SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Transmission Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-11-2004, 07:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Aluminum Toploaders

We are considering manufacturing an aluminum maincase and tailhousing as an option for our new Toploaders. Just curious to see if there would be any serious interest in this.

David Kee
http://www.davidkeetoploaders.com
Old 01-11-2004, 07:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP329 w/KC489 Shelby
Not Ranked     

David,

That would depend on how much weight you would save and how much of a premium you pay for the weight reduction. Can you give us some idea of the percentage change involved?
Old 01-11-2004, 07:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4000, 427
Not Ranked     

What are your estimated prices and weights for both the iron case and aluminum case trannys?
"After jumping into an early lead, Miles pitted for no reason. He let the entire field go by before re-entering the race. The crowd was jumping up and down as he stunned the Chevrolet drivers by easily passing the entire field to finish second behind MacDonald's other team Cobra. The Corvette people were completely demoralized."
Old 01-11-2004, 07:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX Cars
Not Ranked     

David,

We would be interested, for our SAI 289 FIA. We would like to know price and avail.

Allan
Old 01-11-2004, 07:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

David,I think its a great idea,but I agree it always comea down to the numbers
Old 01-11-2004, 08:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CAV GT40 with 331 KC
Not Ranked     

I am interested - how much and when? Do the internals transfer?
Old 01-11-2004, 09:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Pat you just want one you can polish don't you?
Old 01-11-2004, 09:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Assolutely!

How about this -- David, how much extra to get one already polished? Also - how much of a weight saving do you anticipate?

(See, I'm learning!)
Old 01-12-2004, 06:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Our nodular iron case and tailhousing are $275 each right now if purchased seperately. The price on the aluminum parts should not be much more than that. I am guessing the weight lost would be approx. 20 pounds. I don't know if you could get me to polish one but it should be fairly easy if the castings come out as good as the nodular iron pieces.
Old 01-12-2004, 06:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

David -

At that price (or even reasonably close) consider me a customer for one.

When would you know if I could get you to have one polished?

When is availablity?

Thanks,

Pat
Old 01-13-2004, 11:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #259
Not Ranked     

David

I'll be in the market for a Top Loader sometime in May... depending on when the car gets done.

Will the cases be thicker.... if not will that affect the strength of the Top loader.....500+ HP.....

FYI.... On Harley's if we polish the cases .... the motor runs hotter.... it seems that the rough surface is actually more surface area for cooling....I'm sure on a street car it's no big deal.... however.... just a thought to mention....

I like the polish finish as well.... and would want is as well.

Might as well look good as be strong and light....
Old 01-13-2004, 12:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

There were a few aluminum cases made by Alcoa for the Ford Race cars that appeared to be cast in the same dimensions as the iron cases. We would thicken some of the areas on the case but some areas can not be changed.
You are correct in that the pourous surface will run cooler. We are planning a billet aluminum top cover with cooling fins on the outside as well as the inside to cool oil as it is splashed up.
Old 01-13-2004, 01:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Classic CCX 3970: 1965 427 Cobra S/C, Shelby aluminum 427 CSX 290 (468 cu in) engine
Not Ranked     

David: I am running with a freshly rebuilt 31-spline toploader. As I opted for an aluminum engine, I am interested in saving weight, but how much weight would I save with your case? And even more importantly, how strong will it be? My sideoiler puts out 560 HP and 532 FT LBS of torque. Presumimg all the parts are interchangeable, about how much would the new case cost? Thanks, Rich.
Old 01-13-2004, 07:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4000, 427
Not Ranked     

Dave,

assuming you will producing an aluminum case,

What do you think the price of a new or rebuilt toploader utilizing the aluminum case will be?

When do you think the aluminum case will be produced?

Thanks.
"After jumping into an early lead, Miles pitted for no reason. He let the entire field go by before re-entering the race. The crowd was jumping up and down as he stunned the Chevrolet drivers by easily passing the entire field to finish second behind MacDonald's other team Cobra. The Corvette people were completely demoralized."
Old 01-14-2004, 02:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: UK Ram SC. KC-Yates 373, Jerico 5 speed.
Not Ranked     
Default Alloy TL

David,

I mentioned to you recently about GFT5 transmissions and there were posts on the questionable torque loading capabilities of the transmission over 500ftIbs.
A Cobra replica, for racing here in NZ would require original style gearboxes and amount of forward gears. Going Toploader would be cheaper than a GFT5, stronger, more period and acceptable. The downside over a five speed is changing rear end ratios, and not so smooth shifting.

You mentioning looking into making alloy case and tailhousing plus finned top lid, this would interest me greatly as I am looking at a Dart alloy block to go 347 or a bit more cubes.

The 1960's rocked!
Old 01-14-2004, 06:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

Ant....I have a Toploader in my Shell Valley that I built. I haven't bought the shifter and linkage yet, but I've heard that with a Hurst shifter, you can't beat a Toploader in the shifting department. I can't wait to find out.
Old 01-14-2004, 12:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Aluminium Toploaders

Blykins,
Are the Hurst shifters better than the Ford?
I would want it to still have the original looking gear lever and knob!

The 1960's rocked!
Old 01-14-2004, 12:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

The Hurst shifters are a lot better than the stock shifters. You can have your cake and eat it too though....David Kee offers a 427 or 289 shifter kit....which includes a Hurst competition shifter, the rods and linkages, the correct mounting plate for whatever tailhousing you have, the correct shifter handle, the knob, trim ring, and shifter boot. I haven't seen one in person, but the pictures on the website look great. I'll be buying one for my car.
Old 01-20-2004, 09:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

It looks like we may actually loose more like 30# compared to the iron cases. All of the original and our replacement toploader parts will interchange with each other, including the cases.

The first samples are being produced right now. If everything works out I am guessing 4-6 months before I have pallets of them to use and sell.

It looks like we will be moving forward with the 2.87 first gear for the wide ratio boxes. This ratio should allow using less gear in the rear and still provide good low end performance without going to a 5 speed.
Old 01-21-2004, 01:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Alloy toploader

David,

I would be very interested in an alloy unit with lower first 2.87 gear!
If these Hurst shifters are a lot better than original linkages etc thats another bonus. I dont mind swapping rear ends occasionally, but at this stage I have 3.27 and 3.08, but might invest in a 3.55 ratio. We have a track here that has is mostly sprinting between corners with a 155mph straightaway.

I have raced with 31spline Nascar toploader, we replaced the bearings syncros etc, it was in brilliant hardly used order, shifted okay with Mustang shifter, turned it around rechromed, you couldn't tell the difference between that and an original 427 style shifter, sold the car and 12years later the trans is still good getting a good workout! There aint much wrong with a TL eh!

I am happy to wait six or twelve months to see what you come up with!

The 1960's rocked!