SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Transmission Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 07-20-2019, 11:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Throwout bearing question?

Hello guys!
I need to know, what kind of throwout bearing do I have!
I searched the internet, but I couldn‘t find exactly the right one, that looks like mine! I would like to get more informations how it should work, because I think it works not right! I also can‘t see a bolt to hold the bearing in place while the bearing itself spins! The car has a Roush402R engine with a tremec tko600!
I try to upload a picture!

Thanks for help
Attached Images

Old 07-21-2019, 12:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

Looks like it might be A Tilton 6000 HTOB. Click here for Tilton's page on their HTOB => Tilton 6000

Ed

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.
Old 07-21-2019, 12:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The tilton has a screw that will hold it in place, so it will not rotate! I don‘t have that on mine!
Old 07-21-2019, 03:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

My McLeod HTOB does not have a screw and rotates on the shaft, it looks similar to mine but not exact, but mine is newer and is for a Toploader as well. That would be my guess.

Jim
Old 07-21-2019, 11:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

In general a HTOB, if not restrained, will try to rotate as hydraulic pressure is applied. If your hydraulic lines are strong enough they will restrain it. If not ... well you can figure that ending out pretty easily. McLeod offers three general types of HTOBs. One is similar to an OEM style and the other two, while similar, use different techniques to restrain the HTOB from rotating. One uses a sleeve with a tapered entry that uses friction to secure the assembly when it is pushed onto the transmission input shaft. the other uses a more traditional type of rotation restraint. Most HTOB's that that I have seen which live in the bell housing use a mechanical stop to prevent rotation.

By and large I would be reluctant to use hydraulic lines to restrain a HTOB from rotating on the input shaft candle stick. All manufacturers I have seen use some type of mechanical stop other than the hydraulic lines. If your HTOB truly has none it is possible that it / they may have been broken off. If that is true then you might need to obtain some service parts and that brings us back to who manufactured the HTOB if you are going to correct the problem.

Ed

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.

Last edited by eschaider; 07-21-2019 at 11:33 PM.. Reason: Spelling & Grammar
Old 07-22-2019, 04:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I have a McLeod 1400 Series "Bolt On" HTOB. McLeod makes two variants.
Slip on and bolt on. Selection is determined by the overall measurement
from the rear face of your bellhousing to the top of the release fingers on
the pressure plate. Less then 3"= 1300 Series Bolt On, more then 3"=1400 Series Slip On.

My McLeod Bolt On HTOB is rebuildable with a simple kit available from McLeod.
Have had several issue free years with the unit, but if/when the day comes
it leaks, I have a rebuild kit on hand for same day resolution of the problem.

Last edited by Unique427; 07-22-2019 at 04:28 AM..
Old 07-22-2019, 07:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett Morrision FE 427 so 2-4s
Not Ranked     

I have a 12" McLeod clutch and pressure plate 1 3/8 input shaft the top loader trans. throw out system is the old fork lever type. External hydraulic slave cylinder. I originally had a Tilton clutch master cylinder 7/8" dia. it was just marginal. Either I could have either full clutch release or free travel but not both, and I let the adjustment get away from me and disaster followed. The old throw out bearing seized and ground the finger adjustment tips in the pressure plate. So McLeod repaired the pressure plater and cut the aluminum flywheel for the larger 12" steel heat shield (clutch surface). and bought a new McLeod 12" -1 3/8" clutch disk. Then I tried !5/16" diameter master cylinder, that gave me more slave cylinder travel for both free travel and full clutch release. Then later the free travel kept going away. That ended up being The original external slave cylinder was internally pitting and not fully returning with any farther than the pressure plate pushed the bearing back but the cylinder wasn't returning any more with just the lighter slave cylinders return spring and the bearing was still in constant contact with the pressure plate fingers. So I bought a new hydraulic external slave cylinder at a local clutch and brake shop. The new cylinder was all bright and shinny with a new rubber billows. I made a new adjustable push rod more adjustment and hex shoulders to grip-- wrenches not pliers. I ended up with a Tilton 1" dia. master cylinder for the clutch lots of movement but a little more foot pressure, shoes needed. I believe you may be talking about another clutch throw out system.
Old 07-22-2019, 05:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: jbl
Not Ranked     

Mcleod. Uses rings on the retainer to adjust. The movement is only about .4something so it can't be too far out of adjustment. If the pedal comes to an abrupt and hard stop and the clutch is still not releasing either your pedal needs adjustment or the bearing is limiting movement, in that case do not use the Hulk leg. Adjust. If your clutch is slipping, adjust. It appears yours has one large spacer and a short one. Mine used multiple shorter ones.

Don't think they make them anymore.

Last edited by vector1; 07-22-2019 at 05:53 PM..

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: