SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Transmission Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-23-2004, 05:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Will a T5 from a 99-01 V6 Mustang fit a 90 302 engine?

Will the T5 from a 99-2001 V6 Mustang bolt up to a 1990 Mustang 302 with stock flywheel, clutch, bellhousing, etc..?

The person selling it says the only change it needs to fit is a different input shaft on the transmission. Is this correct? Is this the only thing I have to change?

Also this trans has an electronic speedo output can connect any brand electronic speedo to this output?

Thanks!!
Old 02-23-2004, 06:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #101, 342 stroker
Not Ranked     

I believe the seller is correct. I am in the process of doing just that. The input shaft needs to be about .675" shorter. The part will be around $100 and includes 4th gear on the shaft. You must know the gear set it has to get the correct part. As for the speedo, it should work with all electronic units (I think). If you need a mechanical speedo, then the tailhousing will need to be changed also and the output shaft will need a small hole drilled into it for the speedo gear retainer. CC member Trannyman Jeff in TX has the info and parts and can correctly answer all your questions. He also sells T5's for $700. Check his thread in parts for sale forum. "$700 T5 transmissions for sale". He lists his phone number in that thread.
Old 02-23-2004, 08:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

tfarhood,

Thanks for the reply. I checked out the thread you suggested as well sounds like he might be selling the same trans I am talking about.

I got the info below from moderndriveline.com -- "T5 History". If the info below is correct it sounds like the only difference is the input shaft and the electronic speedo. Can anyone confirm that if I change the input shaft this trans will bolt up to my 90 Mustang 302??

"Today's V-6 Mustangs sports the last of the T-5s. The T-5 behind the 3.8L is a 3.35 first gear set with a .68 over drive. What makes these different from the rest is the electronic speedometer trigger. No longer is there a mechanical driven cable system. It has the longer input shaft equipped with a steel front bearing retainer and reverse synchro brake assembly. Torque rating is 300ft/lbs."
Old 02-24-2004, 12:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4100-Shelby 75th Anniversary Edition
Send a message via AIM to Cobra75
Not Ranked     

You should also check to see if the trans. mount is in the exact same location. The T5 referred to by tfarhood has the rear trans mount in a different location-2" further back than the 302 V-8 T5.
Old 02-24-2004, 02:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Scott,

Thanks for the input. Based on info I have gotten from the seller and some research I have done it seems that the mount on the actual trans itself is in the same place. It is pushed a few inches back because of the 99-01 bellhousing. I think if you use a bellhousing from 87-93 5.0 the mount will end up in the right place.

Anyone else have any more ideas?

Thanks!!!
Old 02-24-2004, 03:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #101, 342 stroker
Not Ranked     

I would double check the rear mount position again. I changed my tailhousing to accomodate the mechanical speedo, and it is different than the electric speedo mount.
Old 02-24-2004, 03:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

tfarhood,

Do you happen to have the ID number for the trans you are working with? The one I'm looking at is 1352-260. Seller claims that it will drop right onto the factory mounts if the 90-91 bellhousing is used. hmmm, now I'm uncertain again

Thanks for your help.
Old 02-24-2004, 05:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: unique 427 302/300hp t/5
Not Ranked     

2 different bellhousing and 2 different trans the difference is input shaft length
Old 02-24-2004, 09:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4100-Shelby 75th Anniversary Edition
Send a message via AIM to Cobra75
Not Ranked     

There are definitely T5s with different Input shaft lengths AND different trans mount locations on the tail shaft housings. These are 2 separate & distinct differences. Of course, the BH will have to be different if the input shaft is longer.