23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2008, 03:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Foolish and dangerous JM

jmimac351 3 things JM First off do you know that those tires you are driving on without a balance are PER WEARING out your drive train? If the worst of the vibration is in the front end, wheel bearings, tierod ends, the rack and pinion itself,( internal gears ) the steering system up to your hands. If its in the rearend, depending on the rearend if solid axle both rear axle bearings, the axle tubes, over time the spider gears in the carrier. If a jag rearend the outter hub bearings, and the u joints to them. 2 nd thing is that you are dangerous enought to drive a car with this problem at high speeds, you said you drove 80 mph and the problem is worse. If you are on a race track at this time, Fine. If you are out on a street or highway with other people around you, and cobras are people magnets, doing 70 mph. It's very possible the a tire could seperate and you have one hell of a ride to look forward too, I just hope that you take no one with you. Not sure what you are worth to your wife and kids, your car is worth from 40-60k dollars and all the time and work you put into it. The worst part is you are only worth 1,000.00 dollars. This is the cost of a TOP set of tires for your car. I am not so worried about you but someone else that ends up in the wrong place at the wrong time. As far as stenciling tires that a choice, I do think the safety factor comes into play, or maybe a class action suit again GY for maken poor tires may change there way of thinking. This kind of thing requires the DEATH of about 5-10 people before anything is done. The last thing Man rules, a statement where some men with small brains, big balls, and going through there middle age adjustments have as an excuse for being dumb. I have 2 out of the 3 things listed above, small brain and middle age, I am just not foolish enough to risk someone elses life for $1,000.00 dollars. Have a good day JM. Ps I have seen over the last 10 years more people get hurt from the don't worry about it thinking. 1 dead, 1 burnt over 20% of his body, mostly hands feet, arms, face and neck, 3 others ending up in hospitals for weeks. 1 guy was in traction for 8 weeks. Broken back. Have a nice day JM Rick L. New rule, get smarter everyday. I at lease try.
Old 04-05-2008, 04:27 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Slow down Rick your scareing me! "Man Law", very important, can't be ignored. Not much you could do about suing GY for the Bill Boards, says right on them their for 'racing' use only and NOT DOT approved, the only law they fall under is the "Man Law".
Old 04-05-2008, 09:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Building 289 Lemans / FFR mkIV chassis w/ Bruce Chervenak
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICK LAKE View Post
jmimac351 3 things JM First off do you know that those tires you are driving on without a balance are PER WEARING out your drive train? If the worst of the vibration is in the front end, wheel bearings, tierod ends, the rack and pinion itself,( internal gears ) the steering system up to your hands. If its in the rearend, depending on the rearend if solid axle both rear axle bearings, the axle tubes, over time the spider gears in the carrier. If a jag rearend the outter hub bearings, and the u joints to them. 2 nd thing is that you are dangerous enought to drive a car with this problem at high speeds, you said you drove 80 mph and the problem is worse. If you are on a race track at this time, Fine. If you are out on a street or highway with other people around you, and cobras are people magnets, doing 70 mph. It's very possible the a tire could seperate and you have one hell of a ride to look forward too, I just hope that you take no one with you. Not sure what you are worth to your wife and kids, your car is worth from 40-60k dollars and all the time and work you put into it. The worst part is you are only worth 1,000.00 dollars. This is the cost of a TOP set of tires for your car. I am not so worried about you but someone else that ends up in the wrong place at the wrong time. As far as stenciling tires that a choice, I do think the safety factor comes into play, or maybe a class action suit again GY for maken poor tires may change there way of thinking. This kind of thing requires the DEATH of about 5-10 people before anything is done. The last thing Man rules, a statement where some men with small brains, big balls, and going through there middle age adjustments have as an excuse for being dumb. I have 2 out of the 3 things listed above, small brain and middle age, I am just not foolish enough to risk someone elses life for $1,000.00 dollars. Have a good day JM. Ps I have seen over the last 10 years more people get hurt from the don't worry about it thinking. 1 dead, 1 burnt over 20% of his body, mostly hands feet, arms, face and neck, 3 others ending up in hospitals for weeks. 1 guy was in traction for 8 weeks. Broken back. Have a nice day JM Rick L. New rule, get smarter everyday. I at lease try.
Rick, 3 things:

Lighten up, Francis.

