14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2008, 05:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR3542K, 347 C. I., EFI, T-5, Miata Front Sway Bar, 3 Link, Red with White Stripes
Not Ranked     

Bill,
What time are you planning to leave the rally point. I'll try to herd the Austin Group that way. If we are running late we will see you at the garage.
Steve
Old 12-10-2008, 05:36 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #621, Keith Craft 408
Not Ranked     

We need to roll in between 1030 - 1100
If we can have everyone shoot for being at the Comfort Suites for 1000, unload cars, Santa in his suit, 3-4 mile drive to the ranch. 1045 should be easy.
Old 12-11-2008, 07:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane #1037, 351C, TKO 600
Not Ranked     
Default Game time decision!

I wanted everyone to know that I may not be able to make on Saturday. I hurt my back and things aren't going well. I am do for a spinal tap this week if my insurance would get off there butts. I am doing all I can to stay immobile in order to have the strength to make it on Saturday. I just wanted to say thanks to all of you for making this a great event.

God Bless and I hope and pray to see you Saturday.

Gregg H

"Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory."
Old 12-11-2008, 05:36 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Bad luck

Gregg:
Sorry to hear about your back. Take care of yourself, we know you'll be there in spirit.

Thanks again to everyone for their help, donations and prayers. The weather is suppose to be great. After 3" of snow last night here at the house, we were just a little worried. We'll get pictures and a write up posted as soon as we can.
Old 12-11-2008, 08:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, 408 525HP/490TQ, Mass Flow EFI
Not Ranked     

This should be a fantastic event, but kid obligations (basketball and soccer) and tending to rental property this weekend (not so much fun). I will be unable to make it.
BE SAFE everyone..
Old 12-12-2008, 11:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Scratched from the line up

Well gang the coach called me into her office and said I am a no go for the trip to San Antonio. The back just isn't getting any better right now. I guess it gets worse before it can get better. Be safe heading to San Antonio and back home. Thanks from all the vets on what you are doing. God Bless.

Gregg H

"Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory."
Old 12-13-2008, 03:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR3542K, 347 C. I., EFI, T-5, Miata Front Sway Bar, 3 Link, Red with White Stripes
Not Ranked     
Default Greg we missed you!

Sorry you couldn't go. It was a great trip and the weather was good too. Lots of rides and talking to the guys. Great B-B-Q for lunch. The Houston guys did a great job pulling this together! Maybe an annual Christmas event? How about it Bill?
Steve
Old 12-13-2008, 04:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default You Guys Rock

I wish I could have been there with you all. I have been checking the web site off and on all day waiting for updates. I just wanted to thank all of you from the bottom of my heart on what you all have done. God Bless you all and God Bless those who are and have served this great country.

Gregg H

Old 12-13-2008, 04:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Photos

I posted a few pictures on the Yahoo Group for the Austin Cobra Club if you want to see them.
Steve
Old 12-13-2008, 07:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hats off to the Houston group!!!! Thank you for letting me be a part of this event.
I was very humbled today.
God Bless our troops.
Old 12-13-2008, 09:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lots fo different cars that change all of the time
Not Ranked     
Default all I can say is

WWWWWWOOOOOOOOWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will wait for the official pics from the group. I don't want to steal their thunder. I am sooooo humbled by what happened today!!!!!!!

Jay

Run & Gun participant 1998-2005
Old 12-13-2008, 09:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Wow, we are so glad to have been a part of todays events. Thinking out loud, it would be so cool if we could bring some of the Soldiers up to San Marcos to join us for the Spring meet.

Thank you to everyone that put todays event together. We are also so glad to have learned more about the organization.

James & Claudia

Special thanks to Tom and the Bissonnets for helping us with our overheating problem on the way down.
Old 12-14-2008, 04:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Send a message via AIM to Clois Harlan
Not Ranked     

I can only imagine the good all of you have done for the moral of every soldier you came in contact with this weekend. I can't wait to see your pictures. I wish I could have been there to share in the event.

