SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Transmission Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-20-2015, 04:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Power Performance, 64 427FE Top Oiler
Not Ranked     
Default Toploader Drive Shaft Yoke

I just got a drive shaft yoke for my toploader. when I slid it over the TL output shaft I have approximately 2 5/8" from my TL tail shaft to the actual yoke. This seems long to me. I also have the same amount of yoke tube till it reaches the start of the splines. should this excess be cut off and the yoke tube shortened? See attached Pics.
Attached Images

Old 01-20-2015, 06:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison 427SC 302 smallblock. 431 stroker in the works, tremec 3550
Not Ranked     

The space without splines in the yoke is for a spline seal. It is a rubber seal that slips over the tailshaft and rides inside the yoke. The only reference I have for that seal is in a C6 automatic transmission. The C6 had 31 splines. That open part of the yoke should not interfere with the yoke sliding into the transmission. Is the yoke engaging the splines? The toploader transmission had two different splines. The small bearing transmission had 28 splines while the big bearing had 31 splines. David Kee lists three yokes for the toploader. A 28 spline X 1310 slip yoke (#28-1310), a 28 spline X 1330 slip yoke (#28-1330) and a 31 spline X 1330 slip yoke (#31-1330). The 1310 and 1330 numbers refer to the size of the u-joint. I would double check to make sure the splines match. I know a yoke for a C-4 will work in a small bearing toploader. The yoke I used with my toploader came from a Granada with a C4 transmission.
Old 01-21-2015, 07:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Tom,

Thanks for your reply. The splines on the TL match up with the splines on my yoke. I can turn the yoke and see my input shaft at the clutch turning. I just thought the yoke looked a bit long. By shortening the yoke tube I would also catch more of the splines on the output shaft? Wondering if cutting down the yoke shaft is fairly common among other builders?

Thanks,

Mike
Old 01-21-2015, 07:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, 427
Not Ranked     

Make sure the yoke goes all the way through the tail housing bushing...

That sure seems like it isn't going in far enough. Our drive shafts are almost buried.

David
"Fear is the thief of dreams."
Old 01-22-2015, 05:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison 427SC 302 smallblock. 431 stroker in the works, tremec 3550
Not Ranked     

I suppose you can shorten your yoke. It's worth a try. Be sure to chamfer the edge again, like in your second photo, to keep from tearing up the seal.

Also, you can see in your first photo where the yoke was riding in the tailshaft. It looks to me that the seal was riding at the 3/4" mark on your ruler and from the 1" to 2-1/8" marks is where the yoke was riding in the bushing.

http://www.summitracing.com/compare

Here are two yokes from Ford Racing, listed at Summit. The measurements for the total length of the yokes are included. I still think, for the money, it would be best to get a new yoke.
Old 01-22-2015, 05:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: N.A.F., 351 cleveland, 9" ford
Not Ranked     

Mike,
How far does the trans output shaft stick out past the trans extension housing? Will the slip yoke push all the way into the trans or does it bottom out at the 2 5/8" as shown in the photo?

Paul
Old 01-22-2015, 06:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KIRKHAM 427 S/C, SHELBY 427 ALUM. STROKER
Not Ranked     

That's just not right! If the splines match and it's the right size for the output shaft, maybe there's something inside the yoke preventing it from sliding in all the way ?(nick, burr, rust,???) Get another yoke and try it.
Old 01-22-2015, 05:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Mike,
How far does the trans output shaft stick out past the trans extension housing? Will the slip yoke push all the way into the trans or does it bottom out at the 2 5/8" as shown in the photo?

Paul

Paul,

See the new attached pics. The slip yoke is bottomed out as shown in the photo.
Attached Images

Old 01-22-2015, 05:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Motorhead, David,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I was expecting the yoke to bury itself all the way into the tailshaft as well. The inside of the yoke has no burs or rust but it looks like the splines inside the tube may be twisted slightly. Its so slight that I'm not sure if its an optical illusion due to the shape of the tube. I think I'll try another yoke.
Attached Images

Old 01-22-2015, 11:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: N.A.F., 351 cleveland, 9" ford
Not Ranked     

Mike,

Agree, with yoke sticking out that far being bottomed out there must be a problem. Would try another yoke.

Paul
Old 01-23-2015, 03:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Mike,

it is common, if you move from a C4 Auto to a manual T5, to shorten the yoke. Means to cut the unsplined area.

In Mustangs it is necessary to do this. Otherwise you can damage the T5. In Cobras with fixed diff it is different.

Frank
Old 01-23-2015, 05:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: PPMC Body on a modified Midstates chassis, weber fed 408
Not Ranked     

My car is sitting on jack stands, I will measure how far the yoke sticks out and check for a P/N on it. I am sure its not sticking out that far. I'll be pulling the toploader in a couple days so I can get an overall length of the yoke