S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-19-2008, 09:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Scratch built, 460
Not Ranked     
Default Goodyear billboards; let’s kick this dead horse one more time!

One more time kicking the Goodyear horse. I’ve just about got myself convinced to get the Goodyear billboards on looks alone. The ones I'm looking at are from Summit and run about 280.00 each in the R655 compound, they are Goodyear Blue Streak cobra tires. I’ve spent entirely too much time searching this sight for Goodyear info, and it’s kind of overwhelming. I’ve read about the DOT argument, the driving in the rain argument, the vintage racing argument, the 17” argument, and so on and so on. I don’t care about the DOT thing, as for the rain, I’ve ran ET drag slicks and moroso front runners on the street, M/T wrinkle wall sportsman pro’s, M and H, Pro-trac, BFG T/A’s (couldn’t get traction if you nailed them to the road).

What I want to know is if these tires will get good dry traction, and how would they compare to say a BFG drag radial or M/T drag radial in 325/50-15 vs. 26.5X10-15. I’m mainly going to be street driving, but I do have 550hp.

What do you guys think?
Old 05-19-2008, 09:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I don't know if those are the billboard tires typically seen here on Cobras. The "Billboards" that most of us run is the "Sports Car Specials" not Bluestreaks.

They have great wet and dry traction. They flatspot when they sit. They ride rougher than typical radial tires. They are fabulous.
Old 05-19-2008, 10:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #473 427 every option, Keithcraft aluminum FE 482 ci. Mass Flo FI. Tremec TKO 600.
Not Ranked     
Default Sports car specials

Mine came with the Sports Car Specials also.
Old 05-19-2008, 10:21 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

What the others said, you want the Goodyear 'Bill Boards", big white letters on the side. Here's a link to Roger Krause...

GOODYEAR COBRA TIRE SHEET
Old 05-19-2008, 10:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX 4766 (Vegas Built) with 482 Aluminum Pond motor
Not Ranked     

I love the looks of them on my car as does everyone else. They do a good job on the track. Hoever on the street I think they suck. Thinking about switching to the Drag Radial myself.

Old 05-19-2008, 10:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

What sucks about them on the street?
Old 05-19-2008, 10:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Send a message via AIM to mj_duell
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnson View Post
What sucks about them on the street?
They hunt quite a bit on the street. They look great though.

--Mike
Old 05-19-2008, 10:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

So they hunt quite a bit, wrinkle wall drag tires at 12psi hunt also. What else don't you guys like about these tires?
Old 05-19-2008, 11:17 AM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

Here it all is again...

"Billboards" refer to the Sports Car Specials. They are the "B" group at the Krause site Ernie (Excaliber) linked for you. They are rain tires. They barely hunt (less than Hoosiers or Bluestreaks) on the street...unless you're on a grooved freeway (My C6 Vette's Goodyears hunt more than they do). And for the flat spot worry-worts, it goes away in a mile.

They do a good job in the rain and even light snow (I've driven them over Mt. Rose near Tahoe twice and the Carson Pass once in light snow...I'm still alive). Their temp rating is a little lower than a hand cut slick or Bluestreak, which is a good thing (having a tread is only part of the story...you need a tire to operate at lower temps to work). They do a good job on the track as well. They are a bias ply tire...easy to plug if you pick up a nail...at least to get to a service station. After several thousand miles of driving on several sets over the years, I have yet to get a flat (I will tomorrow having written this).

Folks keep trying to come up with excuses for not using them...they still are the best all-round tire for a Cobra running proper 15" wheels.

Several of us just ran the sh!t out of them all day at a hot track at the Bash, and then calmly ran them through the Sierra Nevadas around Tahoe for a 100+ drive the very next day. Some folks drove home on them the next day. And we've done that for four years. What the he!! more do you want for a referral? Any more, just get your own set and try them...or don't!

Bluestreaks are NOT Billboards...arguments start because folks use the wrong terms. They are the "A" group at the Krause site. Bluestreaks have a stickier rating, and though they have a rain tread are no way as good in the rain as the Billboards (their temp rating on the most commonly available compound is higher)...though they are stickier on the track in the dry. I would say they are downright dangerous in the rain.

Avons are being promoted lately...more money, and for me...not quite the look I want. Drag radials seem to work well at the track (even one with curves which they were not designed for). Depends on the look you want.

You are welcome...the Search button is there for a purpose.
Old 05-19-2008, 11:40 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

My dog, "That dog can hunt"! My tires, "That tire don't hunt."
Old 05-28-2008, 06:24 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance # 532, 466 BB, 560HP
Not Ranked     

Well my new BillBoards arrived yesterday. Going to get them mounted up today and hopefully on Saturday I will get the alignment done.