Clois

"Let's roll"

"Be part of Something Good
......Leave Something Good Behind!"
from CD "Long Road Out of Eden"
Old 12-14-2008, 12:16 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default What a day

I'll have to save my official comments until tomorrow. We just got home, cleaned up the car, unloaded the truck and have to get ready for my office Christmas party. I want to share some comments made by others that attended.
Here's a link you may want to check out. http://www.mysanantonio.com/military...than_cars.html
PS: we were on KENS channel 5 last night and this morning.

----------------------------------
Teresa and I made it home safe and sound and only a little wet and dusty! Bill thanks so much for arranging this trip. It was awesome and inspiring to be able to repay these Vets, if only in a small way, for their sacrifices. Hope everyone has a safe return too!
Ken
----------------
Great event with the best group of people! What can you ask for? The bravest soldiers and the best group of friends.
You guys are wonderful. Thank you so much for all the thoughtful donations and gifts. The soldiers were absolutely speechless.

Here's wishing you all a safe trip home and the happiest of holidays!

James
------------------------
A copy of the article that appeared in the local San Antonio news is attached. These are memories of a special time with a group of friends that I will cherish for a lifetime!

Thank you so much for organizing this wonderful outing, Bill! And kuddos to you, Jim Driesch for all of the efforts that you made over the last several weeks with your vendors and customers - what a great contribution you made from all!

I know for Dave and I, this is an organization that we will be thinking about throughout the year not just at Christmas time. So we are ready, willing and able for the next trip to San Antonio!

Merry Christmas to you all!
Dave and Debra
------------------------
Thanks again to Bill and everyone else that had a hand in planning this
event. I got involved kind of at the last minute and just had enough
time to say "I am coming". Being a part of this has literally changed
my life. My daughter and I had to stop several times on the way home
and reflect on what we had been a part of. Meeting the soldiers and
being able to help was priceless. This will become a long relationship
with our family and Operation Comfort. When we got home, my wife and
three other kids sat glued to our every word about the day. Plans have
been made to write cards and letter to the soldiers in the hospital and
for ways the kids can raise money to send as donations.

On the way home, we went through New Braunfels and Bastrop to HWY 290,
I was pulled over by a DPS officer. How fast???? I was scooting along
at just under 3 digits. When the officer asked what we were up to we
explained about the day. He disappeared back to his cruiser and
returned a few minutes later. He had given me a warning and told us
that he was aware of Operation Comfort. He is retired USMC and served
in Somalia. He then went on to tell us that every soldier that comes
home from war carries scars whether or not they are visible. We talked
on the side of 290 for alomost 40 minutes. He shared with us stories
of his rehab and those that he knew. After talking he formally
introduced himself, Juan Gonzales, shook both our hands and said to
just keep doing what we were doing. He then thanked us for our service
to the soldiers and bid us a good trip. He then said "try to keep it
reasonable from now on o.k.?"

When we got home we realized that it had just stopped raining and Cindy
told me that it had rained for about 45 minutes and had stopped about
10 minutes ago. Being stopped by officer Gonzales and the resulting
conversation saved us from getting wet.

By the way when he thanked us for our service to the troops it caused
us to cry. There we were two grown men and a 15 year old crying openly
on the side of the HWY with no shame or remorse. He then told us not
to cry in front of the wounded if we could help it because it upsets
them that their injuries have upset us.

The soldiers have paid a terrible price for our freedom and then thank
us for our efforts when we do something so simple as driving our cars
to visit them. Somehow this needs to be balanced back out. What we
did was really not a lot different than just getting together to go for
a cruise. Sure it took some planning and a lot of effort and some
sacrifice but in the end it was nothing in comparison to what the
soldiers have done. I for one am going to make sure that every soldier
I come in contact with knows how much I appreciate them. It might be
as simple as a thank you or maybe a paid for meal. If I see one
shopping I might just pay the tab. I will however always be thankful
and respectful of the sacrifice.

