Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2008, 04:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #775
Not Ranked     
Default NJ Inspection and Registration

Snakebit has a posting over on "all cobra talk", asking about the current status of NJ registration. Link below:

New Jersey title and registration

I'd be interested to find out how the current law would impact your build of your car, and what you could (or would) do differently if the law were changed?

It will likely be about this time next year before I get my ERA, and am trying to figure out what I may have to address as a part of my build.

As it is, I understand that I have to go with the rectangular tail lights and heat shields; but doesn't this also drive your selection of the engine block? My plan, as it stands right now is to go with the 428fe, but I've noted that others seem to have "newer" engines. So how does one with a "newer" engine address the emissions? Also, it kind of bugs me that I have to go with the rectangular taillights, because as I understand it, it would be more accurate to go with the round taillights with the 428.

And if the law does change, are there any benefits to my build?

As always I appreciate your thoughts

(I hope I'm not analyzing all of this too much!)

Ray

Last edited by RAO-3; 06-12-2008 at 04:49 AM..
Old 06-12-2008, 05:30 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster 351W, T5, Red & White
Not Ranked     

Ray, in case this helps:

http://www.dmv.org/nj-new-jersey/custom-built-cars.php
Old 06-12-2008, 05:55 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 389 427s/o
Not Ranked     

This thread might help.

Get someone from MVC on th ephone. If you can, you will have completed the most difficult part of your build.

NJ title registration and inspection answers

Hopefully by the time you finish your build a new law will be in place.
Old 06-12-2008, 06:43 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2100 Rio Red Wimbledon White Stripes 302 stroked to 331 Webers Richmond Road Race 5 speed
Not Ranked     

I made sure I got a 1968 302 block just for the emissions. If you were to build a 32 Ford Street Rod with all new components, fiberglass body, new frame, etc., etc. Would you be required to register it as a kit car or historic vehicle? What qualifies you for a Street Rod"? Confusing as hell!
Old 08-29-2009, 01:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Starting to sort out things on my engine for registration. Do they go by the casting date for emissions or the part number? I think I have a block that has a cast date in 1974; will that be an issue?

Ray

Last edited by RAO-3; 08-29-2009 at 02:45 PM..
Old 08-29-2009, 05:58 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAO-3 View Post
Starting to sort out things on my engine for registration. Do they go by the casting date for emissions or the part number? I think I have a block that has a cast date in 1974; will that be an issue?

Ray
They will look at the casting number, in your case it should be a D4OE style casting number/letter combination. "D"=1970's, "4"=1974

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 08-30-2009, 07:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmustang View Post
They will look at the casting number, in your case it should be a D4OE style casting number/letter combination. "D"=1970's, "4"=1974

Bill S.
Hi Bill,

I was hoping you'd chime in. Here's a pick of what I have, looking at the driver's side front of the block (The picture is upside down for ease in reading):

My big concern of course are the emissions as I was hoping for a "PCV only" requirement.

Ray
Old 08-30-2009, 09:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Cobra
Not Ranked     
Default another concern!

I'll be ready soon also for NJ inspection. My concern is that they told me that with the tires flat the lowest point of the engine, bell housing or the trans should have 4" of clearance! With my tires inflated I only have 3.5" under the bell housing...........
Old 08-30-2009, 10:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltshaker View Post
I'll be ready soon also for NJ inspection. My concern is that they told me that with the tires flat the lowest point of the engine, bell housing or the trans should have 4" of clearance! With my tires inflated I only have 3.5" under the bell housing...........
I haven't heard the 4" requirement, just that you have to clear the ground with all 4 tires flat, in essence riding on your rims and not having anything drag...

-Ray
Old 08-30-2009, 10:49 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Who told you this? Was it the folks at the Asbury Park inspection station? If so, as I have said far to many times in the past, DO NOT USE THAT INSPECTIONS STATION. Use Morristown only as they are far more skilled, and do not change the rules based on their own basis towards kit cars like A.P. does.

Bill S.

Old 08-30-2009, 02:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Cobra
Not Ranked     
Default morristown,nj

I spoke with them a couple of weeks ago...they said yhat this is left up to their discretion ..but they like to see 4" under the drive tran with the tires flat.
Old 08-30-2009, 02:56 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
..but they like to see 4" under the drive tran with the tires flat.
I don't think any of our cars can meet that requirement. Why would they specify clearance with the tires flat? People tend not to drive their car when their tires are flat....
Old 08-30-2009, 03:41 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
I spoke with them a couple of weeks ago...they said yhat this is left up to their discretion ..but they like to see 4" under the drive tran with the tires flat.
I think you misunderstood them. They want to make sure with all four tires flat that the car does not drag the frame (or brake/fuel lines). meaning that if all four tires would go flat at the same time, you could still roll the car on it's bare rims.

Bill S.

Old 08-30-2009, 03:43 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
...meaning that if all four tires would go flat at the same time, you could still roll the car on it's bare rims.
Ahhh, the "FFR Test." That makes sense.
Old 08-30-2009, 04:37 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Ahhh, the "FFR Test." That makes sense.
Not just an FFR, but all Cobra replicas being run through the NJ specialty inspection system.

Bill S.

Old 08-30-2009, 04:39 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Not just an FFR, but all Cobra replicas being run through the NJ specialty inspection system.

Bill S.
I know... I was just trying to enliven an otherwise slow evening on CC.
Old 08-30-2009, 05:03 PM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

I was at Morristown on Thursday. Build it right and they are a great group to deal with. Really, it is not that difficult.
Old 03-17-2010, 02:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Anyone have any idea how long the wait is between when one sends in the initial paperwork and when you hear back from the DMV? I expect to be sending it in shortly and was curious.

Th other question I had is that I have noted that many said you need to provide a tracing of the engine block build date with the package. In reading over the instructions, the only tracing they ask for is the frame id number. Did anyone have any trouble by just providing the frame ID number? (the engine builder did provide the code on the receipt)

Any thoughts you could offer up on this would be appreciated as I'd hate to have the process delayed for any reason. Thanks!

-Ray

Last edited by RAO-3; 03-17-2010 at 03:48 PM..
Old 03-17-2010, 04:09 PM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

They will sit on your application if you don't have some form of tracing from the engine and transmission. The application documentation only asks for the frame BUT the newer staff handling the paperwork wants all 3.
Old 03-18-2010, 03:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashburn View Post
They will sit on your application if you don't have some form of tracing from the engine and transmission. The application documentation only asks for the frame BUT the newer staff handling the paperwork wants all 3.
Thank you for the heads up. I will be sure to include all three.

-Ray