Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-31-2009, 11:33 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 428 FE 4-speed CR "TL" heavy spline
Not Ranked     

Thanks for the input.

By the way, I've looked over my tires and, frankly, both sides look the same so I'm wondering if they are or what may be the indicator of which side is out and which is in - both sides are painted (letters) from the factory. Of course, I'm going to eliminate the paint on the inside as soon as I determine which side is inside. Any insight on this?

Also, it may be overkill but Griot's Garage has some very exacting paint applicators that I've used to touch up car paint - they would also work well on this project, especially along the edges.

If interested, http://www.griotsgarage.com/p2p/sear...rrivals&page=1
Old 03-31-2009, 12:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1966 Lone Star 427SC.
Not Ranked     

I'll have to look at mine and see if there's a difference. The biggest reason I did not use the various paint pens is because I thought it would take forever, to apply but, I have talked to a couple of guys that said it went fairly fast.

I'll try the Ranger paint and see how it goes. I'm hoping that with my quality paint brushes, that I won't have the brush marks.
Old 03-31-2009, 12:24 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance # 532, 466 BB, 560HP
Not Ranked     

I'm at work right now and don't have time to find the post, but these tires are directional.

Do a search before you mount them.
Old 03-31-2009, 01:34 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUNFER2 View Post
I'll have to look at mine and see if there's a difference. The biggest reason I did not use the various paint pens is because I thought it would take forever, to apply but, I have talked to a couple of guys that said it went fairly fast.

I'll try the Ranger paint and see how it goes. I'm hoping that with my quality paint brushes, that I won't have the brush marks.
Thanks.

I started taking the paint off of one tire - there is a small sticker that doesn't actually come off on one side - mine says 0030 9002 - I don't want that showing so that's the inside. It's the indication I was looking for - but I'm guessing. My tire mounting guy will know for sure, hopefully. I'm not going to paint them until after they are mounted.
Old 03-31-2009, 01:40 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:

Thanks.

I started taking the paint off of one tire - there is a small sticker that doesn't actually come off on one side - mine says 0030 9002 - I don't want that showing so that's the inside. It's the indication I was looking for - but I'm guessing. My tire mounting guy will know for sure, hopefully. I'm not going to paint them until after they are mounted.
Old 03-31-2009, 01:42 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverback51 View Post
I'm at work right now and don't have time to find the post, but these tires are directional.

Do a search before you mount them.
Thanks for the heads up - I'll defer to the tire mounting guy on which side is which - he should know, hopefully.
Old 03-31-2009, 03:03 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobra de capell View Post
Thanks for the heads up - I'll defer to the tire mounting guy on which side is which - he should know, hopefully.
I'm going to guess that unless he mounts a lot of these tires, he will not know.

Here is a link to the site that explains it.

http://www.rogerkrausracing.net/files/34011210.pdf
Old 04-01-2009, 02:12 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
I'm going to guess that unless he mounts a lot of these tires, he will not know.

Here is a link to the site that explains it.

http://www.rogerkrausracing.net/files/34011210.pdf
WOW - I owe you, Silverback51, I also doubt that he knows this.

Question - the X - Serial Number - is that the small tag on each tire - some numbers, along with what looks like a bar code - I now notice that each one is different (numbers), just checking as I really need to get this right the first time.

Also, the Kraus specs show a notation in the Goodyear section relating to Yellow Letter tires - I'm thinking - that's not my tires, right? So my pattern is Rear Wheel Drive with serial numbers showing on the left front and right rear, agree?

I realize that some of these questions are really lame, but I've no expertise in this area, only banking.

Thanks for any input and once again for your post above.
Old 04-01-2009, 02:34 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:

There is a huge difference - looks like the serial numbers are embedded on one side - indicates how they are to be mounted - see Silverback51 post and URL to Roger Kraus Racing above.

Also, I ordered paint from Ranger Labs - asked them first what to use to take paint off, even their paint - they stated......"remove paint using acetone".
____

PS - acetone seems a little harsh to me, I'm going back to Rubbing Alcohol.

It appears to work and is a lot faster than Rubbing Alcohol, on the other hand it's stronger and a real chemical.

Last edited by cobra de capell; 04-01-2009 at 03:58 PM..
Old 04-01-2009, 02:59 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobra de capell View Post
WOW - I owe you, Silverback51, I also doubt that he knows this.

Question - the X - Serial Number - is that the small tag on each tire - some numbers, along with what looks like a bar code - I now notice that each one is different (numbers), just checking as I really need to get this right the first time.

Also, the Kraus specs show a notation in the Goodyear section relating to Yellow Letter tires - I'm thinking - that's not my tires, right? So my pattern is Rear Wheel Drive with serial numbers showing on the left front and right rear, agree?

I realize that some of these questions are really lame, but I've no expertise in this area, only banking.

Thanks for any input and once again for your post above.
You have it correct CDC.

