Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-19-2010, 07:10 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance # 532, 466 BB, 560HP
Not Ranked     
Question Avon Tire Question

For those that have Avon tires on their Cobras.

How do these tires behave when you are at the limit? Do they give you any warning that you are approaching the limit, or do they just let go without any warning?

I love the Goodyear Billboards because of the feedback they provide when you are approaching the limit. The Goodyear GT II's were terrible, and gave no warning at all.

Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Old 05-19-2010, 07:27 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Eh eh, I'm running GT-II's for current street tires. They don't need to give you a warning, you can assume they ARE going to break loose if your right leg even twitches on the throttle. Let alone trying to take any easy corner at a reasonable speed.

I find them quite entertaining when it comes to throttle over steer, drifting and just letting the rear end hang out in general.

I see a set of Avons in my future, reports I've been reading here sound pretty darn good. With ONE exception: They are pretty tall, there could be some clearance issues depending on the manufacturer of your replica. My older ERA may be very marginal in that regard for the front tires.
Old 05-19-2010, 01:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary with 482 KC/SO, TKO600,IRS Jag/AMP, 3.54 Salisbury PL,
Not Ranked     

The Avons CR66 are just wonderfull. I can only recomend them. Last year with Yokohama Avids the car was sliding all over the place and corner taking had its limit, The Avons are almost like slicks. If you check my video racing the cobra up a twisty mountain road you will see how they behave. If they reach the limit they will warn you by starting to slide. With the high profile tires snap reactions is not an issue anyway. That happens more with low profile tires, which you would not want to put on a Cobra. It would not look right.
I have 245/60-15 and 295/50-15. I really feel secure with them.
Old 05-19-2010, 03:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPO 2715
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excaliber View Post
Eh eh, I'm running GT-II's for current street tires.
Well my Avons are sticky, and after three other brands/types of 15" tires on two other SPF's, I can say these are the best tire I have ever had for a Cobra.

I have tried them out on a large parking lot, and I have a good understanding of their limits, without the "snap" to slide. They are easier to balance too, no steering wheel shake like I have had with every other brand/type tire. High speeds are a treat. The launch is much improved with these too.

The price of the tires has been worth it to me.

E
Old 05-19-2010, 03:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: # 757 ERA 427 SC , 482 Al. big block
Not Ranked     

Eljaro... you have the same size Avons on yours that I do on mine , and the same size engine . It takes mine a few miles to get some heat in them and then they are great . Just curious , what tire pressures did you run during your "scenic trip " up the mountain ?
Silverback , you won`t be sorry with the Avons .
Old 05-19-2010, 04:54 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

Finally...New Avons are on!

Dave loves them........
Old 05-19-2010, 05:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, Roush 402R, Kentucky Cobra Club
Neutral     

I agree with the other comments but no one talks about one of the main reasons I like them. Braking.

I would like to hear someone compare the MT Sportsman S/R against the AVONs. Someone who has worn out a set of each.

A set of AVONs is looking like they might last 4 months. Without track days. I like to drive. So they are expensive for me. AVIDs are no more. They were good tires if you want to practice for ice racing in the summer.

I don't care for the tread pattern on the S/Rs but I cannot see it from the driver's seat. So maybe for half the price. I hear they are sourced from AVON by MT.
Old 05-19-2010, 09:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance Mk III / Windsor platform
Not Ranked     

Chilibit,
You will need to do a LOT of driving to wear a set of Avons out in 4 months.
I'm on my third set. I got right at 8000 miles out of each of the first two sets (including 3 or 4 track events per set). It would be VERY hard to go back to ANY other street legal tire after Avons.
Old 05-19-2010, 09:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I certainly agree with not wanting to contemplate anything else. Four months, 80 days of driving, 100 miles per day. Not so many if you have time. I am pretty easy on tires, perhaps I will surprise myself.
Old 05-20-2010, 12:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary with 482 KC/SO, TKO600,IRS Jag/AMP, 3.54 Salisbury PL,
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobcat View Post
Eljaro... you have the same size Avons on yours that I do on mine , and the same size engine . It takes mine a few miles to get some heat in them and then they are great . Just curious , what tire pressures did you run during your "scenic trip " up the mountain ?
Silverback , you won`t be sorry with the Avons .
26 psi front and back
Old 05-20-2010, 06:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilibit View Post
I certainly agree with not wanting to contemplate anything else. Four months, 80 days of driving, 100 miles per day. Not so many if you have time. I am pretty easy on tires, perhaps I will surprise myself.
Chilibit,
How long have you had your car and how many miles are on it? You know your driving habits better than I, but I would be very surprised if a set of Avon's don't last you a season, especially if you are easy on tires. There is nothing easy about my street driving style, on track road racing and drag racing fun, and I am getting 8k miles. 10k miles on a set that is not put to the test so much seems completely possible to me. Anyway, if you get a set, let us know you like them and how long they last. Have fun.
Old 05-20-2010, 06:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Four years. Mileage, my speedo is broken. I use a vibration monitor to measure running hours. Sorta diesel-like. But I have a fair notion. I am extrapolating from anecdotal information. When we boil away the chaff, the underlying message was simply that the durability of these tires is commensurate with the grip. And, I like the way they stop. In the autumn, I will know more.
Old 05-20-2010, 06:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427SC w/427so, ERA GT #2002
Not Ranked     

Although I put them on the GT40--C6RZZ 225/65R 15 and 296/50R 15--they are the best DOT approved tires I've ever used on track. Except for rain due to minimum tread depth, which I don't drive in, they are great on the street, too. Very pricey, but the Avons stick. Like any race tire, warning as the limt is approached is less, but you're really pulling some g at the time!

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough HORSEPOWER." Mark Donohue
Old 05-20-2010, 07:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilibit View Post
When we boil away the chaff, the underlying message was simply that the durability of these tires is commensurate with the grip.
Understood...and I didn't mean to seem argumentative. My main point was that I think you are going to be pleasantly surprised at the "good" mileage you will get from a tire this sticky. Carry on.
Old 05-20-2010, 07:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

SPF1061,

Well put. Your experience far exceeds my own. That would certainly be a bonus for an already superlative tire. Gotta go, the sun is shining and the roads are dry.

Ciao
Old 05-24-2010, 04:26 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance # 532, 466 BB, 560HP
Not Ranked     

Well everyone, thank you for your input.

Tires are ordered and will be here this weekend. Now if the weather would ever clear up in this festering crap hole.
Old 05-24-2010, 07:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPO 2715
Not Ranked     

you'll love em!

GL Silver!

E