14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        
Old 11-10-2008, 06:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default L.J. Owens passed away Friday nite.

Sorry to have say or write this but a long time friend of mine and a local Cobra owner, L.J. Owens, passed away Friday nite in Florida. I will keep everyone posted about funeral times and such, please keep his Son and rest of his friends and family in your prayers.

This was posted on another site it gives a little detail as to what happened.

LJ left for a 2 week vacation in the Viper. He went to visit a couple of old High School buddies and to visit my son down in Miami. I had hoped to fly down and meet up with him for a little while and drive back with him but work got in the way.

The autocross was supposed to be sort of a shakedown for the Viper so that we could see if it had any inherent handling issues. And even tho we were on the original 2001 super hard tires with no traction we found we couldn't spin it, even tho LJ tried, as he so dearly loved to go round in circles. The autocross told us what needed to be changed to suit our styles. We now knew how to change the alignment and that it needed tires desperately.

We got some new RA1 rubber tweaked the settings and then LJ headed off for his trip. He kept calling me with his MPG and we found that he got 22 mpg with the cruise control set at 75 mph. He was so proud of that.

He met with one H.S. buddy in Jacksonville, Fla and the headed to Miami to see my son. They took in the boat show there and found us a nice little boat at only $34M then headed up to Tampa to met with H.S. buddy #2.

On his way home from there he took a very slow pace and went on every little side trip that interested him. He was on the coast road (hwy 98) when it began to rain so he put the top up and headed for the Interstate.

Apparently a few minutes after he got on the interstate while he was traveling with the cruise control set at about 70 he suddenly veered off the road. Witnesses said it was as if he was avoiding something in the road. He hit the wet grassy median and spun the car backwards into oncoming traffic. He sideswiped a Bimmer, gained a little control over the car and then went backwards off the road. Then he hit something that stopped the car very quickly.

Then it went bad. Somehow his seat belt snapped and he was ejected from the car thru the roof.

The officer said it looked as if the seat belt had been cut. I know it was in great shape before he left and since I talked to him several times that day I know that if there had been an issue he would have told me.

They can't figure out what caused him to swerve in the first place and say they've never seen anything like the seat belt. They find nothing with the car that could have caused the accident.

They also said that minus the seat belt snapping he would have been all right.

Those of you that know him probably liked him. He was a great guy and would literally give you the shirt off his back.

He will leave a big hole in my wife and I's life. And while we weren't genetically related he was truly my kids' Uncle.

We don't know when the services will be, but I will post on the forum.
Old 11-10-2008, 06:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1969 Mustang Fastback Pro-Street, constantly changing ongoing project!
Not Ranked     

Rest In Peace..........I pray comfort & peace for the family & friends

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body; but rather a skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW, WHAT A RIDE!"
Old 11-10-2008, 08:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: # 238 lonestar w/IRS rear end
Not Ranked     

I had the pleasure of meeting LJ when I bought his cobra a couple of weeks ago. It was obvious that this guy loves life and lives to the fullest. my prayers are with family/friends that knew LJ.
Old 11-10-2008, 09:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance Roush 427
Not Ranked     

Haven't seen L J for several years, he stopped by the Panoz Racing School to see Jim Woodard and myself in his Purple Lone Star Cobra. So sad to hear the news, please post any info on services. L J was a special person and will be missed by all that knew him. db
Texas Motor Speedway
Old 11-10-2008, 10:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra #42 View Post
Haven't seen L J for several years, he stopped by the Panoz Racing School to see Jim Woodard and myself in his Purple Lone Star Cobra. So sad to hear the news, please post any info on services. L J was a special person and will be missed by all that knew him. db
I will let everyone know service times and addresses for flowers, directions, and such.

You know it just seems unbelievable he stopped by my shop to say hi and let me know he was leaving for Florida on vacation. We talked about the car he was trying to manufacture, similar to a racing kit car, and what he was going to be doing in Florida. I never knew it would be the last time but I am so glad I at least got the chance.

Last edited by Jimi G; 11-10-2008 at 02:42 PM..
Old 11-10-2008, 03:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

If anyone has any type of memorable story, heart warming, funny, or anything at all, about L.J. please email them to me so they can be given to his son. Because of where he lived he was not able to see L.J. a lot or his friends, and thanks in advance I know he will really appreciate the stories you guys have. guthrie01@juno.com
Old 11-10-2008, 04:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via MSN to CowtownCobra
Not Ranked     

I think I remember him. Did he always leave the top on? Car was parked at LS a lot...
Old 11-10-2008, 07:20 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Previous owner of SPF#1938, with a Keith Craft 496ci Genesis 427 side oiler, 667 FWHP, 633 FWTQ, 560 RWHP, 550 RWTQ.
Not Ranked     
Unhappy

I'm so sorry to hear this news. DB is right, LG stopped by to see us out at the track a little over 4 years ago. I first met LJ when I was building my Lonestar. His car was at their facility a lot and if I remember correctly, he was having them install and IRS in it, a Thunderbird unit.
It just goes to show you never know what life is going to bring you.
Rest in peace LJ.

Don't interfere with somethin' that ain't botherin' you none.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Alright guys here is the funeral info and wake info for Chris, L.J.'s son.

We have a date for both services. LJ's body can't be back here until next week. The official memorial service will be held Nov 21, 2008 at the Wildwood Chapel at Laureland cemetery in the Oak Cliff area of Dallas.

LJ hadn't lived in Dallas since the early 70's but that's where his parents were buried.

I am also throwing the combination "Let's introduce Chris to his real Dad & Wake/Celebration/Party on LJ's side of town this Saturday so LJ won't be here in person so to speak. All the details have yet to be set, but we will collect any written remembrances or stories plus have a PA so people can get up and tell their stories to Chris and the group.

It will be a little bit like a Wake in that it will be a certain amount of BYOB (maybe) and covered dish. We'll put his new motorcycle front and center and a bunch of his racing pictures to sorta set the tone for the evening. The final format might be modified somewhat as we begin to reach all the people, but it will be more of an upbeat type celebration of all the things that were LJ.

All info per email from David Bennett

Once again guys we could use as many stories as yall can come up with, if you will not be attending the wake for Chris this weekend then email them to me at jimigmoney@yahoo.com Thanks in advance to anyone that takes the time to put together some stories for me, I know L.J.'s son will truly appreciate even the smallest ones.
Old 11-13-2008, 07:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Ok guys the time and place is now set for the wake/remembrance of L.J.'s life. It will be held on Saturday November 15, 2008 from 2pm-5pm at Grayson County Line (L.J.'s old bar). It is located at 11285 FM 730 N Azle, Texas 76020, their phone number is 817-444-5464.

There will be brisket provided, but please bring your favorite side dish.

We'd like to introduce L.J.'s son Chris to his real Dad. If you have any stories, big or small about how L.J. touched your life please write them down and bring them with you. We will be compiling them and giving them to Chris at the funeral. There will also be an open mic if you would prefer to share your story with Chris and the group.

If you cannot attend please send your stories to me at guthrieindustrial@yahoo.com

The funeral will be at 3:30pm November 21st at Laureland Cemetery in Oak Cliff.