SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Transmission Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Riverside racer

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-07-2013, 12:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hi-Tech
Not Ranked     
Default Forte Slave Cylinder Bracket With Original Style Frame

I am in the process of building an original style Hi-Tech cobra - round tube frame per original. I just purchased a new TKO600 trans, quicktime bellhousing and Mike Forte's external slave system. I am concerned that I might have some interference issues with the frame rails and I wanted to see if anyone has used this setup on a Kirkham, CSX or Exact car with the original style frame. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. I would rather change direction now before I am too deep into the project.

Thanks
Attached Images

Old 04-09-2013, 02:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Quicktime Bellhousing

Looking for ideas of what people have used for clutch forks and brackets with a Quicktime bellhousing to avoid the end of the fork hitting the main frame rail. I have the Forte set up that I am hoping to install this weekend and was wondering if anyone had experience with this setup or something similar that has worked.

FE engine, short input shaft TKO600 and Quicktime bellhousing.

Thanks
Old 04-09-2013, 04:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX6363
Not Ranked     

I'm in the process of installing my QT on my CSX so I'm going through the same issue. Unless you change the position of the clutch fork, you are going to have interference. Looking at the QT as you would a clock (12 o'clock high, 6 o'clock low), the fork comes out on the QT at 7:30-8:00 o'clock compared to the position on the Lakewood being at 9 o'clock. If you were installing a Lakewood, it would not be a problem but you will have one with the QT unless you modify the bell housing.

Last night I installed my clutch/pressure plate and mounted my fork to see how close it was to the frame rail. As you can see by the pic, it will only work if the fork is indexed around the 9 o'clock position. Keep in mind the engine is sitting a little lower than normal; I'm thinking the engine will raise up about an inch after the housing and trans are mounted.

To give you an idea of what needs to be done to the bell housing, the guy who built the Ironman Cobra (Chris) modified his QT to fit a Kirkham set-up. Regardless if you use Forte's set-up or anything else, the QT will have to be modified.

This link to the Ironman Cobra will give you more info to give you a better idea of what you're about to tackle.
Iron Man Movie Kirkham Build Thread without posts
Attached Images

Old 04-09-2013, 06:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the pictures and information. I am heading up to Mickmate’s this weekend to do a trial fit with the Forte setup but I suspect that I will find exactly what you pointed out – the QT opening is too low and some machine work will need to be done to the bellhousing and the fork will need to be repositioned. I was hoping that someone had come up with a solution that didn’t require modifying the QT.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ha.....so you're the "other guy" Nick was talking about today!

Even though I knew the Ironman Cobra's QT was modified, tying the interference issue with the fork back to my car didn't really hit me until Nick pointed it out. Another friend of mine, Coach Mike, just installed his 427 w/a QT into his Unique but I don't think he had to modify his bell housing.

I hate the idea of cutting a $$$ bell housing too but after talking with Nick, I'm confident he has this problem covered.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I am lucky that I only live about an hour away from Nick - especially when you run into issues like this. Hope to have this figured out over the weekend and will keep you posted on our progress.
Old 04-10-2013, 04:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary-427 stroker
Not Ranked     

I have a Contemporary with Forte's setup. Lakewood bellhousing. My clutch fork was extended and angled to miss the frame. 9:30 or so is about right. It is close. Also my footbox had to be trimmed and reglassed a little bit.
David A.
Old 04-10-2013, 05:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6022, navy blue, period correct 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Ugh. So if I change to a QT bell from my lakewood, which I plan on doing to get a bit more room down there, I am going to run into fork clearance issues unless I modify the bell?

Even the easy stuff isn't easy on these cars...

www.partskeeper.com
(Less time searching, more time wrenching & driving)
Old 04-10-2013, 06:42 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4772 old iron FE
Not Ranked     

Mike illustrates the problem well with his parts set in there. I'm pulling Kevins Ford bellhousing out and using that as a set up piece for my slave bracket as I know that set up is close but will work. The bracket as you can see mounts off the motor flange. I'll be "indexing" the QT to match the Ford position. I have a good picture of the set up in the car I'll find for you. It's pictured here out of the car.
Clutch Slave Cylinder assembly for 427 Cobra
This original set up has the hydraulics and also mechanical advantage of the leverage on the fork. That should make the clutch operable with only one foot.

Last edited by mickmate; 04-10-2013 at 06:46 PM.. Reason: Added the last line as an afterthought
Old 04-10-2013, 06:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yep.....from what I see, it will be a little painfull but that depends on your threshold of pain.

If you get frustrated and cry because your side pipe exhaust mounting tabs don't match perfectly on a older Cobra, then I would recommend walking away from the challenge. But based on the work you did on your bearings, it will be a cake-walk for you.

Don't worry.....we'll take good notes for you!
Old 04-14-2013, 08:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well, Nick and I went to do a trial fitting with the Quicktime scattershield and Forte modified fork and slave bracket. Even though the Hi-Tech motor mounts are a little taller than the Shelby or Kirkham, which should have allowed for more clearance, the fork was still hitting the frame rail. I could probably nibble a little off the corner of the fork but it would still be really close and there would still be no way to mount the slave that low. Looks like I will be modifying the QT bellhousing unless anyone else has a better solution.
Attached Images

Old 04-22-2013, 01:45 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4772 old iron FE
Not Ranked     

I have a feeling this might clear the frame in a CSX car ;-)

Last edited by mickmate; 04-22-2013 at 02:44 PM.. Reason: Trying to get the image to work
Old 04-22-2013, 07:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Looks awesome Nick.
Old 06-10-2019, 06:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AC cox 2699 roadster Riverside FIA RSR2001
Not Ranked     

With a lakewood use a hydraulic throw out bearing.
Ross
Morris likes this.
Old 06-10-2019, 12:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster
Not Ranked     

I switched from a hydraulic TOB to the external slave from Forte. Classic Roadster with an FE and a Lakewood bell. We modified the fork by cutting it back on the end. Less leverage but it clears and it works well with the same foot pressure as before when I had the internal TOB. Not as clean looking as what your pictures show.

John

Last edited by MaSnaka; 06-10-2019 at 09:39 PM..
Old 06-10-2019, 01:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

After eating two HTOBs I ditched it for the Forte setup. Much more tolerant and servicible.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: