12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-11-2009, 07:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1966 Lone Star 427SC.
Not Ranked     
Default Check out this white tire paint.

This is something new in my search to paint my new Billboards.
Let me know what you guys think.

http://www.mbzponton.org/valueadded/other/tirepaint.htm
Old 03-11-2009, 08:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, supercharged Coyote
Not Ranked     

Pick up a copy of Popular Hot Rodding, April 09. On page 56, there's some instructions on how to put the logo of your choice on a tire sidewall. They recommend a light coat of Duplicolor.

They also show how they made and used a stencil.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

What type of Duplicolor ?
Old 03-11-2009, 08:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: many Hurricanes
Not Ranked     

I use Ranger Tire Paint and love it. A small can will last a very long time. Easy to use.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I have several questions.

How easily was it applied ?

How many coats did it take ?

How long have they been painted ?

What do you do for cleaning without hurting the paint ?

Do you use a tire dressing ?

With my Good Year II, when I dress them, the black ink covers the lettering and I have to use bleach white to clean them so, I'm concerned about the same problem with my new Billboard tires, and any tire paint, coming off or discoloring ?
Old 03-11-2009, 09:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: superformance/427 fe ford
Not Ranked     

hey kevin, call rodger kraus and get a tire paint pen. just like it says a pen. hold it like a pencil. dries quickly. i used it on my car. i get my lift tomorrow. how bout u?
Old 03-11-2009, 09:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Kevin,
The first time I used Ranger tire paint was at a car show. One of my customers had tried it and he wanted me to test it out also. I put 2 very light coats on the letters with a small brush that was about 1" wide. I use a spray on shine for tire dressing because some of the wipe on cause the black rubber to smear onto the white. Mine looked great for months but it'll depend on how you drive. If you rub against curbs you'll have to recoat the area. I used soap and water to clean mine but I don't hit curbs or drive on dirt roads. I only get normal road dust. My letters looked soooo much nicer than the stock white. If you lived close by I'd loan you the can to try but I see we aren't close. If you try it, let me know what you think.
Bonnie
Old 03-12-2009, 03:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BRG ERA street car w/428 PI, Sunburst wheels, undercar exhaust, original interior, no philips head screws!
Not Ranked     

Can you list contact info for Rodger? I googled him and tire paint pen with no luck.
Old 03-12-2009, 06:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: superformance/427 fe ford
Not Ranked     

his number is 510-582-5031. rodger kraus racing 2896 grove way, castro valley ca. 94546. they sell billboards too.
Old 03-12-2009, 09:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Doesn't the tire pen, take for ever to apply on such big letters like the Billboards ?

Bonnie- I never get close to curbs. lol
I think I'll try the Ranger paint.
I also use the spray on dressing but, the black still gets on my lettering. I can't wait to get my Billboards.

And what's this with no pics of your car !
Kev
Old 03-12-2009, 10:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BRG ERA street car w/428 PI, Sunburst wheels, undercar exhaust, original interior, no philips head screws!
Not Ranked     

Guys, when you refer to a pen is it just a white colored pen or does he sell other colors?

I'm trying to replicate the blue dots on the original street cars...I order the Ranger paint already but was just curious as I might buy both and see which one is better...I have a spare tire or two to perfect the process...
Old 03-12-2009, 10:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

They have many colors.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Do they have a website?
Old 03-12-2009, 11:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Kevin, you can look at some of my cobras at www. ExoticRe-Creations.com I have a business that builds the cobra kits. We mainly built the Hurricanes until they stopped producing. So some of them, I use as show cars for awhile and then put them up for sale. This is why the nice looking white letters were very important to me. I bought a paint pen at a car show several years ago, and you're right, it takes longer and doesn't look as smooth. I don't have billboards, just the Goodyear letters. You're lucky to get them. I've had problems even getting the regular Goodyears with white lettering at times. I had several sets of Goodyears come in with a brownish tint on the white letters and tried everything on the market to clean them. Nothing worked. But Ranger paint was so white that it really catches your eye. And just for the record I don't work for them. lol Let me know what you think after you use it. I always like other opinions.

Bonnie
Old 03-12-2009, 01:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Kevin,
Did you find their website at rangerpaint.com. The can of white is $9.00 and the red, blue, green and yellow is $15.00. I just taked to my customer that turned me on to this stuff. He said it lasts about a year. I've used out of this can on about 4 cobras and I'd say I've used about 20% of the can. 1 can will last you for several years so don't order very much.

Bonnie
Old 03-12-2009, 03:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

428street- here is the info. I don't know why when I save the Duplicolor site that it gave me this page but, you can type Duplicolor into your browser.

http://www.shop.com/Duplicolor_Hot_T...69667-p!.shtml

Bonnie- I'll check out your site. You'll get a PM shortly.
Old 03-12-2009, 07:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks FunFer2...I check out the link and they only have white, red and another color, no blue...
Old 03-31-2009, 09:34 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 428 FE 4-speed CR "TL" heavy spline
Not Ranked     

This is from the site posted above (mbzponton.org)

FOR BEST RESULTS

Before painting, sand the tires and use a Silicone-Remover (Spirit Wipe) to clean the tires and get rid of all dirt and silicone.

Paint the tires with 3 layers of WTP.

Use the Westley´s Bleche-Wite and the sponge to clean off dirt and dis-coloration from the whites.

To achieve a "perfect" curved paint line it is best to outline the desired whitewall area using common automotive painter's tape (pin stripe tape). After painting, the painted outlines must be scored to prevent tearing the paint upon removal of the tape."
_____

Seems like a good routine - preparing the surface and finishing - regardless of what type of paint one uses.
Old 03-31-2009, 09:57 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 428 FE 4-speed CR "TL" heavy spline
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUNFER2 View Post
This is something new in my search to paint my new Billboards.
Let me know what you guys think.

http://www.mbzponton.org/valueadded/other/tirepaint.htm
Did you end up ordering paint from Ranger Tire Paint? If yes, was it the White Side Wall paint?

Probably a silly question, but what's the standard relating to which part of the lettering gets painted - specifically, is paint applied to just the inside of the lettering - leaving the raised rubber that surrounds each letter black or is the raised rubber sides part also painted? In other words, which is the end point on each side for the best look and for easy maintenance?

As my tires arrived, there is no telling what was suppose to be painted as paint is inside, on the raised rubber sides and outside that point - sort of like someone had a stencil but didn't bother to place it correctly or completed the job in under 5 second per tire. Just sort of pisses me off, but that's life.
Old 03-31-2009, 10:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yep, I have the paint but haven't tried it yet. My mommy always told me to paint inside,.....the lines so, that's my plan. I bought some high quality paint brush assortment, at a craft store that was 50% off. I paid 10 bucks. I need to get my lift install done first, so I can take the wheels off.

I was not shocked of the bad quality of paint spraying, as I knew of this before ordering. I agree, in 2009, it should look great right from Good Year but, they don't give a damn because their for racing. You know what though, a few years ago, I bought the Good Year II's, and both rear tires lettering came looking more brown than white. Real ****ty job. The fronts are great.