On that note THANK YOU TO ALL OF THE COBRA GUYS AND GIRLS THAT ARE
VETERANS. I am not buying any of you lunch though.
Greg
------------------------
Thanks so much for sharing your story. I was telling my wife about the day and came close to being overwhelmed with emotion myself. We can all help, even if it's just to say "thank you" to the guys and gals when we see them in uniform on the street. Janice, the program coordinator, approached me about doing some work to their web site, as it hasn't been updated in some time and needs a fresh look. I'm jumping at the chance to be a part of this organization, even if in just a small way, to use my abilities to give something back to those that have given so much for us. And Bill S. - thanks not just for your efforts in coordinating this event, but also for providing a life-changing experience.

Ron Martel
-----------------------

In parting, as much as I'd like to make this an annual event, I feel compelled to remind everyone this is everyday life for the soldiers. There are more coming into BAMC every day, they need our continued help and prayers. We have cordially invited them to join us at the TCC Spring Meet and they're very excited about that. Send them a letter, a card, wish them well, find time to take a drive over and visit them, you'll brighten the day of a soldier and give yourself a memory that will last a lifetime.
God Bless the soldiers, their families, everyone at Operation Comfort and everyone that joined us (whether in person or in spirit) this weekend.
Until tomorrow,
Bill
Old 12-15-2008, 09:12 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default A recap of events

First, I'm not much of a writer, my grammar is atrocious and I only witnessed a fraction of the stories that were told. If you were there, please add your stories and recollections. This is what I sent to my daughters school and some others that asked for a recap. Close your eyes occasionally and try to picture the looks on their faces and ours as we're all touched.
------------------------------------------------------------------
Good morning:
On Saturday, the Houston and Austin Cobra Clubs made our Christmas run to San Antonio, Brooke Army Medical Center to visit wounded soldiers and their families. Here’s some of the story.

We arrived at our rally point just outside the “Lonesome Dove Land & Cattle Co.” ranch on Saturday morning at 10 am. While we transferred over $8,000 in donated shop supplies, one of our club members put on his Santa outfit. He fired up his bright red Shelby Cobra and brought up the rear along with the “Red Sled” and trailer loaded to the hilt with a wide assortment of body shop supplies. Leading Santa into the ranch was a line of 30 replica Shelby Cobra’s, all on their way to spend the day and show our appreciation to 30 wounded soldiers and their families.

We were greeted at the Ranch by 50 men, women, soldiers, their children, KENS News and the local newspaper, all cheering and taking pictures. We shut off the our cars and the children immediately began running towards us. BE CAREFUL, the side pipes are VERY hot, you’ll burn your legs. One of the wounded soldiers shouts back, “what if you don’t have any legs”? Our first taste of the reality of the day was at that point. After being introduced to all the soldiers, we popped our hoods and answered questions for about 30 minutes. They’re just like most other young men, they love cars.

That’s why the “Automotivation” program was started. To give them something to get their minds off their injuries and focus on something they can call their own. They come to the ranch from BAMC, 5, 6, 7 soldiers a day, in between rehab and surgeries, to work on their cars and donated cars for hours, sanding, priming, painting, doing body work, maintenance and repairs, in three shops donated by the owners of the ranch Molly and Hugh Long, both who served in the military.

After the question and answer session, the shout came out, “Take us for a ride”. We gladly loaded them up, one at a time, wounded, their kids, a few wives and took them on a short but very spirited ride on the main road outside the ranch. The looks on their faces when we returned was priceless. Smiles from ear to ear. These guys stared death in the face and survived, so when we asked them, “Do you want to go fast” the answer was “Yes sir”. We left our marks on the road that day, a few burnouts, a couple of donuts and memories that will last forever.

