SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Transmission Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-01-2015, 11:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 67 427 cobra SB
Not Ranked     
Default TKO-600 .64 to .82 Fifth Gear Swap

I located the main shaft and fifth gear to change my .64 to a .82 ratio, something I have long wanted to do.

I have a 5.0 block 347 with a TKO 600 and what looks to be a factory style aluminum bell housing. Somewhere in my cloudy head, I think I am remembering that there are different length shafts. Maybe for BB and SB they were different.

Can any tell me what to check to make sure these parts will fit?
Old 02-01-2015, 11:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

The difference in shaft length is from going from a Toploader bellhousing to a TKO bellhousing.

If you have an aluminum TKO bell, you need the long shaft, should be close to 7" long.
Old 02-01-2015, 01:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

So does this mean there are only two length shafts for a Ford? If so I could use either, if I was willing to change the bell? Depending on the length difference, I expect the drive shaft would need to be longer.

Reason I ask is I have always felt a little naked with the aluminum bell, and I never abuse the clutch. A steel grenade resistant bell has crossed my mind a time or two.
Old 02-01-2015, 01:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

That is correct, two lengths. QuickTime bells are available for either and if you change to a short shaft and bell, the shaft will need lengthened.
Old 02-01-2015, 01:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2004 Kirkham 427 S/C, Shelby 496C.I.
Not Ranked     

The Input shafts are different lengths. The output shaft for changing from .64 to .82 5th gear are the same length. I just completed this changeover on my TKO 600. I also added the carbon fiber lined blocker rings and shift rail improvement kit to alleveiate the notchy shift feel. Car isn't complete yet to drive it but should be just what I'm looking for.
Old 02-01-2015, 02:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, Survival Motorsports aluminum FE 482
Not Ranked     

While you have it apart did you consider a shift kit. Liberty in MI sells them.
Old 02-02-2015, 03:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroit Bill View Post
While you have it apart did you consider a shift kit. Liberty in MI sells them.
I have read a couple threads on it, and yes I am giving it some thought. To be honest I do not try to shift supper fast. I had enough of beating cars up, when I was young. I have had it refuse to go into third a couple times, when it was above 6K rpm, but since I didn't have my mind set on a tenth of a second shift, I was able to ovoid bouncing the engine off the rev limiter. Also I try to shift before 6K, even though, it does get by there so fast I fail sometimes. So in short, I may not need it, but it sure would be nice.
Old 02-02-2015, 03:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by blykins View Post
That is correct, two lengths. QuickTime bells are available for either and if you change to a short shaft and bell, the shaft will need lengthened.
Well I do not know which shaft length this one is yet, so all this may be a moot point.

I was kind of hoping the drive shaft would do, but doubted it. Then I found out the difference is 1.2". So much for wishing.

It would move the shifter forward about 1.2" too. I think this transmission can have the shifter mounted several places, but I don't know the spacing difference in those positions. Is that just a "how you assemble it" change or does it require different parts?

I guess what I'm trying to figure out is: if it is the opposite shaft length from what I have, would it be cheaper to buy new parts than changing everything.

PS
I would consider going to a shorter shaft, but I would not go to a longer shaft. I wouldn't shorten the drive shaft, any, but longer would be nice.

Last edited by olddog; 02-02-2015 at 03:32 PM..
Old 02-03-2015, 03:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

You can only have one input shaft length if you're using it with an aluminum bellhousing. It would be the standard 7"-ish long input shaft.

The shifter positions basically boil down to this:

*The rear socket position (standard shifter position) can be used as is, or you can flip the shifter around 180°
*The middle socket requires a new shifter.
*The front socket requires a new shifter.

All-in-all, if you're not having any issues with your driveshaft or u-joint stir, then I would just put it back together the way it is and snag an RM-6060 to keep your feet intact.
Old 02-07-2015, 02:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yes I confirmed my bellhousing is ~7". The main shaft and 5th gear I had found was from a person I know and trust, but it is the short ~6" shaft. The price is right, but all the changes needed probably is not worth it. Kinda a small quandary.

I have a hydraulic through out bearing - I expect that would have to be changed. I would prefer an external slave cylinder set up, but this works.

I had this drive shaft built and balanced maybe 5K miles ago. That would need replaced.

I would be forced into changing the bellhousing - a good thing but not necessary if I stay with the longer shaft.

I'm sure with some work, I can figure a way to let the shifter move forward.

So I need to ask, what would a new long shaft 0.82 ratio main shaft and 5th gear cost new?
Old 02-07-2015, 03:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX3117 427FE
Not Ranked     

If you think the main shaft is around 6" long, you're not looking at the main shaft; you're looking at the input shaft.

As Racer_X said earlier, there is no difference in length between the 0.82 and the 0.64 main shafts. You can therefore complete the ratio swap without changing out the input shaft, bellhousing or driveshaft.

If you then choose to change bellhousing etc, that's up to you, but if your friend has the MAIN shaft and gear you might be making things more complex than they need to be.

Here's a main shaft and gear for sale in the classifieds section for an image of the parts.
PhotoPost Classifieds - .82 main shaft and 5 th gear - Powered by PhotoPost Classifieds
Old 02-07-2015, 09:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Excuse me if I mixed terms and confused things. On the TKO-600 the input shaft runs pretty much the length of the transmission and it includes the gear that mates up to 5th gear. So to change the fifth gear ratio you have to change out the shaft. I'm not sure if it should be called the main shaft, the input shaft, or some other name.

There are two different length shafts available for Fords.
Old 02-07-2015, 10:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: N.A.F., 351 cleveland, 9" ford
Not Ranked     

olddog,
Input, main shaft-output shaft terminology the same on all transmissions. The input shaft being the one at the front of the trans, which inputs the trans, the shorter of the two. The main-output shaft being the one with all the gears on it and out puts the power. Then the counter gear-shaft in the bottom of the trans turns all those gears into ratios. Hope this helps you solve this.

Paul...