Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2004, 12:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: None Yet
Not Ranked     
Default Motor or Transmission removel

After the build is complete how hard is it to remove the motor or transmission? Do you remove the body first? Most of the motors don't look like they will fit through the hood opening.
Old 06-10-2004, 04:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR4067, 393W
Not Ranked     

I've had the engine and transmission in and out of my FFR numerous times. I use a hoist that can tilt it way back.

I wouldn't think about removing the tranny in the car, too easy to pop the whole thing out. I do remove the hood, a 5 minute task.

Ed
Old 06-10-2004, 05:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates,SBF 357
Not Ranked     

I have had the transmission out of my midstates and it was easy. Putting it back in was a chore.I recommend renting a transmission jack for that job. Iam getting ready to remove the engine. I have been told to jack the car up, place on jack stands and remove the front tires, and use a cherry picker to remove engine. Removing front tires will give more room to move the cherry picker around during the lift process.By all means use fender covers!!!!!
Old 06-10-2004, 06:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: None Yet
Not Ranked     

How about FE's and 385's?
Old 06-10-2004, 08:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates,SBF 357
Not Ranked     

The only FEs I have worked with were in a full size ford. Can't be much different Just use caution so there is no damage.
Old 06-10-2004, 09:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Daytona Coupe done to replicate CSX-2299 at the '64 LeMans
Not Ranked     

We just removed and installed a big block in an Everett Morrison and had no problems... we put the front of the car on jack stands, removed the front tires, headers, wiring, fuel lines, and hood. Used an engine hoist with an adjustable hook..... it went really smooth.

http://www.rehobothproperties.com/coupe.htm
Old 06-10-2004, 10:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast. 514 / 6 speed Richmond overdrive
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up Re-installing my rebuilt 514 this weekend

It will be easy with the transmission out. A tall hoist is all you need, and a LOT of caution not to damage the body/paint!

It very much helps to have a qualified assistant. In my case it's a professional mechanic buddy of mine. I am more like the assistant in this case

Re-installing the tranny is something I leave to my buddies at the tranny shop. I now have the knowledge to do it myself, but an hydraulic lift makes the job a LOT easier, and initially I did not have the know-how to do it, anyway. I "live" at the shop when they work on my car.. in fact they let me work on my car while it's there. Therefore have solved many problems my car initially had, with professional kibbitzers standing by to critique
James Madison, father of the Constitution, said, "If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy." He also said, "No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare..."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://www.standdown.net/index.htm
Old 06-10-2004, 10:35 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I'm changing the clutch out on my ERA. Very little under the car work required. The trans tunnel is removable so the trans will come out through the interior space. Likewise the bell housing clutch drive shaft etc.