SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Transmission Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-12-2009, 08:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Cobra, 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     

Maybe this thread is being taken way too seriously. Seriously.

ARP exaggerates a lot, in my opinion. After all, their job is to scare us into buying their bolts, even when we don't need them. I am leaving my grade 8 bolts right where they are, and I am going to do my damndest to shear them off during my ownership of this car. If I am successful I will report back here.
Old 09-12-2009, 08:54 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmariachi View Post
I am leaving my grade 8 bolts right where they are, and I am going to do my damndest to shear them off during my ownership of this car. If I am successful I will report back here.
Oh yeah? Well I'm going to loosen my bolts a turn or two.
Old 09-13-2009, 05:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Wink That's the stuff!!!!!

elmariachi Jim that's the stuff I like to hear, more work for MEEEEEE. I do hope one thing, That the bellhousing in your car is a good one like Lakewood. If you blow that clutch, I hope it stays in the can and not come visit you in the drivers seat. Rick L.
Old 09-13-2009, 07:36 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICK LAKE View Post
elmariachi Jim that's the stuff I like to hear, more work for MEEEEEE. I do hope one thing, That the bellhousing in your car is a good one like Lakewood. If you blow that clutch, I hope it stays in the can and not come visit you in the drivers seat. Rick L.
They're Grade 8, they just don't have the shoulders on them. C'mon Rick, tell the truth, have you EVER seen pressure plate bolts sheared off? Not from an exploding clutch, but just from the twisting force of the clutch itself. Tell the truth now....
Old 09-13-2009, 01:41 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default I tightened mine this afternoon...

Alright, I tightened my PP Bolts this afternoon and two of them MIGHT, and that's a big MIGHT, have been slightly loose. I can't swear to that because the angle of the universal joint and socket on the bolt wasn't great so I can't say I had a great "bite" on those two bolts and it could have been the socket turning a little bit. I torqued them to 25 ft/lbs. I snapped a quick shot with the BB that shows you the angle on one of them. It's a crap shoot as to the angle you get because I just kept bumping the engine over until I got a bolt in the window, then torqued it, and then made a mark over it with a magic marker. This is not a particularly difficult job; getting the bolts to line up in the window is just luck -- if you turn the engine over by hand it would take you less time, but more energy. Regardless, you should probably check to make sure your bolts aren't loose. One tip -- you can see in the picture that I have some blue painters tape on the end of the extension. That's to make sure the universal joint and sock don't get pulled off and fall in to the bottom of the bell housing. A mistake like that could easily turn a quick afternoon job in to a huge PITA.

Old 09-13-2009, 03:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
It is a Lakewood. Like Pat, I checked mine and they are all right where I left them at 28 ft lbs with Loctite. But if the OP of this thread comes up with a better bolt, please post it up here.
Old 09-14-2009, 03:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Wink Sorry Pat not my cars and trucks

patrickt Sorry pat, not on my own fleet of toys. I have broken about 4-5 discs with either schattering the hub in the center or breaking the springs in the hub housing. My FE motor has the smallest bolts for the PP in any of my stuff. I have repaired the disc once already.
IMO if you are shearing bolts, as you know there are only 3 ways I can think of doing this, ABUSE, abusey, AH CRAP ABUSE. I don't know why your bolts are coming loose but I am running a higher torque than you, I will have to check the numbers but it's like 38-45 ft pounds with the red. I do run a tap through all the holes before installing the bolts. Maybe this makes a differents. I also torque down the pressure plate like a wheel being installed on a car with a star pattern of 180 degrees per bolt. I have stopped with the 5,000 rpm holeshots and blowing the hell out of my equipment. 30 years ago, race parts where cheap along with trannies, rearends and clutches. Today a junk center section of a Jag with an open carrier is $6-800 dollars. No parts but the center. I have been lucky at swap meets and picked up some parts cheap. Major Destructor has retired from his stupid ways.
Pat I have seen alot of breakage and with people who I help and want to listen, I tell all of them to OVER BUILD your car. Bests parts, fasteners, motors, tranny and rearends. If they can't afford them then wait 2 months, put it on plastic, but get the best stuff you can. Maybe this is why the bolts have not sheared. I am not worried, I have a Lakewood. Rick L.
Old 09-14-2009, 03:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Have you looked at running Allen head grade 8 bolts

elmariachi Jim Grade 8 Allen head bolts will work if you don't like 6,8 or 12 point bolts. I use them on my bellhousing to block in my ERA They give you more room to install and remove with a socket or wrench that has been cut down. Pat does have the right ideas about marking bolts and nuts for checking during maintainance look overs. Rick L.
Old 09-14-2009, 06:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
elmariachi Jim Grade 8 Allen head bolts will work if you don't like 6,8 or 12 point bolts. I use them on my bellhousing to block in my ERA They give you more room to install and remove with a socket or wrench that has been cut down. Pat does have the right ideas about marking bolts and nuts for checking during maintainance look overs. Rick L.
When I rechecked them, I tick-marked them with a silver Sharpie. We'll see.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:31 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Pat, I have seen alot of breakage and with people who I help and want to listen, I tell all of them to OVER BUILD your car. Bests parts, fasteners, motors, tranny and rearends.
Alright Mr. Rick, take a look below, this shot does not show the PP bolt, but it does happen to show a big chunk of metal welded on my pretty orange Centerforce Pressure Plate. What do you make of that? I guess it's just a cheap-a$$ blemished one-off with a repaired hole, huh?

Old 09-14-2009, 09:53 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
When I rechecked them, I tick-marked them with a silver Sharpie.
Ahh, I did the same. You can see how careful I was in making the black mark.

Old 09-14-2009, 09:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Question It's a weight to balance the pressure plate

patrickt The picture is a little rough. The metal is a balance weight for the pressure plate. Where are we going???? Rick l. Ps I have 2 on my pressure plate, one is bigger than the other one.
Old 09-14-2009, 10:02 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
patrickt The picture is a little rough. The metal is a balance weight for the pressure plate. Where are we going???? Rick l. Ps I have 2 on my pressure plate, one is bigger than the other one.

Just checking to make sure you were still awake.
Old 09-14-2009, 12:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Just checking to make sure you were still awake.
I am convinced Rick never sleeps, and consumes a LOT of caffeine.
Old 09-14-2009, 12:55 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
I am convinced Rick never sleeps, and consumes a LOT of caffeine.
Yep, and even I tread lightly when I intentionally provoke him.
Old 09-14-2009, 01:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Yep, and even I tread lightly when I intentionally provoke him.
You have to admit, he puts with a lot of sheeit and keeps on offering free advice.
Old 09-14-2009, 01:01 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
You have to admit, he puts with a lot of sheeit and keeps on offering free advice.
That's why we love him so.
Old 09-14-2009, 01:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Maybe we can get him to put it all in a book. He could title it:

"All The Crap I Really Need To Tell You"
by Rick Lake

p.s. This is a great book full of all kinds of really interesting stuff about engines transmissions clutches shocks socks flywheels flyrods gaskets girdles Hi-Tack horse tack lug nuts car nuts temp senders mail senders timing lights Miller Light distributors high strength fasteners bell housings Bell Helicopters driveshafts mine shafts and other life-long experiences of spending all my money to learn things the hard way.

Just gigging ya Rick.

Sorry for the thread hijack.
Old 09-14-2009, 02:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

You guys still going at this?

I hate to see the stuff that you say behind my back......
Old 09-14-2009, 03:01 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by blykins View Post
I hate to see the stuff that you say behind my back......
We say nothing behind backs. Everything is out in the open. After all, it is written in the founding documents of Club Cobra that gratuitous ball-busting is de rigueur.