Switch to decaf

I plan to get the tires balanced, I just put them on.

Good grief.
Old 04-05-2008, 10:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Old 04-06-2008, 05:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, FRP460 Big Block
Not Ranked     

I have little stickers on my cars that say "Look all You Want but Please Don't Touch".

I'm changing them to "Touch my Car and I'll Kill Ya"

SPF#1052 11mpg
CAV GT40 MONO29 9mpg
'94 35th Anniversary Rover Mini Cooper 32mpg
'01 MB CL600 V12 18mpg
'08 Volvo S80 18mpg
Old 04-06-2008, 05:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default It's not a game JM

jmimac351 JM I only went by what you wrote on the thread. This is not a game when playing with a cobra. Car or animal. At times the car is both. You said you already tested the speed limit, 80 mph, and found a problem you said nothing about getting the tires balanced. I would have thought when you got the tires mounted this would have been done at this time. With almost 30 years in the auto repair bussiness I have not seen many people buy tires and install them on there cars without a balance. Most also get a wheel alignment. Farmers in my area don't balance tires for the field trucks. This is not a game, and alot of people think it's funny until someone gets hurt or killed. We get NEW people who just brought a cobra and no NOTHING about these cars. Read info here and see you where lucky with your BB tires without a balance done. Next you know someone says JM's car is fine with this being done. Take the car out, open it up and the party is over. I know you where just telling us that on your car the tires are not to bad to drive at low speed. You know this, I know this, but beginners don't. I choked Francis ( SYCO ), 2cups of tea a day for caffeine, Gald you are getting the tires balanced. Have a nice day, enjoy a nice drive in the car. Rick L.
Old 04-06-2008, 05:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default All you need is a good lawyer

Excaliper Ernie Today all you need is a good lawyer and deep pockets. Most of todays society takes NO responsiblity for there actions. They blame everyone and everything but themselves. They don't read the side of every tire they look at, No nothing about DOT, but this tire looks sharp on my car. Tires go on the car and 5 minutes later the car is in an accident, WHY because they where not told and didn't sign off on the contract about driving the car easy for the first 500 miles to get some heat cycles in the tires and get the protective covering off the tires from driving. Who's fault is it's Ernie? There is a lawsuit pending right now against Firestone for just this case. 3 kids and 2 adults in the MPV. All hurt no one bad. Suit is for millions. IMO they should get rid of bias tires, unless they are the Cooker tire for the cars from the 09 to the 40's and are show cars only. Major law suits against the Ford explorer for roll over issues. Nater kill the CJ-5 jeeps with the same thing. I own 3. I put one on it's side from 4 wheel in a plowing mud field and doing power slides. No one hurt, no damage to me or my 2 friends, laughed about it and put jeep back on wheels and drove off. Jamo would be the one to ask about this kind of law suit. Jamo?? Ernie have a nice day, go easy on those pineapple cocktails. Rick L.
Old 04-06-2008, 06:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Excaliper Ernie Today all you need is a good lawyer and deep pockets. Most of todays society takes NO responsiblity for there actions. They blame everyone and everything but themselves. They don't read the side of every tire they look at, No nothing about DOT, but this tire looks sharp on my car. Tires go on the car and 5 minutes later the car is in an accident, WHY because they where not told and didn't sign off on the contract about driving the car easy for the first 500 miles to get some heat cycles in the tires and get the protective covering off the tires from driving. Who's fault is it's Ernie? There is a lawsuit pending right now against Firestone for just this case. 3 kids and 2 adults in the MPV. All hurt no one bad. Suit is for millions. IMO they should get rid of bias tires, unless they are the Cooker tire for the cars from the 09 to the 40's and are show cars only. Major law suits against the Ford explorer for roll over issues. Nater kill the CJ-5 jeeps with the same thing. I own 3. I put one on it's side from 4 wheel in a plowing mud field and doing power slides. No one hurt, no damage to me or my 2 friends, laughed about it and put jeep back on wheels and drove off. Jamo would be the one to ask about this kind of law suit. Jamo?? Ernie have a nice day, go easy on those pineapple cocktails. Rick L.
Rick, you and I don't know one another.