Really looking forward to seeing how they do. Lord knows they will be better then the GT II's on it currently.
Old 05-28-2008, 09:57 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #867 gone....
Neutral     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamo View Post
........Bluestreaks are NOT Billboards...arguments start because folks use the wrong terms. They are the "A" group at the Krause site. Bluestreaks have a stickier rating, and though they have a rain tread are no way as good in the rain as the Billboards (their temp rating on the most commonly available compound is higher)...though they are stickier on the track in the dry. I would say they are downright dangerous in the rain.
Update: True, Bluestreaks used to be available in the stickier R430 compound, however Goodyear has discontinued this compound. Bluestreaks are now the same R655 compound as the billboards. The G7 Bluestreaks and the billboards are essentially the same tire except for tread. Billboards have more open to the tread and are okay for rain. Bluestreaks have a "chicken scratch" tread but are dry only. Bluestreaks are what most of the vintage racers run.
FYI: The Goodyear PN's for "billboards" is 807-073-068, 2546 (front) and 807-481-068, 2547 (rear).
PN's for Bluestreaks are 807-052-068, 1724 (front) and 807-118-068, 1756 (8.7" wide rear) and 807-289-068, 1758 (10.1" wide rear)

My Bluestreak's arrive this week, just in time for Tulsa!
Old 05-28-2008, 10:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR # 126/ K. Craft 306 CID/375 HP- 306 RWHP
Not Ranked     

What about the 1st set of tires listed on the R Kraus site? The tread pattern looks similiar to the billbords. Are they any good ?

" Listen to that music! "

'65 BDR #126
'84 Porsche 928S
'01 Corvette C5 coupe
'99 Ford Explorer Limited
Old 05-28-2008, 10:50 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

I love mine!

The do not hunt or track unless you are on crappy roads. Maybe if you track on good roads it is suspension related?
Compared to BFG's
Positives:
Grip is 9 on dry roads
Grip is 6-7 on wet. (I drive slow in weather)
Looks
Once warmed up they ride smooth

Negatives:
Flat spot (works out in a few minutes)
Throws rocks all day long

Love them.................................
Old 05-28-2008, 11:10 AM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrob View Post
What about the 1st set of tires listed on the R Kraus site? The tread pattern looks similiar to the billbords. Are they any good ?
Rather than repeat the info, please read my post above wherein I identified what the "A" and "B" list tires were. Note that part of my post was just repeated in MadMiles post...merely one post above yours.

Oh what the he!!...the "A" list are the Bluestreaks and the "B" list are the Billboards. Several of us have now described the differences.

Last edited by Jamo; 05-28-2008 at 11:17 AM..
Old 05-28-2008, 11:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby American CSX 4241 - authentically built
Not Ranked     

I've had the billboards on my car for over 8k miles.

Only "bad" points I've experianced... They flat spot when they've sat. That goes away in a few miles. They leak air through the porous sidewalls. That can be fixed by using tubes. They bite very well, so if you hit a batch of "uneven" road (where the grind it down to lay fresh stuff and it's all lines) or going over a grated bridge, they will grab the ruts and pattern in the road and you will fight to keep the car straight.

Other than that, I love them. I will be putting another set on when these are done (they have tons of life left at 8k BTW).

See my car at CSXinfo.net here >> CSX 4241
Old 05-28-2008, 06:46 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Sal...you really experience that much leakage? I'm on my third set, and I've never lost a pound on any of them (except for a nail which plugged easily) whether they sit or on a drive. Are you sure your wheels aren't seeping?
Old 05-28-2008, 09:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

2 of mine weep a bit of air as well. If you drop them in the pool you can see where it comes out around the seam where the tread meets the sidewalls.
I only lose about 2 pounds per week.
Old 05-28-2008, 09:20 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

My experience has been the same as Jamo's, virtually zero leaks even over a long period of time. My tires are now so old there showing some real bad sidewall cracking, stretch marks, tire rot, whatever you want to call it. I need a new set soon!

Now, as fate would have it, the right front recently started leaking down within 3 or 4 days of filling. Drops from 30 psi to about 15 psi and then holds steady. Can't find a nail or any obvious malfunction, could be the age cracks on the sidewalls I guess.

Caution, thread hijack in progress.

Moving soon, will get new ones once I'm on the mainland (looks like Houston, by the way). Thinking about buying this place in fact, gotta love that 5 car garage!

Last edited by Excaliber; 05-28-2008 at 09:29 PM..
Old 05-28-2008, 09:59 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cardiac, 428 FE
Not Ranked     

Can anybody enlighten me as to what is going on at CC right now? Most of the threads get a "Not Found" message and I can't post a new thread to any forum.

Maintenance? Would be nice to let us know. Or, then again, maybe it's just my ISP?