Like Tree27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2021, 05:31 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Pacific Roadster, 347 cu.in. 5-speed
Not Ranked     

I couldn't agree more Mike (ERA626) people spend tens of thousands of dollars to reproduce a CSX in this case 3040, and then decides to mount a type of tire that CSX3040 never wore, @ whatever the cost in this case Goodyear Billboards ???? What the saying "It is what it is" Cheers Boys, TommyRot.
Old 04-05-2021, 05:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6079 482CI CSX cross ram
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastd View Post
ERA 626
I agree in principal, but imo Mickey Thompson is a better street tire than AVONs; you can have your cake and eat it too because the MT's are roughly half the price of AVONs.
which MT? the drag radials? I had the sportsman tires on my ERA and did not like them, the BFGs were better. But I have not tried the sportsman pro... how are the pros?
Old 04-05-2021, 06:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa02 View Post
I couldn't agree more Mike (ERA626) people spend tens of thousands of dollars to reproduce a CSX in this case 3040, and then decides to mount a type of tire that CSX3040 never wore, @ whatever the cost in this case Goodyear Billboards ???? What the saying "It is what it is" Cheers Boys, TommyRot.
The billboards look great, but handle like $hit...I wonder why Goodyear does not notice the demand for this and make a radial that looks like the billboard? Every cobra owner on earth would buy them...
bwcobra15, rads42 and Alfa02 like this.
Old 04-05-2021, 07:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hi-Tech
Not Ranked     

Choosing which tire to go with was probably the most difficult decision I had to make when building my Hi-Tech. I ran the Billboards on my Contemporary and absolutely loved the look, but they did flatspot and you have to keep both hands on the wheel at all times as these tires really wander. That could have something to do with my suspension set up and tire inflation though. I went with the Avons on the Hi-Tech and I couldn't be happier. They are DOT approved (one less thing to worry about), handle really well and the ride is awesome. The tread pattern is classic and the size is perfect for the Cobra. Absolutely no regrets in spending the extra money on the Avons.
ERA 626 and NROTOXIN like this.
Old 04-05-2021, 08:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, 351W
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERA 626 View Post
which MT? the drag radials? I had the sportsman tires on my ERA and did not like them, the BFGs were better. But I have not tried the sportsman pro... how are the pros?
the mickey thompson SRs
Old 04-06-2021, 05:41 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastd View Post
the mickey thompson SRs
In this gentleman's first post, it said "No Radial Talk" so I would think that takes the MT SR out of the picture. Too bad as I think a perfect tire for that car.
Old 04-06-2021, 08:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FF Mark I, sprint car 347
Not Ranked     

I sure wish goodyear would make a radial 15 inch in the Billboards. This issue has been going on for 20 years. None radial does not lend itself to street driving. No knowledge of racing non radial.. 17 or 18 inch tires seems to be more choices. Wish manufacturers would listen.
rads42 likes this.
Old 04-06-2021, 10:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azhinoon View Post
I sure wish goodyear would make a radial 15 inch in the Billboards. This issue has been going on for 20 years. None radial does not lend itself to street driving. No knowledge of racing non radial.. 17 or 18 inch tires seems to be more choices. Wish manufacturers would listen.
yes agreed but the 17"/18" is a completely different look all together...
Blue66, rads42 and Alfa02 like this.
Old 04-08-2021, 06:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

LoL now I am totally confused .so many good valid points (Avon) I should not cheep out on the tires after the ton of money spent everywhere else CSX 3040 allways had billboards black side out and I should probably honour that.MT totally not out of the question but I do think I’m going to call American racing and find out what the deal is on their tire...what does there dot really mean
Old 04-08-2021, 06:20 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     

DOT: Means Department Of Transportation, in other words (Street Legal) tires. Without DOT code, it a Ticket from Mr. Policeman.

Last edited by Alfa02; 04-08-2021 at 06:34 PM..
Old 04-09-2021, 08:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

You would think that DOT approved means DOT approved but as in the Hooser tire it is DOT approved but stamped for racing purposes only
Old 04-09-2021, 08:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

Exactly, you have to pay close attention to those things. Not all DOT approved tires are meant for normal driving. If you have an accident with tires that are not approved for the road it could lead to problems.
Alfa02 likes this.
Old 04-09-2021, 03:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I called American racer today .they said that they do have a DOT approved tire but it is for racing purposes only he also said the sidewalls are very soft and would be all over the place on the road
Old 04-09-2021, 04:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Neutral     

Anyonethat drove a 50s or 60s car knows that "All over the road" is an attribute of a bias ply tire with:

Any kind of mis- (front end) alignment

Any kind of under or mismatched inflation.
Blue66 and Alfa02 like this.
Old 04-12-2021, 12:27 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     

Here you go, Goodyear blue streak
Old 04-12-2021, 03:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I liked the Pro-Trac tires in the 70's on my 67 Firebird.
https://www.cokertire.com/tires/brands/pro-trac.html
Alfa02 likes this.
Old 04-12-2021, 03:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I like the pro trac tires but...... The problem is size .has anybody ran these on their car that could give us some insight on what size to use I don’t think the front tires would be a problem but it seems the rear tires size may be an issue
Old 04-14-2021, 12:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arntz Cobra
Not Ranked     

In 35 years of driving my Arntz replica for 200,000 miles, I have been through a LOT of tires. I run long rallies in my car and we run rough back roads quickly. The best compromise I have found is Cooper Cobra tires. I like the Mickey Thompson ST tires a lot because they have a little more grip, but they don't last nearly as long, especially on track days. I hate tires that jerk the steering wheel out of your hands at high speed as many sticky race tires (like Hoosier Autocross tires) do.

A set of Cooper Cobra's 235/60/15 front and 275/60/15 rears, handle really well with 1.25" front and 3/4" rear sway bars. With 35 psi on a track, you can maintain controlled four wheel drifts. At 27 psi, they are comfortable for long trips like the 4 day, 600 mile Targa California Rally. At $700 a set, the price is reasonable and my last set has lasted 4 years.

I did have good luck with Yokohama and Toyo when they made H rated 15" tires, but those days are over.

In the past, burned up a lot of Mickey Thompson Sportsman bias ply tires. They were cheap, fun and had lots of grip, but it was shocking how much rubber disappeared after every drive. For a while, I was buying a set every year. I cannot recommend anyone buy bias ply tires today. Not only do they wear out fast, but they also are much more prone to punctures. I used to carry 2 cans of flat fixer and on one rally, I used both of them and borrowed two more to get home. The worst thing is their tendency to follow groves in the road. You can never relax your grip or your attention to holding the car straight. This is very tiring on long drives.

RS

Last edited by RallySnake; 04-14-2021 at 01:12 AM..
Old 04-14-2021, 03:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

How about this, the best of both worlds, and I have done two sets of these now. Avon's with Goodyear Eagle Letters, perfect tire for the letters, I get them from Tredwear.com. As has been said before, Avon's are great handling tires, and aren't bad in the rain either. I would post a photo of my car to show them, but I do not know how to that. Good luck!
Old 04-14-2021, 01:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, 351W
Not Ranked     

Sorry 427Larry, but my experience with the AVONs in the rain is no where near "aren't bad"; in the rain, or even slightly wet, they are dangerous imo

Tags
tires