If you really read what I wrote then you would see why they weren't balanced. Your reading comprehension sucks.

I appreciate your concern but I suspect it's just in your nature to lecture people you don't know. FYI, until the Anti-Christ is elected in November and Communism is imposed I can do whatever the smell I damn well please and, quite frankly, I am unconcerned as to what your opinion of it is.

Don't piss me off. Charlton Heston died.

Where am I, Pluto!?!?!
Old 04-06-2008, 07:04 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF - 351W, 944 non-turbo
Not Ranked     

Kids, fight nice!

Bob
Old 04-06-2008, 08:03 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF w/392CI stroker
Not Ranked     

Quote:
...put the Black wall side out, and stencil in the letters on the tires. Takes about 15 minutes per tire after you make the stencil.
This is something I might have considered when I was...17.

Someday GY is going to get their act together and make the right DOT, radial-based tire that has "the look." And then we're going to view this archived thread and laugh our ass off.
Old 04-06-2008, 04:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Message sent to me by Rick Lake.

Rick, I don't know you. Please don't continue to send me messages.

Francis Sawyer, but people called him "Psycho"...

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Today, 06:17 PM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Default The tires where not balanced, there where no machines

Jm Read your own writing. They where mounted and NOT balanced, The machines where at the track. You are a dumb ass. When you have been to a couple of funerals for dead friends that think like you, Maybe you will get with the program. I am done with you, Pissed off but on a depends, Lecture people about things, Only things I am 100% sure about. You need to talk to the Smith brothers and learn about your car. You have a long life. HA-HARick L.

Last edited by jmimac351; 04-06-2008 at 04:09 PM.. Reason: changed "friends" to "people"
Old 04-06-2008, 04:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CAV GT40 with 331 KC
Not Ranked     

You're not alone - I got a similarly idiotic message from him a while back when I called him on another of his inane posts.

He is best ignored.
Old 04-06-2008, 04:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBarchetta View Post
This is something I might have considered when I was...17.

Someday GY is going to get their act together and make the right DOT, radial-based tire that has "the look." And then we're going to view this archived thread and laugh our ass off.
When I got my tires from the distributor over in Daytona and had them mounted, but not balanced - to the horror of some - I asked the guy why Goodyear didn't make something like the Nitto 555RII. He just shook his head and said that they started to go down that path and had a few tires and then dropped the whole thing. He said they claimed there wasn't enough money in it - which is hard to believe with Kumho, Nitto, Hankook, etc. making them. (Or, maybe they felt they couldn't compete with them.) He then went on to say Goodyear was still in an old, two story factory and was sort of an "old dog" of a company. The point was that they weren't really interested in learning new tricks. After that conversation I wasn't wondering about when we would have a radial version of this tire, but how long it would be before I couldn't get it anymore. He said nothing to indicate they were going away, but a conversation like that doesn't make you think new and better things are coming to the table.

But what do I know...
Old 04-06-2008, 04:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby American CSX 4241 - authentically built
Not Ranked     

I don't know JM, maybe Rick likes you, and this is his wait of courting?

I posted the same thing as you, before you did, and he never acknoledged my post.

I drove my car for 7000 miles with "unbalanced" Goodyears and never had one problem, other than the resulting vibrations. That's not to say that driving with unbalanced wheels is the best thing to do in the world, but then again, neither is Goodyeat selling crappy out of round wheels.

