Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2016, 01:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 796 / ERAFIA 2043
Not Ranked     
Default PA title/registration

I have tried to read all threads on this topic. I'm looking at an ERA currently titled in FLA as a 2013 kit. If I title in PA I'm subject to an enchanced inspection to title as PA special construction. I'm not really worried about that. My concerns are:

-insurance costs on this title versus if an equivalent car was titled as a '66 Ford
-possible deterrent to future buyer when they see non-60s title (long story but I'll likely have to sell in a few years)
-any other surprises others have found having a recent year special construction in PA?
-any possible advantages to this scenario versus a '66 title? Sounds ridiculous but I really want an antique tag, '66 title, no inspections and easier resale.

Much thanks!
Old 12-30-2016, 03:26 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCJ View Post
I have tried to read all threads on this topic. I'm looking at an ERA currently titled in FLA as a 2013 kit. If I title in PA I'm subject to an enchanced inspection to title as PA special construction. I'm not really worried about that. My concerns are:

-insurance costs on this title versus if an equivalent car was titled as a '66 Ford
-possible deterrent to future buyer when they see non-60s title (long story but I'll likely have to sell in a few years)
-any other surprises others have found having a recent year special construction in PA?
-any possible advantages to this scenario versus a '66 title? Sounds ridiculous but I really want an antique tag, '66 title, no inspections and easier resale.

Much thanks!
No difference in insurance costs
PA Enhanced inspection is actually pretty easy to pass, and the car then becomes emissions exempt for as long as it is titled in the state

No, no way to change that title legally once it is in the national database without risk of impound and potential crushing of the car........yes, really.

Follow the rules in PA and you'll have a car you can enjoy for as long as you want.

All the loopholes have been closed, and the DMV office in Harrisburg is not full of stupid people any longer

Enough said
Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 12-30-2016, 03:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Much appreciated. I've really not assessed how many cars (particularly ERA) in the marketplace over the past few years have 60s titles. Has it been increasingly difficult to title any replica as a 60s vehicle?

Also, even if I bought a car from out of state that has a 60s title, is there a legit risk of PA not honoring?

Thanks!
Old 12-31-2016, 06:58 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Much appreciated. I've really not assessed how many cars (particularly ERA) in the marketplace over the past few years have 60s titles. Has it been increasingly difficult to title any replica as a 60s vehicle?

Also, even if I bought a car from out of state that has a 60s title, is there a legit risk of PA not honoring?

Thanks!
If you are buying a previously titled car, you have a 95% chance of PA accepting the title from out of state.

Forget about the "vintage" vs "non vintage" title in PA, the enhanced inspection is actually the way to go.

Also, you might want to add your town name in your profile, as there may be "cobra friendly" local garages and or members in your area that can assist either way you go, yet you'll never know because of your lack of location.

As a perfect example, I was assisting someone on one of the cobra forums several years ago, we had gone back and forth for over 3 weeks assisting him with getting ready for his title process. He was highly concerned with this, and his anxiety level was a 10+. When he finally had reached the point of exploding (his head, not the car), we found out where he lived, and lo and behold, there was another member in the same town, pointed him to the right inspection station and local notary shop, and he was in and out in a few days, had his paperwork completed, his inspection completed, and his car on the road that much faster.

Balls in your court

Bill S.

Old 12-31-2016, 09:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks a lot for all of your input. I also updated my profile. I've been lurking for 15 years so it's about time. Happy New Year!
Old 02-20-2018, 07:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Thanks a lot for all of your input. I also updated my profile. I've been lurking for 15 years so it's about time. Happy New Year!
Interested in how you made out with the car and PA registration... I'm looking at a BDR in Kansas that is also titled as build year and not a 1965. I'm hoping the transfer in is easy, interested what you found.
I'm in Churchville, PA 18966, Bucks County.
Old 02-20-2018, 09:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance. 427 Windsor.
Not Ranked     

Great advice from Mr. Mustang. I also did not really want a special construction title for my Superformance build, but hit one wall after another. Just go with it and be happy, a good car will bring the money. On the plus side, with a SC title you can get a custom plate. I lucked out and got my first choice, GUMBALL.
Old 02-21-2018, 07:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic roadsters ll
Not Ranked     

Good luck I bought a classic roadster ll . I live in North East pa bought the car out of colorado.it was a pain in the rear trying to get it register here. Again good luck
Old 02-21-2018, 07:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #829, Ford 427
Not Ranked     

What issues did you run into trying to title/register it in PA?
Old 02-22-2018, 08:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by brodie View Post
Good luck I bought a classic roadster ll . I live in North East pa bought the car out of colorado.it was a pain in the rear trying to get it register here. Again good luck
What was it titled as already? I'm looking at a 2015 BDR in Kansas that's titled as a 2015 Backdraft RT3 Roadster. I'm hearing a few horror stories that make me nervous about buying any used Cobra from another state unless it's already registered as a 1965 Ford.... I'm interested to hear what you tried when bringing yours into PA and what challenges you had.
thanks,
Chris
Old 02-23-2018, 06:43 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisd0729 View Post
What was it titled as already? I'm looking at a 2015 BDR in Kansas that's titled as a 2015 Backdraft RT3 Roadster. I'm hearing a few horror stories that make me nervous about buying any used Cobra from another state unless it's already registered as a 1965 Ford.... I'm interested to hear what you tried when bringing yours into PA and what challenges you had.
thanks,
Chris
Did they use the BDR supplied VIN, or is it a state issued VIN?
If state issued VIN, it gets titled as whatever the current title states.
If BDR VIN was used, you should be able to retitle in PA using the "Special Construction" process. The key is exactly (IE: 100%) how the current title reads.

Forget about titling as a "196X" in PA, it will not happen without throwing red flags up and you getting a visit by a PA State Trooper doing the investigation for the special titles division in Harrisburg.

Old 02-24-2018, 04:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance. 427 Windsor.
Not Ranked     

I started with a Superformance MSO in PA and tried all kinds of creative ideas. I even talked to a couple of guys out of state who wanted to sell me old titles from various Fords. Didn’t feel good about that process. I tried the PA collectible title route and was shut down. My Father in Law has an enhanced PA inspection license station and I drove him nuts with my ideas. In the end I wish I would have just went with the special construction title in the first place and saved myself time and energy. Its painless.