SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Transmission Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-28-2013, 01:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     
Default Shift arm shaft seal leak

One of the shift arm shafts is leaking slightly on my rebuilt Toploader transmission. My main concern is I'm getting a leak and I haven't even driven the car yet - only run it in neutral. At first I thought I might have over-filled the transmission but the fill port is considerably below the shifter shafts so I guess igear lube is getting thrown up on the fork and shaft and dribbling out.

Is there a seal on the shaft that is replaceable without major dissassembly of the transmission? It looks like the shafts screw into the forks so I'm assuming I might have to pull the cover and unscrew the shaft.
Old 04-28-2013, 01:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

I went to Kajun's site and it appears that a simple "O" rign is inserted on the shaft behind the shift arm lever. That probably answers my question - it looks like it installs from inside the case so the shift arm shaft would have to come out. Is that a major issue?

KAJUN ENTERPRISES,TRANSMISSION REPAIR AND MAINTENANCE, WHITNEY, TEXAS

Last edited by DanEC; 04-28-2013 at 01:33 PM..
Old 04-30-2013, 05:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Can anyone tell me if replacement of the shift fork shaft o-rings is possible without complete dissassembly of the transmission?
Old 04-30-2013, 06:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M Cobra Ford FE 427 w/ Webers 48 IDA
Not Ranked     

I'm pretty sure there is no other way but to disassemble the transmission.
I rebuilt my top loader and all the guts have to come out to replace those o rings
Best bet is to watch fluid and make sure you don't run low on fluid
Maybe you do have too much fluid. I have I seen this happen. Wipe it clean and monitor.
Old 05-01-2013, 03:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

You basically have to tear the whole trans down to fix that little o-ring.....it's a pain in the butt.
Old 05-01-2013, 06:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison LS1
Not Ranked     

I've been racking my brain trying to remember --------but I seem to lean toward that I didn't have to do anything but remove the mainshaft assy far enough to get the forks out and then the shifter arm could be removed----------seems to me the hardest part was working on car while every body else was partying with the girls
Old 05-02-2013, 05:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Clayton View Post
I've been racking my brain trying to remember --------but I seem to lean toward that I didn't have to do anything but remove the mainshaft assy far enough to get the forks out and then the shifter arm could be removed----------seems to me the hardest part was working on car while every body else was partying with the girls
I suspect this is right - the main cluster has to come out. It's a minor occassional drip right now. Think I'll live with it until I can drive it and make sure there isn't something else in the transmission after the rebuild that needs further attention.

Does anyone recall what Ford specified for topping off the fluid in these? I filled it up to the the bottom of the fill hole. Possibly I should have left it down about a 1/2 inch.

Thanks.

Last edited by DanEC; 05-02-2013 at 05:18 AM..
Old 05-02-2013, 06:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #766, FE V8, Toploader
Not Ranked     

The bottom of the fill hole is correct--no problems thus far with my toploader after 500+ miles. Hope it stays that way, and I hope that your problem proves to be temporary.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

You can maybe remove the arm on the outside and put a piece of leather (cut from an old boot) over/around shaft/arm to act as a seal--might take more than one thickness to take up the space----------
Old 05-06-2013, 05:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I hadn't thought about leather - interesting idea. May try that.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

Quote:
"seems to me the hardest part was working on car while every body else was partying with the girls"
Yep....THAT would do it

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way
Old 05-06-2013, 07:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Dan-if the old shoe leather thing works for you maybe we can get them to start making wheel bearing seals out of leather!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!or is that cruelty to animals?????????

And of course another way is to take a piece of small diameter rope and work it around the shaft behind the lever-------oh, a rope seal, what a novel idea------------( I suggest maybe a leather shoe/boot lace)