I've had my car up to 140mph with those wheels, and not once in 7000 miles did I ever feel the balance issue was putting my driver control, or safety at risk.

Vibrations result from frequency. Frequency only happens at certain times. Unbalanced wheels will only vibrate at two points.... the first mph caused by the unbalance, and then again at twice that speed. Obviously most people won't hit that double frequency number. Rick makes it sound like if you drive around with unbalanced wheels, the car is going to shake the entire time you drive it and be dangerous. That statement is untrue and rediculous.

See my car at CSXinfo.net here >> CSX 4241
Old 04-06-2008, 04:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Sal, you're a dumbass.
Old 04-06-2008, 04:59 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance # 532, 466 BB, 560HP
Not Ranked     

One brief comment in Goodyears defense.

These are bias ply, non-DOT rated race tires, never meant to be on the street.

To criticize their problems on the street is a little unfair.
Old 04-06-2008, 05:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby American CSX 4241 - authentically built
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverback51 View Post
One brief comment in Goodyears defense.

These are bias ply, non-DOT rated race tires, never meant to be on the street.

To criticize their problems on the street is a little unfair.
I don't think anyone has mentioned any problems related to street use. We are talking about RACE tires that are out of round, hard to balance, and dry cracked. New. Out of the mold.

If anything, a race tire should be built to BETTER tolerances than a street tire.

See my car at CSXinfo.net here >> CSX 4241
Old 04-06-2008, 05:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster
Not Ranked     

I guess when racing technology hit the consumer market it was learned that round radial tires are better. I don't need a lecture because I already feel like a dumbass. I have a Cobra that looks awsome sitting in a parking space, I would just be embarrassed to have someone take it for a drive. Shake, rattle and roll. I look forward to a good week. And lets not take this stuff too seriously, and remain safe and sane. I'm sure we all take risks and use our best judgement at the same time.

John
Old 04-06-2008, 05:24 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: JBL now SOLD
Send a message via AIM to jdean
Not Ranked     

John,

Just curious, what did you ever decide about the bumpers?
Old 04-06-2008, 05:50 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I haven't seen any NEW dry cracked GY's, in fact it seems to take several years for that to happen. It will happen SOONER than a typical commercial passenger car tire, but it WON'T happen to NEW ones.

Now if your SHIPPED 'old stock', well thats a problem with your SUPPLIER. As far as out of round goes, thats a problem with certain batches, again, address the problem with your SUPPLIER. If your not happy with what you got, return them, don't buy them or whatever. If they 'scare' you, buy something else. I have yet to find another brand that offers better traction in a treaded tire. For me, traction equals safety. Therefore, the GY's are my first choice for speeds well into the 100 mph range, wet weather and dry traction. For RACE tires there darn hard to beat, period. There extremely light weight, a very desirable trate when your racing, maybe not so good if you run over debris, your call. You can pick up a BIG GY with one finger, try that with a TA or a Mickey Thompson. The GY's replaced my Mickey Thompson's by the way, the MT's just wouldn't cut it for good traction.

When I was working at the race track, before it shut down, we would get a large number of 'race' tires in various sizes for various cars. When they came in we would pounce on them to get the 'best ones', quality ALWAYS varied. Some were not so good, some were OK, some were great! Didn't matter WHO the manufacturer was, not all race tires are created equal. I know that holds true for passenger car tires as well, but I do think passenger car tires are more closely monitored for defects, all though certainly some get through anyway.

Being as they are CLEARLY marked as RACE tires, it's ridiculous to think your going to sue Goodyear for an accident linked to these tires on the STREET! Which by the way, I've never heard a SINGLE case of ANYONE claiming the GY's caused an accident, not ONE. Nor a blowout from a defective GY.

Firestone getting sued for roll overs? OK, their STREET TIRES!!!! HELLO!!!!

Last edited by Excaliber; 04-06-2008 at 05:54 PM..