SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Transmission Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-23-2008, 05:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique
Not Ranked     
Default Tilton Throwout Bearing mated to McCleod Clutch

Well, finally determined my McCleod Throw-Out Bearing is junk (leaks).

I am trying to replace with a Tilton Bearing however the measurement is not quite right in terms of mating to the Clutch Fingers. I currently have a McCleod Clutch set-up...

Anyone ever try doing this? Using Shims? Any help or direction is greatly appreciated.... Pictures if possible..

Trying to avoid going the slave cylinder route...

Thanks,
Old 10-23-2008, 07:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #298 427 FI
Not Ranked     

I cant help with specifics but I have a tilton throw out with a mcleod clutch. Sorry I cant offer more specifics but it should work.
Old 10-23-2008, 07:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hey Rosco, I have 3000, miles on my hyd throw out bearing, its a mcleod, how many miles did you get out of yours, Mine so far knock on wood is fine. Robert
Old 10-24-2008, 05:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratsnst1 View Post
Hey Rosco, I have 3000, miles on my hyd throw out bearing, its a mcleod, how many miles did you get out of yours, Mine so far knock on wood is fine. Robert
Actually, shortly after receiving car - leak. I intially thought the transmission however it was the bearing all along...

I have 1500 miles on my car! Hard to believe I have to go through this $hit...

It is certainly frustrating

Maybe us McCleod Bearing owners can get a Gov't bail out package as well..
Old 10-24-2008, 06:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: # 757 ERA 427 SC , 482 Al. big block
Not Ranked     

For what it`s worth , Tilton told me they use a Quad seal on their Hydraulic throwout bearings and from what I could find out , McLeod uses an "O" ring . From my 30 years in the hydraulics industry ( 15 years in the hydraulic cylinder end ) , "O" rings make great static seals , but very poor dynamic seals . "0" rings tend to stick in the bore and then roll slightly when they break free and get pinched between the bore and the piston . I bet if you look at the "O" ring closely , you will see a few "nibbles" out of it . Quad seals are made to seal under movement . " O" rings are cheaper than Quad seals .... but having said that , a lot of people still use them . We never would as the field problems were just too many .
Old 12-27-2008, 09:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hi,
I have sold many McLeod & tilton hyd throw out bearings. The McLeod had a bad failure rate and that was my inspiration to build an external billet slave and fork to eliminate the internal hyd t/o bearing problems.
Below is a link of my external kit on a Quick Time bellhousing.

http://clubhotrod.com/forums/attachm...1&d=1230323556

Mike Forte
fortesparts.com
508 875 0016
In 1993 Mike made the first conversion of a Ford Tremec to GM 5-speed. It bolts to stock bellhousings w/out an adapter. The FE Tremec, the Mustang adjustable quadrant are originals from Mike.
One of 12 Tremec Elite Distributors worldwide for: T-5, T-56 Magnum & TKO-500 & TKO-600 ,Midshifter, Frt shifter, offset Vette shifter.
Est: 1981 selling performance parts to build your dream car...
Old 12-27-2008, 11:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I had lots of trouble with the McCleod throwout and fabricated my own external slave and fork arm for a car that I had the McCleod clutch in.
I have purchased quite a few parts from Mike Forte all with good results. I am using his shifter relocation set up for a T56 trans in my Cobra. It shifts flawlessly.
Hey Mike, can you build me the same set up for the T56 but in a different length. I am building a new car and I was going to get in touch soon to discuss. John
Old 12-27-2008, 12:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: factory five mkIII roadster 445 fe quick fuel 750 q series,irs
Not Ranked     

john wha t did you use for a throw out bearing?, i noticed that the internal throw out bearings for the race clutches uses a rounded edge bearing and a chevy bearing is flat?.
Old 12-27-2008, 02:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

All,

Ended up going with an external slave set-up....

Hopefully an end to the hydraulic mess!

Thanks,

R
Old 12-27-2008, 03:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

Yes Roscoe, an external is the easiest to maintain, if a failure occurs the cup and seal kit is about $7.00 and easy to get to. Because of the induced leverage an external slave only sees about 30% of the effort exerted at the bearing thus carrying much less load.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way

Last edited by Rick Parker; 12-27-2008 at 03:11 PM..
Old 12-27-2008, 03:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A & C, 351W, Tremec 3550. Exiled Member: Club Cranky
Send a message via ICQ to Roscoe
Not Ranked     

This Roscoe has over 25k miles on his Tilton TOB using a Centerforce dual friction clutch.

