Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Tornado Alley Cobra Club (Eastern Oklahoma)

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
May 2024
S M T W T F S
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2008, 08:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Spyder GT, 347
Not Ranked     
Default build party?

Uuugh... I don't really need a build party, I just need to figure out why my car won't start. I just replaced the oil pump/pickup/pump driveshaft due to a pump driveshaft failure.

Anyone want to pick a date to come to Enid and help get this thing sorted? Anyone have a wideband O2 sensor?? Pilot training is pretty busy so Saturdays are about my only free time. I have Boulevard Wheat on tap!
Old 02-10-2008, 10:06 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lonestar LS427, Keith Craft 496 Genesis, 649 hp, 668 ft-lb, TKO-600, Dynatek Stack EFI
Not Ranked     

My first though is that the distributor didn't get re-installed in phase or maybe didn't get wired correctly. BTW, I do get to Enid quite often since the two main oil companies I consult for are based there. Just the mention of Boulevard Wheat made my mouth water.

Brad W.
Old 02-11-2008, 04:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The dizzy is back in exactly as it was removed. I'm pretty confident that it's installed correctly - the timing was set to about 10* before it came out and it was close to running before the oil pump problem. Before it would start but die immediately after, or maybe run for a few seconds but die if I touched the throttle at all.
Old 02-11-2008, 05:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Send a message via AIM to Clois Harlan
Not Ranked     

What kind of distributor are you running? Are you running an MSD, Mallory, or some other type of electronic ignition? Have you got a good charge on your battery? How about your coil wires? Distributor cap may be a problem!

I know these are all very simple things but I have missed at least one on several occassions. If you still don't have it running this Friday send me an email and I will try and switch my schedule and drive up to Enid on Saturday.

clharlan@dcpmidstream.com

Clois

"Let's roll"

"Be part of Something Good
......Leave Something Good Behind!"
from CD "Long Road Out of Eden"
Old 02-11-2008, 05:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Clois, thanks for the help. I'm running and MSD TFI-module distributor and it's actually the second one I've had in this motor. There is no ignition box but I do use a high-vibration MSD coil. It appears more willing to try and start when the weather is warmer for sure, and occasionally it will catch and run but not for very long (seconds at most). That's probably what's the most frustrating - it's soooo close, and I know I've got all the pieces there because it tries, but something is holding it back and I don't know what.
Old 02-11-2008, 05:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

When the car runs for a few seconds, does it have a really rough idle? It sounds like the distributor could be off, even 1 tooth off would cause you problems.
Old 02-12-2008, 07:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

No, if it'll idle it sounds pretty normal. I tried bumping the dizzy a tooth and even switching it 180*, it definetly ran worse then.
Old 02-12-2008, 07:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates in-work again
Not Ranked     

I'm not a engine guy. But I totally rebuilt a 5.0 from wireharness to all sencers, no pistons, cams and so forth. If you have the basics like timing cam, gears and dist'r then its is a EFI electroics problem. You can fake out the EEC by grounding out the relayes and sencers. O2's will just control your idel, lean or rich mixture and that all depends on the placement of the CO2's. If you have compression, gas and spark it should start. I'll take a double duce, 22 oz darft!!

Last edited by treblig; 02-12-2008 at 08:02 PM.. Reason: adding
Old 02-13-2008, 03:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I have compression x8, gas, and spark. The relays work as advertised (EEC turns on, FP turns on and runs). It'll start sometimes, it won't others. When it will start, it won't stay running. It will either A) die after a few seconds, or B) die the instant I touch the throttle. The IAB solenoid works. It's a mass-flo system calibrated for #42s, which I have installed. Timing is set about 10* BTDC and FP is between 30 and 40 w/ vacuum disconnected. All parameters are set so the car should at least RUN, even if it is poorly.
Old 02-14-2008, 07:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates in-work again
Not Ranked     

I guess it has never ran right??

If so:
If it runs then just stops that means everything works to a degree. Timing, O2’s crap like that will not stop the motor. I will cause it to run rich or lean, idle fast or slow. With moving components (cam, piston,crank,valaves) causes movement of wires, builds up heat and so forth this is causing it to quit on you.

This could be one or two problems or even both. Fuel flow or wiring.
1. The easiest thing to check first is fuel flow. Check the fuel flow / fuel pump. Go as far to the intake system as possible ( at the injector or carb. ) no flow then work yourself back until you get a consent flow. You need to run the flow test longer then the engine will idle. Don’t trust any gages, do it manually.
Check color of fuel filter dirt
New or used tank, rust inside?
Fuel lines smooth bends no kinks, clamps. If you have braded lines make sure you can see day light. On your pickup tube I’ve even seen where the screen got sucked into the line.

If the flow is constant then you an electrical problem.

1. On fiberglass cars 90% is due to incorrect ground or poor ground wires. This will really mess up any relay you have. I fought this for two months! What will happen here is,,, the car will start then stop. You turn the key to start it again and it just clicks because you lost your flow. Then the next day it will run.

2. Loose wire somewhere. Start by elemating all unnecessary system by pulling the fuses. All you need are systems that make the motor go. If this is your problem then plug each system in by it’s self. When the motor dies then you have and short, broken wire within that system.

3. OR, when the motor is running take a no-bounce hammer and tap your electrical components. You could have a bad solder joint, cracked board. Another trick is to get a hair dryer and put heat to your system. Heat will cause expansion causing everything to grow.

I know this is a lot but if you take it to a shop their just going to replace each item and charge you for one or ten items. Plus you will learn more about your car in case you have any road side issues. Like you do with Chevy’s.