Lunch was provided by a local Bar B Q restaurant. This was a good time to sit down with the soldiers, allow them to open up with their stories, where they’ve been, how they were injured, where they’re from and where they’re going to from here. It was difficult to hold back the tears but we had to. These young men, burn victims, amputees and some with traumatic brain injuries, they don’t want you to feel sorry for them, they want to know someone cares about their sacrifice. They’re just kids, like mine and yours, doing a job with unbelievable heroism. Major General Russell Czewr arrived just as lunch was finishing up to thank us for everything we did. He informs me “what you and the Cobra Club are doing helps tremendously with the moral and rehabilitation of the wounded.” In appreciation of our efforts he present me with the Generals “Challenge Coin”. I told him it was an honor and accepted it on behalf of everyone that participated this weekend. We also presented Janis at Operation Comfort with an envelope containing over $3,000 in cash, checks and gift cards to be used to purchase more shop supplies. Several members made gift bags for the soldiers. These contained blankets, hats, pens, autographed Hooters Calendars, 100 Run N Gun T’s from the Austin club, snacks and lots and lots of baked goods to bring back to the hospital.

Chris, a young man who left the Army in ’05 was showing us around, introducing us to everyone and answering many of our questions. At 25 he looked like the kid next door. He told me about the “Sled Hockey” team they started. Sleds with two ice skates underneath, you sit down on them and propel yourself around the ice with two poles, spikes on one end, hockey stick on the other. He tells me “Full Contact”, I’m trying out for the Para-Olympics team next year. I have this puzzled look on my face, he notices it and pulls up his pants leg and tells me he lost his leg in Iraq, an IED while he was driving a fuel truck.

I’m not a great writer and I didn’t hear all the stories told that day but we left that day changed people. 50 of us, mostly focused on ourselves and our cars, now with a new focus, these soldiers, their stories, their recovery, just kids that want to go back to being regular guys, get a job, have a family and live in the greatest country in the world. I only have a few pictures right now, here’s the link for them and the link for the newspaper article from the event.
http://www.mysanantonio.com/military...than_cars.html

http://www.kodakgallery.com/ShareLan...localeid=en_US

More pictures to follow.
For more information on Operation Comfort and how you can help out go to>>> http://www.operationcomfort.org/

PS: Jay, thanks for bringing this to my attention. My family and I will never forget this day.

Merry Christmas to everyone and God Bless the soldiers.
Old 12-15-2008, 01:46 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default More pictures

http://s254.photobucket.com/albums/h...view=slideshow
Old 12-15-2008, 02:10 PM
Miss Texas Cobra Club-08
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #291 *has left the garage*
Not Ranked     

nice to read, thanks for sharing. I'm sorry i had to miss this!
Perhaps next time.
thanks again, and what a great thing ya'll did.
Best Wishes for everyone this Christmas season.
Kristen
Old 12-15-2008, 04:11 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA GT #2077, 331 SBF, Webers, Gurney Eagle heads
Not Ranked     
Default Big lump here ..

Bill, the stories and pics are extremely moving to read and look at. Thank you for sharing them so promptly. I wish I had been able to come. But you and the rest of the Houston/Austin folks did us all proud. I am very, very proud of all of you and what your celebration of giving to our wounded soldiers means to them.

God bless our soldiers and keep them well, wherever they are ...

Sam
Old 12-15-2008, 05:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lots fo different cars that change all of the time
Not Ranked     
Default Bill

You never said that you could't tell a story or paint a picture. Great job on both. I can't tell the Houston bunch or the rest of the cobra people what an outstanding effort and event that HCC put on. What I can ask is "did your hearts change for the better and do you now know what freedom costs?'

The pictures posted really say a lot but there is a lot more to be said and each and every one of us needs to say it..."GOD bless our soldiers and the United States of America!"

Our work is only beginning because more and more soldiers are arriving there.

Again my thanks and thanks from the organization that I as So honored to be a part of.

Ya'll done GOOD!!!!!!

Jay

Run & Gun participant 1998-2005
Old 12-15-2008, 06:57 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane Motorsports; KC408w: 546HP/ 553TQ
Not Ranked     

Bill, Your descriptions and slideshow are very moving. I know
my wish to to be there in the future is echoed by many others.

John