7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        
Old 09-14-2009, 02:35 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
I'm No. 3, I'm No. 3, I'm No. 3. Eh, doesn't sound as good as I'm No. 1.
YEAH, I'm number 4, but frankly, who cares, I'm happy with my decision of how I spent my money

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 09-14-2009, 04:29 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

I thought the general consensus on this board was that a lot of the "Continuation Cobras," real as they may or may not be, are generally put together like crap.
Old 09-14-2009, 05:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster, 302, roller cam, Holley 650
Not Ranked     

Pat, I think that is the "general opinion". But everyone has their own opinion (right or wrong)
Old 09-14-2009, 07:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks to everyone for their input.
Lots of great cars out there.
We have purchased a Superperformance MK111, Roush 427, TKO600.
Thanks to Mike Mitchell @ Vintage Upgrades & Performance in Houston, Texas.
Also thanks to the owner (seller) who made the transaction easy for the buyer.
Car is everything the new owner was looking for and close to us (eliminating travel time for inspections and shipping costs).
Big smiles.
George
Old 09-14-2009, 08:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Cobra, 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by geopar@gvtc.com View Post
Thanks to everyone for their input.
Lots of great cars out there.We have purchased a Superperformance MK111, Roush 427, TKO600.Thanks to Mike Mitchell @ Vintage Upgrades & Performance in Houston, Texas.
Excellent move. Mike and the Vintage boys are great folks and a first class operation. Anybody who would bring me spare parts at 9PM to try on a car they didn't even sell me gets my vote every time.
Old 09-14-2009, 08:56 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Excellent choice. At least now we don't have to get into the inevitable argument, I mean discussion, about which Cobra is best.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:16 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
Excellent choice. At least now we don't have to get into the inevitable argument, I mean discussion, about which Cobra is best.
I'm just glad the CSX people have apparently given up trying to defend the shoddy craftsmanship and instead simply continue to harp incessantly on the "realness" factor.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:23 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
I'm just glad the CSX people have apparently given up trying to defend the shoddy craftsmanship and instead simply continue to harp incessantly on the "realness" factor.
I don't think they given up on anything, but they're probably still in bed, sipping their morning coffee, eating their cheese danish, reading the Financial Times, while watching CNBC on their 50" plasma TV.
Old 09-14-2009, 01:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2108
Not Ranked     

Wow! I was expecting more backlash on the pecking order that that...

My assumption on the "real" Shelby is that if you spent the money on the aluminum body, you'd spend the money to get it completely "sorted out" (front spindles, et cetera...) by a professional builder.

Come on, admit it: If money was not an object but an endless resource...

DD

"You're kidding, right?"
Old 09-14-2009, 01:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

...you'd buy an original, from the sixties.

DD

"You're kidding, right?"
Old 09-14-2009, 01:44 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous Doug View Post
Wow! I was expecting more backlash on the pecking order that that...

My assumption on the "real" Shelby is that if you spent the money on the aluminum body, you'd spend the money to get it completely "sorted out" (front spindles, et cetera...) by a professional builder.

Come on, admit it: If money was not an object but an endless resource...

DD
I think everyone is fatigued with the discussions about the "pecking order." I am. We all have our own lists and I'm sure we all can agree to disagree.
Old 09-14-2009, 02:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Good evening my Friends,

Old 09-14-2009, 02:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Real?

Would someone be so kind as to define the term "REAL"

Thank you

The DR is in.........
Old 09-14-2009, 03:01 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

OK, I'll take a whack at it.

The word "real" is defined as follows:

"existing or happening as or in fact; actual, true, etc.; not merely seeming, pretended, imagined, fictitious, nominal, or ostensible, authentic; genuine, not pretended; sincere."
Old 09-14-2009, 03:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Oh, boy! I used the term "real" for a CSX4000, didn't I?

Dr 385:

The term "real" used here is meant as a "genuine Shelby product". Most here will argue that a CSX4000 is not "real" because it was not built in the 60's. The argument centers on the point of view of the person who is asking the question, "Is it real?" Usually, this is somebody at a stoplight or a car show, wanting to know if your car is, indeed, an original from the 60's. Thus, answering "yes, it's real" regarding a CSX4000 would be misleading.

