SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Transmission Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-27-2006, 06:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2369; Keith Craft 427FE Alum w/614hp. & 1999 Lotus Esprit V8, 375hp
Not Ranked     
Default TKO 600 Stuck in 2nd Gear for the 3rd time

I have about had it with my TKO600.

Yesterday, 20 miles from home, it stuck in 2nd gear. Had to limp home. Not fun.

The first time it stuck @ 300miles, this forum was a life saver and walked me throught the process of getting it unstuck. Many thanks.

The second time it stuck @ 600miles Keith Craft was actually test driving the car. This proves it is not just me and sloppy shifting. Again we took off the tunnel and unstuck the gears.

Yesterday was the third time @ 900miles. I have her laid up in the garage ready to go through the process all over again.

I contacted Tremec the first time and they walked me through the process as did the forum. They said they would reimburse the labor fees but I did it myself so no charge.

The unit is less than a year old. What is your opinion? Should I ask for a replacement. Do I have bad unit? It is still under warranty. I can do minor repairs such as getting it unstuck. However, I do not have the tools nor skills to pull the engine, dismantle the trans and rebuild it.

What are your thoughts?

Kurt
Old 08-27-2006, 07:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#2189
Not Ranked     

Lets hope our new Tremec guy "Jim" has some thoughts ???
Old 08-27-2006, 08:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4000, 427
Not Ranked     

Step 1 : Send car to KC
Step 2 : Have him remove TKO600
Step 3 : Call David Kee, purchase toploader, send to KC
Step 4 : Have KC install toploader
Step 5 : Bring car home and enjoy.

PS : if you change the tranny, either rebuild it, or replace it, if you have a hydraulic throwout bearing, I'd replace it with a slave cylinder and clutch fork.

PS #2 : I have always heard that is was an advantage to have the tranny shift linkage internal, but I guess it's not in this case
"After jumping into an early lead, Miles pitted for no reason. He let the entire field go by before re-entering the race. The crowd was jumping up and down as he stunned the Chevrolet drivers by easily passing the entire field to finish second behind MacDonald's other team Cobra. The Corvette people were completely demoralized."

Last edited by Anthony; 08-27-2006 at 08:32 AM..
Old 08-27-2006, 06:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SOLD: ERA FIA #2114 with 331
Not Ranked     
Default Do you park your car in gear? I heard on this board

that TKO's don't like to be parked in gear.. It's recommended to park them in neutral.. I haven't started my build yet but I have a TKO 600 sitting in the garage.. waiting for me to wrestle with..
Old 08-28-2006, 04:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Look-a-like cobra POS
Not Ranked     

Had a TKO600 5/rev linkage idler rod break. 150 miles. Alignment pin for those gears were not properly adjusted, hence reverse was never easy to grab. The rod is a cast piece and the lower slide hole does not have a lot of meat around it. That is where it cracked.
Ordered new 600, had it pulled apart and re-shimmed and re-adjusted (just as a precaution). Smooth as butter.
Old 08-28-2006, 05:56 AM
Member of the north
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A Cobra
Not Ranked     

I am about to order a TKO600. After reading this, Ahhh....... Well, maybe.

I can't have my car broken by a trans. It's one thing if I break it, it is another if a part puts it out of commission.

Hmmmm..........................
Old 08-28-2006, 06:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters
Not Ranked     

When you talk with Tremec and they tell you how to "unstick" it, cant they tell you the actual cause and how to fix it perminantly?
________
Old 08-28-2006, 06:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters
Not Ranked     

Did you buy it new or used?
________
Old 08-28-2006, 07:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Guys, I am researching the problem right now with Tremec and my top builder, give me a little time and I will post an answer to the issue.
Kurt, one question, how old is your tranny, and how many miles are on it?

Thanks,
Jimi G.
Old 08-28-2006, 06:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2369; Keith Craft 427FE Alum w/614hp. & 1999 Lotus Esprit V8, 375hp
Not Ranked     

Brand new in January..

It stuck at 300 miles, 600miles and again at 900miles..

Kurt
Old 08-28-2006, 06:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I bought it brand new in December..

Kurt
Old 08-28-2006, 08:09 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 623, 427 S/C Cobra. Ford FE 428 Cobra Jet, Ford Nascar TL 4speed - with a touch of raw; "less is more" theme
Not Ranked     

Kurt,
..just curious, how are you driving it exactly when it sticks, or just before hand; are you power-shifting it at all with that big FE in it?
Old 08-28-2006, 08:31 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A Blue Car
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceberg
I bought it brand new in December..

Kurt
Sounds like a serial sticker!

John
Old 08-29-2006, 06:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

No hard driving at the time it stuck.. Just normal acceleration, if there is such a thing in a Cobra

I spoke to Tremec today and they were very surprised that it happend while moving and not parked. He said one of the parts may be out of spec.

Kurt
Old 08-29-2006, 07:07 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via Yahoo to flyboy1997
Not Ranked     

Trularin.......... I thought You had Your Heart set on a T56, shocked to hear You speak of any less !!!!! Thanks for Your Tips also, I know I will Love the dimmer on the steering rack !

Kurt, I added a Inspection plate to my Lonestar just in case it locked up, I have read of two lock ups so far and 2quick4u broke his OD & Rev @ Tulsa.
Old 08-29-2006, 07:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lonestar LS 427, Keith Craft 501,Toploader
Not Ranked     

Did you dial in your bell housing? If you have a Lakewood or something simular and it was just bolted on, it will more than likely be wrong and that could be binding you up.
Old 09-01-2006, 07:52 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     
Default Deafening Silence on the Stuck-in-Gear Problem

Why can't we get a definitive "on the record" response from Tremec on the stuck-in-gear problem? I'm coming down to the wire on the transmission choice for my ERA and I'm about to bail out on Tremec in favor of a top loader solely over this issue.
Old 09-01-2006, 07:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#2189
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt
Why can't we get a definitive "on the record" response from Tremec on the stuck-in-gear problem? I'm coming down to the wire on the transmission choice for my ERA and I'm about to bail out on Tremec in favor of a top loader solely over this issue.
My thoughts exactly......
Old 09-01-2006, 08:04 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 623, 427 S/C Cobra. Ford FE 428 Cobra Jet, Ford Nascar TL 4speed - with a touch of raw; "less is more" theme
Not Ranked     

patrickt,
For two years I've been struggling myself with the idea about letting go of my smooth shifting trusty old Toploader in favor of a 5spd/TKO600. On the fence as well... keep on it, and if you can get something out of them, please let us know if anything changes. I sort of thought they had this stuff all dialed in now... but maybe not. Who knows... keep posting.
Old 09-01-2006, 09:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Guys I just got off the phone with Jeff at Tremec, and he is taking care of this matter. As soon as Kurt gets back from vacation he will be pulling the unit and sending it to us at Standard Transmission and Gear, one of the only authorized repair center for Tremec trans. in the nation, and we will tear it down and determine the problem inside his particular transmission. We have never ran into this particular problem before, so we all want to find out what is going on with his unit. I hope this doesn't scare any of you off from purchasing a TKO, because I think it is the best tranny on the market. I am personally going to install it into a project I am working on right now. I'm not just saying this because I sell this particular tranny, before I ever went to work here I researched other trannies like the Richmond brand and they all seemed inferior to the TKO. With the TKO's wider gear ratio pattern and the options in 5th gear it is just more streetable than the Richmond or the top loader. Along with its abilities on the track or strip, nothing seemed better for my application.
Thanks for your time,
Jimi G.

Last edited by Jimi G; 11-02-2006 at 07:30 AM..