Roscoe
Old 12-27-2008, 08:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427SC FMS 351W
Not Ranked     
Default Mike, Picture of the billet slave - please

Hey Mike, isa there a picture of this new slave cylinder on your Forte website?
Old 12-28-2008, 05:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I believe that you will be alot happier with the external slave set up.

Wrench 87, I was so fustrated witht the McCleod internal slave and I wasn't able to find an off the shelf replacement for it. So, I fabricated my own. This was in 2001, and on a Chevy small block. I used a stock Chevy HD throw out bearing and ordered a HD clutch arm. I had a Lakewood bellhousing, aluminum flywheel and the McCleod twin disc street clutch. I used a Wilwood pull slave. I used this one, because if I remember rght, it had a longer throw. i had to redo the pivot point on the bellhousing because in the stock location the throw required to engage the clutch was too long which resulted in a bad angle. I drilled a hole through the ball pivot point on the clutch arm to run the slave rod through. I then fabricated a rear mounted bracket for the slave cylinder.
I cant honestly say that I remember what the bearing face on my internal throwout looked like. It may of been different and at the time I didn't know better to look. I did run my system for 8900 miles with out a problem. My solution was not that simple or elegant but it did work.
The final straw that made me replace the system was because of a near catastrophe with the other. I had a 538hp smallblock with the internal throwout in a car that I had built. I had just gone on a test drive and was stopped at an intersection. I had a shift light set to flash at 6000 rpms and hadn't seen it flash yet. So, I ran the motor up to 6k and all of a sudden the clutch fully engaged!!!!!!! I shot across the intersection before I was able to shut it down. Fortunately I missed the crossflow traffic! The seal on the bearing had suddenly and completely let go. And, yes the throw out was properly shimmed and I had a pedal stop on the clutch pedal. John
Old 12-28-2008, 07:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hi Cobra 29,
Here is a picture of the hydraulic conversion on a Quick Time bellhousing. Call me with any questions.

http://clubhotrod.com/forums/attachm...1&d=1230323556
fortesparts.com
508 875 0016
In 1993 Mike made the first conversion of a Ford Tremec to GM 5-speed. It bolts to stock bellhousings w/out an adapter. The FE Tremec, the Mustang adjustable quadrant are originals from Mike.
One of 12 Tremec Elite Distributors worldwide for: T-5, T-56 Magnum & TKO-500 & TKO-600 ,Midshifter, Frt shifter, offset Vette shifter.
Est: 1981 selling performance parts to build your dream car...
Old 12-28-2008, 10:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I used Mikes setup on my Cobra and it worked great. Using it again on the Daytona I'm building.
Old 12-29-2008, 06:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hey, Roscoe, when your bearing was leaking, was alot of fluid or very little, would it drain your master cylinder fast, just so I can keep an eye on mine, thanks Robert
Old 12-29-2008, 07:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: jbl
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrench87 View Post
john wha t did you use for a throw out bearing?, i noticed that the internal throw out bearings for the race clutches uses a rounded edge bearing and a chevy bearing is flat?.
you want to use a rounded face if you are using a small dia. press. plate because the fingers will roll across the bearing when depressed, a flat bearing is good to go on a larger dia. press. plate where the fingers will not roll onto the outside edge or the bearing movement is smaller, or something like that.
Old 12-30-2008, 04:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A & C, 351W, Tremec 3550. Exiled Member: Club Cranky
Send a message via ICQ to Roscoe
Not Ranked     

Roscoe's bearing never leaked.....Rosco's did.....

Roscoe
Old 12-30-2008, 04:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: factory five mkIII roadster 445 fe quick fuel 750 q series,irs
Not Ranked     

does anyone have the application or a part number for a rounded or radiused edge throwout bearing that will fit on a clutch fork?.
Old 12-30-2008, 06:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #373,Shelby FE Alum Block #077, 488 stroker, Tunnel Port, Dual-TMP DP Holleys
Not Ranked     

Does anyone know of a complete external slave system (fully sorted) that will plug and play for a Superformance with a Lakewoood scattershield, mated to a shelby Alum FE and a McCleod street twin clutch. Each Cobra mfg has their own tunnel clearance specs.

Scrapping my internal hyd TO bearing would certainly make my car more reliable for the open road.

Perhaps Olthoff has put together all the pieces in a kit.