Fair enough.

I usually split hairs. I usually call the originals "real" and the new CSX4000 series as "genuine", as a "genuine Shelby product".

I get the "Is it real?" question all the time. My answer is a bit lengthy, but I usually say something like, "Oh, no. I wish. This is a replica of the original 289 FIA racing Cobra, manufactured by a company called ERA out of CT."

Had I a CSX4000, I'd probably say, "It's a geninue Shelby, but not an original one from the sixties." Some people have a hard time with such long explanations, and just answer, "Yup!"

Questioned by a fellow CC member, they'd likely get called out on it.

DD

"You're kidding, right?"

Last edited by Dangerous Doug; 09-14-2009 at 03:44 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 09-14-2009, 04:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR, 347 stroker carburated
Not Ranked     

I have a schweeet FFR on Ebay right now. Current bid is 16,100. From Wakefield R.I. John
Old 09-14-2009, 06:55 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

For me the pecking order, or desirabilty has to start with IRS. Been there with a 9" live axle, aint going backward. The SPF they landed is a good call. Roush 427 is a bit over the top for me, to big a number from a small block. I'd stop around 400 cubes or so. Not being a big fan of SPF or BDR myself, I'd consider other makes. Like MrMustangs ERA would be an excellent choice! Pretty much got it all.

What really has impressed me with my ERA is the LACK of "squeaks and rattles". My car is a very early one, #154, around 1986 or so build date. STILL an incredibly solid car. I'm comparing that to other Cobras I've been around or owned, it's just hard to beat an ERA, period.

Anytime you have a "pecking order list" it can get ugly. A lot of it comes from the heart, what YOU expect, what YOUR standards are, hard to put a finger on it.

Any replica Cobra outside the "stock" deminensions would be a no go for me. Longer, wider, nicer, OK, what ever, I prefer to stay closer to original specs in that regard. FE is of course a very desirable option in my book, with "side oiler" leading the pack in that regard. FIA style body with a small block would work out nicely. Daytona Coupe with a small block would also be very nice. GT-40 with a small block would be OK, with an FE would be terrific! I might do that one some day!

Not interested in Chevy or 385 series motors at all. NO auto trans, all though with age, if my knee's go out, I might have to revisit that issue. While dual carbs are extra cool, I would seriously consider a single four WITH easily removable turkey pan option! Webers, hmm, thats a tough one, BIG money and concerns about the tuning and mpg would make me hesitate. 5 speed trans would be a plus ONLY if the gearing, rear end ratio and camshaft profile are all in nice harmony. PLUS any 5 speed HAS to have the forward facing gear shift linkage to appear like a top loader, otherwise, it's out. 16" rubber MAX size, would lean toward 15". Fuel injection? Wouldn't rule it out, but I would hesitate.

No matter WHAT you call it, the Shelby nameplate carries a great deal of weight for MOST people, hardcore or newbie, either way. It's a genuine Shelby product, which is pretty cool. Me? I dunno, I'm not sure I'd want to pay the extra bucks for the name, but I can understand those that do. I'd probably go Kirkham to save a few bucks. And then be all depressed when the CSX values slowly start to rise while the Kirkham value begins to fall.

And thats the way I'd call it...

Last edited by Excaliber; 09-14-2009 at 07:04 PM..
Old 09-15-2009, 04:32 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Ernie, that Bar is Pretty High...

C'mon Ernie. A squeak & rattle free ERA, with an FE, IRS, single four with removable Turkey Pan, a 5-speed with forward facing gear shift, and a discrete personalized Shelby endorsement? Ernie, there's only one car on the planet that fits that bill. And I'm sure you just forgot about the requirement of outboard rear brakes on six pin hubs. Yep, a car like that would only be a step or two below Larry E.'s car.
Old 09-15-2009, 05:56 AM
Member of the north
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A Cobra
Not Ranked     

I see the term "real" was used in the question form.

I did that a long time ago...what a mess.

Old 09-15-2009, 07:23 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by trularin View Post
I see the term "real" was used in the question form.

I did that a long time ago...what a mess.

The shortest answer I can give is as follows:

"If you can touch it, then yes, it is real"

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS