SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Transmission Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-14-2011, 02:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default 63 galaxie 500 xl tranny confusion

I bought my 63 galaxie 500 xl box top 390 and without a transmission. I had cruise-o-matic in it. I have aquired a BW T-10 and everything to convert it over to a stick. I got the driveshaft with my car and I'm talking to a guy about a BW T-10 tranny yoke becuase the one that is on my driveshaft is too big in diameter. He was telling me that the driveshaft lenght is different between a stick and an automatic. I measured my driveshaft from end to end is 57 3/4 without the yoke. What I am trying to find out is how long a cruise-o-matic is. My car is a factory 390. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks. Bob.
Old 10-14-2011, 03:06 PM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

According to the Fords parts manual the length varies by the build date of the car spliting in June. The early shaft is 56 11/32 (C3AZ-4602-C) the later shaft is 56 1/4 (C3AZ-4602-S). All Ford driveshafts are measured from U joint center to center.

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 10-14-2011, 04:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

So the only difference is early year and the later year? Also the lenght is the same for a stick and an automatic? My car was built on february 3rd of 63. Bob
Old 10-14-2011, 06:12 PM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxie427428 View Post
So the only difference is early year and the later year? Also the lenght is the same for a stick and an automatic? My car was built on february 3rd of 63. Bob
No, the auto and manual ARE different. The P/Ns I posted were for a 390 with a 4 speed. You need the 56 11/32" unit. Most good driveshaft shops can build or modify your unit.

Old 10-14-2011, 07:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Do you have the measurements for an automatic trans early and late year? Are you getting your info from a shop manual? Bob.
Old 10-14-2011, 08:21 PM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxie427428 View Post
Do you have the measurements for an automatic trans early and late year? Are you getting your info from a shop manual? Bob.
The info is from the Ford parts manual, I have 1949 to 1972 parts books as well as many other Ford publications. The shop manual does not give this info. Is the driveshaft original to the car? What is the transmission code on the door data plate? I can give you dimensions with that info supplied.

Old 10-15-2011, 04:35 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4772 old iron FE
Not Ranked     

You need your trans yoke and diff drive flange in place on the car. Push the trans yoke in as far as it will go. Pull it back out 1/2" and measure between the centres of the U joints as Rick suggests. Take the pieces to your drive shaft shop and have them put it together.
Old 10-15-2011, 11:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The driveshaft is original to the car. My Trans code is 4. From what I gather its a 390 car with a cruise-o-matic.
Old 10-17-2011, 05:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Where can I get the old ford service manuals? Are they available new oe are they something that came from a dealership service desk? What are the best books to get for a car? Are the shop manuals even worth getting? For my galaxie the only shop manual I have came across was for a 62 but has the 63 galaxie suppliment. I have tried finding dimensions and stuff like that on the cruise-o-matics online and I haven't found anything. I would like to find like a ford interchange book and something that would offer dimensions on stuff like drivshafts, rear ends. It would make it a lot easier for me to figure out stuff then trying to search for it on the net. Bob.
Old 10-17-2011, 05:58 PM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Most all of the parts vendors carry the shop manuals. And yes, the correct setup is a '62 with the '63 suppliment. They did not do complete new manulas for 1963.

The Ford "assembly manuals" are a good investment if you are doing serious restoration work. The shop manual assumes you have a complete car and are "repairing". The assembly manuals are the books that told the factorys how to "build" the car. They have all torques, dimensions, wire routings, etc.

Jim Osborn Reproductions is the licensed printer of these. Each manual covers a different area of the complete full size Ford product line. These will show you all of the sealants, clips, bumpers and numerous other things a shop manual does not cover. See Product List

Old 10-17-2011, 06:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Is there any way you could tell me the lengths of the automatic driveshafts for the 63 galaxie with a 390 and a cruise-o-matic? I always thought that the automatic and the manuals had the same driveshafts but I was wring. Bob.
Old 10-18-2011, 03:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I have found myself is somewhat of a pickle. I tried gegtting my BW T-10 in my car today to mock it all up and found out that the bellhousing I got with my tranny is for a 223 6 cyl and not an FE. I am wondering if I can use the newer style truck type bellhousing and have the narrow bolt pattern drilled and tapped so my tranny will bolt to it, but I was told that I may run into trouble with the depth of the truck type bellhousing. Or should I get the right style bellhousing that takes the long bendix type starter thats correct for the time period. Also if I can use the newer truck type bellhousing will the truck style clutch fork work right for my car? The thing I am wondering if I go that way is can I put a 428 up to the bellhousing/tranny and use the 428 flywheel. Bob.