SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Transmission Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-23-2006, 08:09 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 623, 427 S/C Cobra. Ford FE 428 Cobra Jet, Ford Nascar TL 4speed - with a touch of raw; "less is more" theme
Not Ranked     

Sure would be nice to hear from someone with a recently-new TKO 600 (2006 purchase) behind a hefty big block car, who drives it often and a bit more agressively. i.e. with 500+HP and 500+ft lb. of torque (real dyno'd horsepower).
Old 10-23-2006, 09:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett Morrison 460
Not Ranked     

I just installed the TKO 600 behind a Spec II clutch and a 460 Super CobraJet in my Everette Morrison. Should be about 550 HP and 545 ft lb torque. I'm still 2 months out from finish, but will gladly post an accurate review and keep the thread alive. (I brought up the concerns listed above to the guys at Keisler Engineering where I purchased the TKO. They said this problem sometimes occurs when a gear change is "forced" instead of allowing the tranny to "take" the shift and that all gear changes should be with minimal effort.)
Old 10-23-2006, 05:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP329 w/KC489 Shelby
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Sure would be nice to hear from someone with a recently-new TKO 600 (2006 purchase) behind a hefty big block car, who drives it often and a bit more agressively. i.e. with 500+HP and 500+ft lb. of torque (real dyno'd horsepower).
Mine is a early 2005 with a little over 5000 miles on it and no problems. 3.23 rear gives the perfect ratios w/ a .82 OD.

Last edited by The Dreamer; 10-23-2006 at 05:27 PM..
Old 11-01-2006, 11:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Just 2 days ago I had the same thing happen to me, and now my Tremec-TKO600 is stuck in fourth gear. It is a new transmission that I bought in March that has 150 miles on it. I just emailed Tremec about it. I read about a temporary solution to this in the forum but I want a permanent solution, I don't want to open up my transmission every 100 to 300 miles. Jimi, let me know what I should do, maybe there is something I could do without having to send you my transmission like Kurt. Thank you.

Last edited by beatleme; 11-02-2006 at 12:07 AM..
Old 11-02-2006, 04:33 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt
Why can't we get a definitive "on the record" response from Tremec on the stuck-in-gear problem? I'm coming down to the wire on the transmission choice for my ERA and I'm about to bail out on Tremec in favor of a top loader solely over this issue.
I wrote the above post two months ago and have since "given up" on getting a real reply. Personally, I don't believe Tremec will ever address this issue on the record. They either have to blame this problem on an incredible coincidence, incorrect installation, or "user error." Absent that, if they disclose a real problem then they are put in the position of either announcing a recall (and paying for shipment, removal/replacement, etc.), or doing nothing and risking a class-action suit. I think the folks on this board are probably too savvy for the first option, and the other two options are not particularly palatable.
Old 11-02-2006, 04:39 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX 4995, Keith Craft built 427 SO
Send a message via MSN to 427SnakeSC Send a message via Yahoo to 427SnakeSC
Not Ranked     

Sounds like an epidemic! Glad I am going for a toploader!
"The 427 Cobra is easily the highest performance car ever sold for street use. A decent 427 - not the worst, not the best, will go from zero to 100 mph and back down again to zero in less than 14 seconds. All thing considered, you can put together a pretty good argument that the 427 Cobra is the ultimate performance car, judged on any basis you want to name." Taken from; Corvette, The Sensuous American
Old 11-04-2006, 07:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #455, KC427W, TWM-FI
Not Ranked     

Jimi,
What's the deal did you open it up and find the problem? I can't believe the tranny has not been fixed with the few months that has gone by.
Old 11-06-2006, 07:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

We still have not received the transmission as of yet. jimig@standardtransmission.com
Old 11-06-2006, 04:20 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via Yahoo to flyboy1997
Not Ranked     

Jimi , ALOT of people are waiting on a ANSWER........ 2quik4u with a big block & street F-1"'s on the track hit 3rd @ Tulsa ( 1st round) & lost Rev & O.D. he thought he lost 3rd but went thru the gears on return ramp & was fine other than O/D & Rev.. I decided to add a inspection plate on my build ( LS427) just n case after talking with Kurt at a car show n Hot Springs. NOBODY wants a Trans that breaks but we Dang sure don't want a trans that will leave us stranded just taking our wifes out on a date!!!!!! Did we make a mistake buying it or did You Guys make a mistake Selling it? Mine came from Your Shop also but not on the road yet.
Old 11-06-2006, 06:19 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 623, 427 S/C Cobra. Ford FE 428 Cobra Jet, Ford Nascar TL 4speed - with a touch of raw; "less is more" theme
Not Ranked     
Default Why is it called a TKO?

TKO: A technical knockout is often declared when the referee or other judges decide that a fighter cannot continue the match; British records refer to TKOs as either "retired", or Stopped.

Maybe they are not responding as a result of the TKO.
Old 11-13-2006, 03:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2369; Keith Craft 427FE Alum w/614hp. & 1999 Lotus Esprit V8, 375hp
Not Ranked     

All:

Sorry for my long absence in regards to this matter. My transmission issue has taken a temporary back seat in my life. I have been in Europe for several months on business and will be relocating to Winchester, Virginia this coming spring. The commute from Winchester to Hot Springs has been hell. The good news is that Summit Point race track is right down the road.

I see that the thread is alive and well and I still have not rectified my problem. Jim, I will send you and e-mail and try calling you this instant.

Best regards to all and I am glad to be back in the game.

Kurt