stroked to 482, 649 hp. Sabre GT 40 #16 351W stroked to 408, 527hp, TWM stack injection, Fast XFI, G50/50.
Not Ranked     

Hey Robert,

Welcome to the group. I also live in Mckinney. There are getting to be quite a few cars in the north Dallas area. I think we are up to 4 in Mckinney alone.

John
Old 06-19-2008, 05:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #968 / Genesis 427 Aluminum S/O
Not Ranked     
Cool Welcome to the money pit society

Greetings Robert,

Welcome to the madness. Beware, Sam and I are OU grads, so that gives us license for banter.

I too wanted a "slightly" used car, did some research, and traveled to Miami to pick up Superformance #968.

Learn to separate the books and keep your spouse from seeing the actual cost. I am finding no matter what condition, sooner or later, you're going to work on it.

Sooner (Me): Clutch, brakes, and eventually motor. (That last one was by choice)
Later (Kristen): Her ERA ran like a top, but electrical problem finally abandoned her in the middle of an intersection during an evening cruise.

Then of coarse you've got the thrashers: Miles and John Ross. Race or track it until you hit a wall or inflatable sign.

Don't forget the firemen: John Dean and Jim J.. They enjoy setting their engine bay on fire. One even roughs a homeless guy up for his blanket to display the "beat the fire out" technique.

Oh yeah, or you can send your car off for a "freshen up" like Larry R.. Watch the car vanish for months, then reappear with holes punched it the doors. Then STILL run like cr@p.

How about never receiving the parts to complete. Bwana Gary would be the place to start.

Or NEVER satisfied, so let's add one more performance part Patrick.

I would recommend talking with the guys who "never" have problems (Yeah right). Jim W., both Nate and Richard P., Jay N. (when he has a Cobra), Gary, .... and the list goes on. Of coarse I think they're just hiding all there trials and tribulations.

We'll see you at one of the meetings. Just beware of the initiation fee. It's a hum dinger. Also, don't let Kristen convince you there is a secret hand shake. It's a trick!!!!!
SPF #968 w/ Genesis Aluminum 427 S/O
CVAR vintage racer: 1965 Mustang Fastback w/ HP 302
Old 06-19-2008, 06:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: LS427, Keith Craft 408, TKO-600, 370 Rear-End
Not Ranked     

Robert,

I to would like to welcome you to the group. Steve is right there is a tremendous amount of knowledge and help readily available from the group for almost any project so it is to your advantage to jump in, enjoy your self and get to know group.

I did the build from scratch which is both very rewarding and very frustrating. You do however learn a lot especially how to improvise and scrounge for parts. My Lone Star is currently at the paint shop but I hope to have it back and reassembled by the October meeting.

Look forward to meeting you and hope you make the July meeting.

Oh yes, I think we now have 4 cars in Plano.

Bwana Gary

“Not a worry in the world a cold beer in my hand life is good today, life is good today”
Old 06-19-2008, 07:40 AM
Miss Texas Cobra Club-08
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #291 *has left the garage*
Not Ranked     

welcome, Robert. Since i was dragged into this.......
I'd like to be the first goddess to welcome you to the unique group of Cobra lovers in the DFW area.

Steve..... I do believe Jim W has had an issue .... but keeps it hidden!!!
I don't think Richard has had any that i know of, but Nathan has to stay on his toes to avoid turtles!
Gary.... you meaning Bwana or one of the former cobra owners- sharapoo or morris??
Morris had a 'little' electrical issue or two, as well!

anyway..... if you go down the 'list' of threads on ALL COBRA TALK, you'll see 99% of them are dealing with 'issues'. yikes!

So. after my little dissertation, 'watch, learn, scratch your head, watch some more, and be prepared to do whatever it is at least 2 or 3 times!!!!'

the goddess
Old 06-19-2008, 08:35 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Previous owner of SPF#1938, with a Keith Craft 496ci Genesis 427 side oiler, 667 FWHP, 633 FWTQ, 560 RWHP, 550 RWTQ.
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

OK, a little summary. I am from Nebraska. I was born in Lincoln and raised in Omaha, graduated High School there. I had relatives in Geneva, Grete and Dorchester, but all have passed on. I attended school in Kansas City for a year and then enlisted in the Navy. After the Navy returned to Omaha and attended UNO for a year and then moved to California and remained there for 28 years before moving to Texas in '87. I completed my education in California.
Regarding an issue Kristen mentioned, ..........not sure about that one. I like working on my car and tinkering with it. I have had to remove the transmission a couple times due to leaky seals and I've replaced the rear wheel/hub bearing.
That's about it!

Don't interfere with somethin' that ain't botherin' you none.
Old 06-19-2008, 09:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks again for being so cordial, everyone. I am definitely going to have to print this thread (and maybe two copies of Steve's post) for easy future reference.