28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2010, 03:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #775
Not Ranked     

Does anyone know where I can rent a trailer in central Jersey for transporting the Cobra to Morristown, or alternately does anyone have a trailer that they would be willing to rent to me?

Any tips on loading the Cobra on a trailer?

Any and all suggestions appreciated

-Ray
Old 04-21-2010, 04:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Cobra
Not Ranked     
Default trailer

U Haul ...about $50.00 aday
Old 04-21-2010, 05:36 AM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

Hecht Trailers in the Toms River area will rent enclosed trailers.
Old 04-21-2010, 12:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the tips, I will definitely look into them. I guess renting an enclosed trailer is better if it rains? Or does one reschedule?

I have a date of May 28.

Thanks!

-Ray

Last edited by RAO-3; 04-23-2010 at 01:56 PM..
Old 05-28-2010, 01:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

My NJ road worthiness inspection was today and thought I would share my experience.

Well I did make it up to Morristown for the inspection on time, and they had the car inside for an hour. They failed me for not having 2 throttle return springs on the same side of the carburetor - I had one one one side, and one on the other side. Also for not having a visible enough VIN location and finally for not having a passenger side roll bar. (Patrick should enjoy that one!) They did tell me that if I came back in the morning, they would re-examine the car rather than have me make another appointment. So I went to an auto parts store and bought some tools (I hadn't brought any with me) and a spring. I removed the passenger seat, installed a second spring on the same side and used a screwdriver to etch the vin number in a more visible location. Brought it back there and they passed it. I then drove down to Trenton, finished all the paperwork and got my plates.

So what do you think - will it snow this weekend?

I plan to be at the Cobra Revolution on the 5th.

Ray
Old 05-28-2010, 01:32 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAO-3 View Post
... and finally for not having a passenger side roll bar. (Patrick should enjoy that one!)
Oh yeah! Come to papa baby! Glad to have another dualy on board.
Old 05-30-2010, 12:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC/331/5 forward
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up And the heavens parted.....

Way To Hang, Ray!! OO-rah! Give nuthin up to the bureaucrats and take home the goods. Typical DMV.....wouldn't/don't know the purpose of a roll bar, so if one is good then two must be better. Right? Wonder why they didn't ask for two steering wheels....or two brake pedals.

Meh. No matter - you beat 'em. I'm certain this is written while you're out discovering the joys of your long-awaited marvel. Perfect day for it, too - see? All things do come together.

Congratulations, Ray. Your patience deserves to be rewarded. See you at the Revolution!

-RCP
Old 06-04-2010, 07:20 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 389 427s/o
Not Ranked     

Good solution to the rollbar! Since when has that been mandatory?

When I went through the annual inspection (not the same as what you went through) the guy asked me where my roof was. Told him there wasn't one. He told me I might not pass. I laughed and told him that under the collector car I need to show my odometer worked, that I had not gone over the allowed mileage and he backed off and reinspected the car.
Old 06-05-2010, 04:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWheaton View Post
Good solution to the rollbar! Since when has that been mandatory?
I asked that specific question and requested he show it to me in the regs. Of course it wasn't there but he kept saying "2 seats, 2 rollbars" for it to pass.

As you likely know, NJ is now planning to only inspect cars for emissions starting in July as they said they had a low failure rate - my guess is that now the policy will be to fail people for job security.

BTW I was not able to get "collector car" status, so have a regular sticker.

-Ray

-Ray
Old 06-05-2010, 04:53 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAO-3 View Post
... but he kept saying "2 seats, 2 rollbars" for it to pass.
... or just unbolt the passenger seat and leave it home.
Old 06-05-2010, 11:36 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2100 Rio Red Wimbledon White Stripes 302 stroked to 331 Webers Richmond Road Race 5 speed
Not Ranked     

Since when do you need a roll bar at all??? What if it was a slab side, no scoop, side pipes or roll bar. A Miata doesn't have a roll bar! That is why they need to change the statis of reconstructed vehicles and allow "kit cars" to get QQ plates.

We need to send a message to the idiots in Trenton and Washington this November. Vote all of them out of office!
Old 06-05-2010, 02:03 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Original ERA 427sc, Powered by Gessford
Not Ranked     

Yup, that is the problem with the current system, it is completely arbitrary. The "requirements" change from station to station and inspector to inspector. There should be no need for a 2nd rollbar or even 1 for that matter.

Ray, did you have them give you an engine letter certifying the year of the engine and stating that the emissions should be tested based on the year of your engine block? If you didn't get it while you were there, you should take the car back down there and get one.

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning."