17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 11-18-2008, 02:43 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #621, Keith Craft 408
Not Ranked     
Default Operation Comfort - Automotivation -

Many of you heard the story of how much money was raised at Run N Gun for Operation Comfort. You may have read the post by Jay Nordstrum and we want to thank him for all his efforts to bring support and awareness to this great organization. www.operationcomfort.org

On Saturday, December 13th, the Houston Cobra Club is heading to Brooke Army Medical Center, Operation Comfort "Automotivation" in San Antonio to spend the day with the soldiers, show off our cars, take them for rides and show our appreciation for the sacrifices they have made. The plan is to arrive around 11 am and stay until 2 or 3 pm.

We want to invite you to join us, either in person or in the spirit of the season. Rain or shine, we're going. We'll meet them at the ranch where the garage is and where they work on their projects. If you can join in person, please PM me so we can get a head count. Operation Comfort has graciously offered to put on a Bar B Q lunch for us. If you can't join us, check out the website, look at the "Automotivation Wish List" or make a donation. Whether it's monetary, gift cards to Sears, O'Reilly, AutoZone, you get the idea, every bit helps. This experience will touch you in a way you've never felt before. It's time for me to give back to those that have given more than I can imagine. Will you join us? Thanks for your time. God bless the soldiers and their families.

Last edited by mtpockets; 11-18-2008 at 02:54 PM..
Old 11-20-2008, 08:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lots fo different cars that change all of the time
Not Ranked     
Default bah humbug

I can't believe that this thread didn't get more response. But then again maybe i can. If you can come thank you. It is a great cause but there are a lot of great causes. This one just happens to be close to Texas since most of the severely wounded vets end up here.

Please help for the sake of the soldiers and the efforts expended by our club members.

Jay

Run & Gun participant 1998-2005
Old 11-22-2008, 06:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Jay,
If you are going down I would like to ride down with you and meet some of our heroes.
Old 11-22-2008, 03:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane #1037, 351C, TKO 600
Not Ranked     
Default Jay And Steve

If you guys are heading down. Stop by and I will ride with you all or I can meet you in S.A. These are my fellow comrades who deserve the best support.
I have been away from the computer and just saw the thread tonight. I am in.

Gregg H

"Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory."
Old 11-22-2008, 06:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR3542K, 347 C. I., EFI, T-5, Miata Front Sway Bar, 3 Link, Red with White Stripes
Not Ranked     
Default Maybe

Greg,
I posted up on the Austin Yahoo Group to see if I can stir up some interest from our guys. Not sure what the weather will do, but if it is bad we could pile into a POV for the trip.
Steve
Old 11-23-2008, 05:26 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Operation Comfort-Saturday, Dec 13th

I spoke with Janice at Op Comfort again yesterday, everyone is very excited about our visit. At present they expect about 20 soldiers, 20 admin folks and the HCC has 31 people and 20 Cobras going (rain or shine). Bar B Q lunch hosted by Op Comfort, we're bringing beverages, chairs, cakes, Christmas cookies, brownies etc. Jim Driesch has recieved numerous donations towards the "Wish List" from auto parts stores, body shop suppliers, etc. We're going to try to put together a commemorative T-Shirt for the event, enough for all attending (not sure we have enough time) but we're trying. Lots of enthusiasm here in Houston. I sent a letter to my daughters school asking for support letters/cards from the kids to the soldiers also making an announcement at church this morning.

I know this time of the year many folks already have plans. Any way you get involved is greatly appreciated. A card, a letter, a donation or if nothing else, spread the word. Someone out there knows someone at a newspaper, a news station, put up a notice at work with the link to Op Comfort http://www.operationcomfort.org/ Thanks for your support and again, God Bless the soldiers.
Old 11-23-2008, 08:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR3542K, 347 C. I., EFI, T-5, Miata Front Sway Bar, 3 Link, Red with White Stripes
Not Ranked     

mtpockets,
I sent you a PM.
Steve
Old 11-23-2008, 10:34 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Cool Bah Humbug, you'd be surprised

Jay:
The HCC yahoogroups site is abuzz with the Operation Comfort cruise. I expected 15-20 people and maybe 10 cars, that's doubled with many folks asking "what can I do". There's still plenty of time to make plans, we have a few people in our group that probably won't decide until the last minute. If you can't make it, say a prayer for the soldiers and for good weather.
Old 11-25-2008, 07:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I second the good weather thought. I would rather bring the Cobra.
Steve
Old 11-29-2008, 09:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Bill,
We have 4 Cobras and two maybe, so far. I'll have you a count Thursday or Friday after I call around. Praying for no rain! I don't care if it is cold.
Steve
Old 11-29-2008, 10:56 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Operation Comfort update

Well, 14 days and counting and the list of attendees is triple what I expected. We're up to 42 people & 24 Cobras. It's a testament to the generosity of the Texas Cobra Club. To date we have the following on the donation list.
Fleece blankets being made: Army, Marines, Cowboys & Texans
Goodie bags donated by O'Reilly Auto parts
Assorted baked goods: Cookies, brownies.
Letters & Christmas cards by Girl Scouts, Brownies & students
A very large assortment of shop supplies: Complete list to follow
And of course, one size fits all: Cash

There are quite a few people planning on trailering their cars and spending the night. Can someone help with hotel recommendations for the area?

In addition, the word has gotten around BAMC and the head count of attendees, soldiers 30, admin 20 has exceeded their wildest dreams. The soldiers are really pumped about this event. Janis, the main organizer at Operation Comfort calls often and can't thank everyone enough for what we're doing. Thanks again to everyone for committing to help out, whatever way that is, it's greatly appreciated.

http://www.operationcomfort.org/
Old 11-29-2008, 03:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane #1037, 351C, TKO 600
Not Ranked     
Default Hotel Spots

There is a Best Western off IH-35 that has pretty descent parking. We use it alot and they are pretty good folks. I will get the number and location on Monday. I have talked to Jay and looks like he is flying down on Saturday Morning. SO my cobra will not be there. but that is ok.
Bill let me know what else you need as far as food and Lodging.

Gregg H

"Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory."
Old 11-30-2008, 05:38 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Update

Janis at Operation Comfort is planning a Bar B Q lunch for us. I'm guessing it includes all the "fixins" but will confirm tomorrow. Many people asked about baked goods. I don't think you can go wrong at Christmas time with cookies etc. Anything not eaten would be taken back to BAMC for everyone there. I'll have a cooler full of drinks and I'm sure there will be a few others with the same.

This is a working ranch with a caliche road to get in, so we're looking for a rally spot outside the ranch. If anyone has been there, could you make some suggestions. Also, we need very specific directions. I don't trust Mapquest when it comes to locating the entrance to Lonesome Dove Land & Cattle.

Gregg, sorry to hear your car won't be ready, we'll get you some seat time while you're there.

I was contacted by a member of the group that has a very interesting situation. He's planning on trailering his car up and doesn't have extra room in his trailer and pickup for all the donated shop supplies he's gathered. "HOLY SMOKES", that's a good problem to have, we'll find a way to help get the stuff to San Antonio. Anyone reading this coming from Houston, let's talk, we need some help hauling shop supplies.
Old 12-05-2008, 05:33 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Update

7 days and counting. We're up to 49 people and 29 cars heading to Operation Comfort "Automotivation". Janis sent these directions.
IH-35 South
IH-37 South towards Corpus Christi
1604 Exit off IH-37 South, go right at the Exxon station onto 1604
Pass school house on your right — take a left on the first dirt road past the school (Auto Mart building on right when you turn on dirt road)—follow dirt road until you come to the big silver garage.
Call Chris, Robert or Janis if you get lost.
Chris Leverkuhn 210-913-8869
Robert Rodriguez 210-643-0440
Janis Roznowski 512-297-8972

Thanks again to everyone for their support, this is going to be a great weekend.
Old 12-05-2008, 06:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: None yet!
Send a message via Yahoo to aks801
Not Ranked     

This is a good thing y'all are doing!
Old 12-07-2008, 06:36 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default 5-Days and counting

As of today we have approximately 45 people and 29 Cobras signed up for Operation Comfort.
Here are more specific directions to the Lonesome Dove Land & Cattle Co.
IH-35 South
IH-37 South towards Corpus Christi
1604 Exit off IH-37 South, go right at the Exxon station onto 1604
Pass school house on your right — take a left on the first dirt road past the school (Auto Mart building on right when you turn on dirt road)—follow dirt road until you come to the big silver garage.

Plan right now is to Rally outside the ranch on 1604 at the School House at 10:00 a.m. The Houston club will have many trailers and a few driving their cars. We'll unload in the school parking lot and go in the ranch in masse. There a couple of surprises we're not at liberty to discuss at this time, everyone will be notified in the parking lot.

The response has been unbelievable. Bring your camera, be prepared to be touched in a way you've never been before. This event will be memorable.
Thanks again to everyone for your support, donations and prayers. God bless.
Old 12-08-2008, 11:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Talking Is it Saturday yet?

Bill,
I can't wait! Just got back from Pensacola and ready to go again. Cobra is cleaned and my cold weather gear is set out for the ride. Looking forward to meeting you. Thanks for setting this up.
Steve
Old 12-08-2008, 06:34 PM
Miss Texas Cobra Club-08
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #291 *has left the garage*
Not Ranked     

i wish i could go.
Graham is getting his wisdom teeth out on Friday, both girls have games on Saturday, and I really wanted to try and make the NTMC toy run to Children's. Trying to make it all work.
I'll be thinking of ya'll. Maybe we can do this again, before the crazy time of May.
I really would like to make this sometime. I'll bring the 500.
have a safe and memorable trip, everyone.
K
Old 12-09-2008, 01:43 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Thoughts are noted

We wish everyone could be there but certainly understand the busy time of the year. We'll be doing this again, maybe not on this scale but I plan on follow up visits. There will be plenty of pictures posted after the event and we'll write something up. Just heard there's a surprise visit by Santa himself the same day. We're all very excited as are the soldiers, the admin staff at the hospital and Operation Comfort organizers. Keep all the soldiers in your thoughts and prayers.
Old 12-10-2008, 03:45 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Update on Saturday, Dec 13th

Houston Cobra Club is leaving Katy Mills Mall at 0700
Rally point at the school on S Loop 1604 has been scrubbed.
Rally at the Comfort Suites, I-37 S at exit #130 just north of 1604 at 1000
The idea is to drive into the ranch all together with Santa bringing up the rear