Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-29-2012, 10:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Goodyear Billboard Tires Lettering Font

Has anyone identified the font that is used on Goodyear Billboard tires? I'm specifically looking for the font that's shown here......

Roger Kraus Racing - Pricing

And, the Cobra tires - second item within the pdf.

I've got a deal going on that has some creative types looking to produce lettering kits as an alternative to painting the letters - each kit will contain the individual white rubber letter inserts needed, except for the flying shoe.

Anyway, they haven't done a Billboard but there other stuff looks excellent - we shall see. The font search is on at this point.

If there is any interest in this product, post it here - if this experiment works out - the produced product must look perfect and not like something was attached, I'll refer the manufacturer - if it doesn't work out, nevermind.
Old 05-29-2012, 12:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Cobra, 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     

Its a derivative of the Koloss font.
Old 05-29-2012, 02:57 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

If you have a set they are raised outlined letters?? Am I missing something? Why would one need stencil, just fill in between the lines???
Old 05-29-2012, 03:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2114
Not Ranked     

They are not raised outline but they do have a slight outline of the letters on the tire.
Old 05-29-2012, 03:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1985 CCX View Post
If you have a set they are raised outlined letters?? Am I missing something? Why would one need stencil, just fill in between the lines???
There is a raised line around each letter that basically forms the letter - painting within the line is time consuming and coming up against the inside of the raised line - inside the line is difficult to avoid not painting for the best look - besides, it needs to be periodically re-done and, frankly, life is way too short.
Old 05-29-2012, 04:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmariachi View Post
Its a derivative of the Koloss font.
Here's the tire with the Koloss font displayed in the middle - not even close.

I realize that you stated "derivative" but I just don't see it.

My tires are exactly like the one displayed, without the white lettering that was painted on this sample.

But, thanks anyway.

Old 05-29-2012, 04:15 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance # 532, 466 BB, 560HP
Not Ranked     

Personally I prefer the look as delivered. But then I don't show my car. I drive it.

Old 05-29-2012, 06:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by bliss View Post
- inside the line is difficult to avoid not painting for the best look -
1/2" blue painter's tape, a small razor for the tight spots, and about 3 hours (total!) sitting in front of the TV while you tape off each one is not difficult. And the results are stunning.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:41 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1473 392 cu.in. titanium/black stripes
Not Ranked     

I have to agree with John... I think the "as delivered" look is authentic and real. Not to mention much less work.
Bob
Old 05-30-2012, 07:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Here's the tire with the Koloss font displayed in the middle - not even close.

I realize that you stated "derivative" but I just don't see it.[/IMG]
Then get some glasses. Good Year marketing told me it was a derivative of the Koloss font, but WTF do they know.....

p.s. I ain't interested in your "product." But Good Year might be, given its their proprietary logo.

Last edited by elmariachi; 05-30-2012 at 07:17 AM..
Old 05-30-2012, 08:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

You really don't need to get so uppity about it.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayboy View Post
I have to agree with John... I think the "as delivered" look is authentic and real. Not to mention much less work.
Bob
On the other hand, there is really nothing about replica Cobra's that is authentic and real, right? Therefore, whatever one wants to do is real for them.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

This ain't rocket science. If you want to rip off GY's logo to make Cobra race tire ownership neat and easy, you don't need to know the "font." Get some 3" wide heavy duty masking tape and tape the letters, cut them with an exacto knife and then peel them away and stick them on a solid piece of paper. Then scan them in, touch them up and your rip-off is complete.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Not Ranked     

Since its a derivative of an existing font, each letter needs to be recreated for an accurate look. Easy enough to do in any basic graphics program.

So the plastic letters are bonded to the sidewall? A fellow discussed this method with me some years ago and I tested the waters here, and the response was not positive. Seems the idea of replica billboards is taboo for owners of replica Cobras.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...
Old 05-30-2012, 11:00 AM
Full Blown Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Premier Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 427 S/C, Twin Paxton 511 FE
Not Ranked     

What an irrepressible bunch we are.

This is about to devolve into a SB vs BB, 289 vs 427...

As said, to each his own. There's a place for the showroom and driven look. I personally go for the driven look. So much easier to maintain.

