Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2003, 03:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraftracing, 69-351w stroked to 408 585hp
Not Ranked     
Default Registration/ insurance

Im looking to register my cobra which I would be obtaining sometime during the month of May. For anyone having such an awesome vehicle, living in Jersey, Im would like to know if there is a problem in registering it and insuring it. Thank You
Gami < Vineland ,NJ
Old 12-29-2003, 08:00 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 496 FE side oiler TKO II
Not Ranked     

Gcruz,
Your car (kit, roller, etc) will be titled as the year the kit is completed. NJ will classify the car as "reconstructed". In order to title the car, you will have to submit the car for an engineering inspection. One part of the inspection is locating the pollution control equipment required for the year of the block. So.....if you have a newer block, you will need to show the engineering inspector your cats, sensors, etc. If you have an older block (and can prove it), then the pollution equipment requirements are minimal or nonexistent. Once you pass this inspection, you will be issued a title. Once titled, if you register as a normal vehicle, you will have a pollution excemption for the year of the motor. Or you can register as Collector Car (not historic) and not go through inspection but have a mileage limitation of 3,000 per year.

My SPF titling has been delayed extensively because I did not understand the NJ rules. I am now back on track with a '63 427 FE block. I hope to finish this process by the spring.

Robert
Old 12-31-2003, 07:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters 351 Windsor 405 HP
Not Ranked     

What,if any, pollution controls were on a '74 Ford 351 W?
Old 01-01-2004, 10:57 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 496 FE side oiler TKO II
Not Ranked     

Art,

You can check with the DMV folks. A while back I asked DMV for the pollution equipment requirements for a '69 351W and I was told a PCV valve was all that was needed. That answer took about 2 weeks to get. A few weeks later I asked about a '71 351W and I never could get an answer from DMV. Out of pure frustration, I went with a 60s vintage FE. The place to start asking your questions are with the Special Titles Dept at DMV. More than likely you will speak with a Mr Dittmar who is one of the big wigs. He will probably direct you to one of the special inspection stations for the answer to your question.

You could try a Ford dealer but I don't think they will be much help with a 30 year old specification.

Robert
Old 01-02-2004, 05:09 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Ford emissions here in NJ, through 1976 included only the PVC valve. In 1977, NJ required catalytic converters installed on all gasoline powered engines......Registering your completed car from another state is a simple procedure, as the NJ DMV will treat it like any other out of state transfer. If your purchase is in kit form, you need to contact the special title service division of the NJ MVS, and they will send you a large packet of information. .Depending on how your going to drive the car, NJ now offers what is known as a "limited useage" registration (actually a small triangular inspection sticker) that pretty much eliminates any pollution requirements. You would need collectors type insurance, and not plan to drive the car more than 3,000 miles annually. This inspection looks at the odometer, and that's pretty much it.........Any specific questions, just let us know..................

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 01-16-2004, 10:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for your response. Iwould like to know if and when will there be a meeting ( car show ) in NJ specifically for the Cobras. I live in Vineland ,NJ so We usually have Cruise Down Memory Lane twice a year. The outcome is very large but its sponsered by Chevettes ,I mean Corvettes. Thank You
Old 01-16-2004, 10:48 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

The largest show to draw in Cobras would be the South Jersey Mustang show held at Rice and Holman Ford....Not much in southern, NJ in the way of an all Cobra show....Now, if you don't mind the commute to the Valley Forge area of PA, Steve Klayman (aka:Klayfish) has a decent collection of members in that neck of the woods.......

Sincerely,

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 01-17-2004, 05:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC with 428 PI
Not Ranked     

Art,
Is your car finished yet?
We meet in June (or before) and ride down 202 together to meet everyone at Washington's Crossing.

Mike

It's just easier this way.
Old 01-19-2004, 09:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 351W
Not Ranked     
Default Insurance

I recommend Condon Skelly, they're in Maple Shade.

http://www.condonskelly.com/special.htm

They will need photographs of all four sides, interior, and engine bay.

Good Luck.

Jong
Old 01-22-2004, 04:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for everything. Just curious. My car will be completely done from the factory. Is there any special inspection needed prior to obtaining a title for my car.?
Old 08-13-2009, 03:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Since these posts date back to 2003, how about an update for NJ DMV registering? Looking at getting the Superformance Mark III R with the Roush engine. Any problem registering this in good old NJ?