The Yellow Letter tires are the full race slick, or the hand grooved slicks. Not what you have.

Now get out there and get them mounted so we know how how you like them.
Old 04-01-2009, 03:14 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

Frank,

Buy a piant pen/marker at a local craft store like Ben Franklin. They will have a blue that is close to the shade you want. Will cost about $8............
Old 04-01-2009, 04:01 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
You have it correct CDC.

The Yellow Letter tires are the full race slick, or the hand grooved slicks. Not what you have.

Now get out there and get them mounted so we know how how you like them.
I'm on the case, but someone should inform Goodyear to forget about 'painting' the letters white from the factory - it's mind boggling to see what a slop job they do, one may as well start with nothing painted and paint. I realize that they are actually race tires, but Geez, they're not free and buying America should produce an American well done job, period.
Old 04-17-2009, 11:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 3850, 95 Cobra 5.0 EFI, IRS, Pin Drive 15" real Magnesium Halibrands & Vintage Wheels, Billboards & Mickey Thompson S/T tires, Blue/Wht Stripes, Hoops, CSX Dash, Konis, VPMs, Torsen
Not Ranked     

Any results on the Ranger paint?
Old 04-17-2009, 12:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 3850, 95 Cobra 5.0 EFI, IRS, Pin Drive 15" real Magnesium Halibrands & Vintage Wheels, Billboards & Mickey Thompson S/T tires, Blue/Wht Stripes, Hoops, CSX Dash, Konis, VPMs, Torsen
Not Ranked     
Default Painted Bill Boards

efrost got his Bill Boards painted:

Nice work!!

Here are his secrets:
Quote:
I used rubbing alcohol and a rag to get the old paint off... plus elbow grease of course.

I did use the ranger paint for the first coat on three of the tires. I should have cut the paint to make it a little thinner but I’m a rooky. There are brush strokes visible once you get up close plus the paint brush is a real pain. In the mean time my wife brought home two acrylic paint pens from Wally world. What a dream to use. I finished off a total of three thin coats on all the tires. It going to be very interesting to see how the paint holds up.

The car has been on jack stands for a week now as I was modifying the suspension with new shocks, springs, sway bars, and.... totally crazy.

I will drive the Yoko's around until the suspension settles and I dial in the shocks. Once I put a few miles on the suspension, today pending rain, I plan to put the car back on jack stand and go over the bolts one more time. After that I will mount the BB's on the car for their first outing.

Take your time if you decide to paint the letters. The first coat is the worst in my opinion.

Regards,

Ed
Old 04-18-2009, 09:27 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry N Johnson View Post
Any results on the Ranger paint?
I purchased, I tried putting in on, I stopped putting it on and mounting the tires without painting the letters. Actually, I found out that my hand is no longer 100% steady and my level of patience continues to be non-existent, therefore perhaps I’ll try again another day.

To me, it’s all about the brush strokes, actually the lack thereof and painting with a brush leaves brush strokes – I don’t like that, at all. So, until I find a way to eliminate that problem, no white letters.

I did try an acrylic paint pen from Wally World – too watery, same problem.

Duplicoler offers a Hot Tires Tire Paint Stick in white – that’s the next step, but I’m just not sure that the goal of having white letters that look like they were professionally done (not painted on with a paint brush) can be achieved, up close.

On the other hand, if you have a steady hand and lots of patience and don't require a perfect look, the paint works on rubber.

Perhaps I’m way too anal in this area.

PS edit - here's something interesting - a picture of a billboard tire - it's on a Cobra for sale - CSX4000 Series 427 S/C $119,990 - just look at the painting job....therefore, is this the look - the goal? A 5 year old can achieve this look. On the other hand, if that's the standard......the Cobra is listed with only 160 miles on it.

Last edited by cobra de capell; 04-19-2009 at 12:46 PM.. Reason: Insert Picture of a billboard tire
Old 11-16-2010, 06:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

WARNING !! Before using RANGER white wall tire paint DO NOT USE DEGREASER THINNER etc like you do with other tire paint. Just leave the tire like it is !! only use a rag to wife off dirt before you paint ! any oilcleaner etc will make Ranger paint come off with first trip. I tried sanding and degreaser and the paint came right off,after contacting them they said to leave tire as is,only wipe off tire with a rag or you get a reaction that cases paint to come off.if you have used a degreaser they told me to drive for a few days before you aply Ranger paint,so that thinner acetonetc get time to vanish away first. !!
Old 11-16-2010, 10:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

http://www.rogerkrausracing.com/

Something I found good success with is after painting in the letters and the Wingfoot and alloying it to semidry, I lightly scuff the outlining edges with fine grit garnet type sandpaper. It seems to define the edges very well and takes the paint off of the high spots on the edges. Give it a try, you'll see what I mean. Just don't scratch the inside of the painted letters.

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way

Last edited by Rick Parker; 11-16-2010 at 10:28 PM..