As a kid, I went through painstaking detail to make model car tires look 'real'. Seems like there are some who like their tires to look....unreal.
But that's just me being a curmudgeon. I'm envious of the detailed look.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
Since its a derivative of an existing font, each letter needs to be recreated for an accurate look. Easy enough to do in any basic graphics program.

So the plastic letters are bonded to the sidewall? A fellow discussed this method with me some years ago and I tested the waters here, and the response was not positive. Seems the idea of replica billboards is taboo for owners of replica Cobras.
<i>Seems the idea of replica billboards is taboo for owners of replica Cobras</i>

Oh so true - you can see it here in some of the posts. It even goes to the GY lettering - it's as if I'm thinking about ripping off GY by thinking about creating a way to paint their letters since they do such a slopping job (on purpose, of course). Fake car, but add fake lettering by painting or other options - YIKES!

Actually, even the original Cobra was a Frankenstein monster. Well done and classic, but nonetheless cobbled together from lots of different sources.

The purest around here are a little insane given that 99.99999% own a replica. On the other hand, we are all a little insane in one way or another.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmariachi View Post
This ain't rocket science. If you want to rip off GY's logo to make Cobra race tire ownership neat and easy, you don't need to know the "font." Get some 3" wide heavy duty masking tape and tape the letters, cut them with an exacto knife and then peel them away and stick them on a solid piece of paper. Then scan them in, touch them up and your rip-off is complete.
Let's review, so seeking and using an alternative to painting the GY letters is, in fact, ripping off GY? Are you thinking that my actions will cause GY to sell less tires? You really need to get a grip. Is it not a fact that since I purchased the tires I can do whatever I want to them, including painting Firestone on them, etc. (not that I would)?

Also, you over the top uppity attitude and input is noted and hopefully complete.
Old 05-30-2012, 12:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Let's review, so seeking and using an alternative to painting the GY letters is, in fact, ripping off GY? Are you thinking that my actions will cause GY to sell less tires? You really need to get a grip. Is it not a fact that since I purchased the tires I can do whatever I want to them, including painting Firestone on them, etc. (not that I would)?

Also, you over the top uppity attitude and input is noted and hopefully complete.
Respectfully I would ask you to go back and look at post #2, in which I gave a simple, straight-forward factual answer to your response. That answer is based on what GoodYear told me. You discounted that because "you couldn't see it" or more likely, because it didn't solve your problem for you easily enough. Based on your original post, it appears you were looking for someone here to do the legwork for you as you had been unable to sort this out.

You wrote: "I've got a deal going on that has some creative types looking to produce lettering kits as an alternative to painting the letters..." These creative types surely know that they could download one of the many eps or vector graphics of the logo online, thus negating the need for a font altogether.

My "uppity" tone that you are referring to is actually a tone of incredulity that you would ask for feedback and help and then turn around and scoff at it because it wasn't handed to you on a silver platter. The font does not exist because it's GoodYear's native design created years before "fonts" even existed, thus my reference to the Koloss font.

With regard to use of their logo, if you copy or use it for your own use then I suppose you can do whatever you want. But you wrote "If there is any interest in this product, post it here..." That suggests you intend to commercialize it, thus my comment about ripping off the GY logo.

Now to get you and your little project back on its merry way, go here and get the logo file. Give that to any dimestore graphics designer and show him what you want and you'll have your lettering kits.
Old 05-30-2012, 12:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance SP02228, ROUSH 402R w/custom DiVinci Performance Carb.
Not Ranked     

Or just go here :

Tire Lettering Stencils : Raceline Digital, Do More for Less

Old 05-30-2012, 02:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Interesting post, your incredulity appears to conflict with my perception of piteousness.

It's sort of like your perception that looking at an alternative to painting GY Billboard lettering and finding, using that alternative represents a ripoff of GY. Now, some perceptions are laughable, at best.

By the way, my guess is that you have replica Ford emblems and replica Cobra emblems on your replica Cobra, right? Since your replica Cobra is, in essence, a ripoff of The Ford Motor Company, including the Ford and Cobra emblems, don't you feel like you should be in jail for that or perhaps you should pay up by sending, say, $10,000 to Ford and perhaps another $10,000 to Shelby's estate for the unlawful use of their property and products? It's sort of like downloading records for free.

The bottomline is: I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem. A more perspicacious approach will eliminate your problem.

Also, please note that I originally thanked you for your input, but it's now becoming irritating, at best.