17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 07-11-2006, 03:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Tail of The Dragon Ride

A Tail of The Dragon ride is being organized for Saturday, September 9th commencing at about noon, which will allow time to drive in and assemble at Fontana Dam and attack the Dragon as a group, and hopefully, still leave time for two round trip runs for those who care to.

Another option is to go to Asheville on Friday and start the day from there, as I and my son Mike will do.

Breakfast meets enroute will probably be just west of Asheville on I-40, at exit 44, plus maybe other locations more convenient to some participants.

If you have a Cobra and have not ridden The Tail of The Dragon, it should be on your list of things to do…318 curves in 11 miles! Need I say more?

A group of us did it last year and it was a blast!

If interested further updates will be posted here and on FFCobra.com.

Bob Jones/Raleigh, NC
Old 07-14-2006, 04:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

OK, here’s how this is shaping up. In order to accommodate getting as early a start as possible, and those driving in from Greenville, Charlotte and the Greensboro area I propose the following:

A group meet at Exit 44, on I-40, just west of Asheville by 8 AM in front of the Cracker Barrel Restaurant.

Have breakfast and shoot for an 8:45 departure. (Maybe a quick fuel top off, Pepsi, & bio break enroute)

Arrive at Fontana Dam at 10:30-45 and meet with folks coming from other directions.

Head for the first run of the Dragon at 11-11:15.

Will this work for every body?…Are the times too tight?…This work for you folks driving in that morning?…This work for those who want to meet at Cherokee?

Post your input.

Thanks,

Bob Jones/Raleigh, NC
Old 07-16-2006, 06:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Based on responses and input it’s official…The Tail of The Dragon ride for Cobras, GT 40’s, and Daytona Coupes is on for Saturday, September 9th.

For those coming from the east and south there will be an 8 AM breakfast meet at the Cracker Barrel Restaurant, at Exit 44, on I-40, just west of Asheville.

We will shoot for an 8:45 AM departure for Fontana Dam, with a quick fuel top off, Pepsi, & bio break enroute if desired.

Arrival at Fontana Dam should be around 10:30-45 AM to meet with folks coming from other directions.

Head for the first run of the Dragon at 11-11:15 AM.

Those of you who are use to meeting at other points, i.e. Cherokee etc. know better your meet time frames.

Anyone wanting to overnight at exit 44, the Comfort Inn West is near the Cracker Barrel.

Post any questions you might have about the event and someone watching this thread should be able to answer them.

So far, 18 people have expressed serious interest or intentions, so we should have a good size group and lots of fun.

I look forward to seeing all of you there.

Bob Jones/Raleigh, NC
Old 07-16-2006, 03:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hi. I am in Nashville and would definately be interested in driving the Dragon. I have never been over there and would lie to get some more info on the particulars. Iwould probably go over Fri. pm and spend the night. Is anyone else from Nashville going?

Thanks,
John
Old 07-22-2006, 05:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Seven weeks to go!
Old 07-25-2006, 10:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

It's really official now...we are on the Tail of The Dragon events calendar.
Old 07-29-2006, 09:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Six weeks to go!
Old 08-06-2006, 07:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Five weeks to go!
Old 08-11-2006, 01:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Four Weeks to Go!
Old 08-11-2006, 01:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427SC w/427so, ERA GT #2002
Not Ranked     

Cobras and GT40s are invited, but what about Mustangs? Just want to be flexible in case of inclement weather. Don't want to get the Cobra or GT40 wet!

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough HORSEPOWER." Mark Donohue
Old 08-11-2006, 03:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I can't imagine anyone having an objection. Rain? Cobras don't need no stinking tops nor wipers!!!

Bob Jones
Old 08-11-2006, 04:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Did I miss the answer?

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough HORSEPOWER." Mark Donohue
Old 08-11-2006, 06:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Tom, Sorry my attempt at humor got in the way...as far as I am concerned and I would guess this goes for everyone else, please feel free to drive the Mustang...hopefully weather won't be an issue, but you never can tell. Look forward to seeing you there.

Bob
Old 08-11-2006, 06:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Bob. I'll make it with something. If it's the Mustang, it'll be a ball since it amounts to a TransAm car with an interior and license plate. I don't like to get it wet, either.

Old 08-20-2006, 06:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Three weeks to go!
Old 08-27-2006, 03:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Two weeks to go!
Old 09-03-2006, 12:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The ride is coming up soon and FYI my cell # is 919-649-8386 and hopefully good old Cingular will work enroute. If anyone is running late, give me a call. We don't want to leave anyone behind.

For those of us doing the breakfast stop in Ashville, arriving at Fontana Dam timely, will be driven by staying as close as we can on schedule at the meet. Please try to be at the Cracker Barrel in time to head into the restaurant at 8 AM so we can eat and get on the road as close as we can to 8:45 AM.

Again, give me a call if you are running seriously behind.

Last year Phillip Deal, because he is familiar with the area, did a fine job leading us from the breakfast meet to Fontana Dam. He has consented to leading us again and can also pull us into the enroute bio break. Based on the pace he set last year we should be ok time wise.

My son Mike and I will bring up the rear so I can telephone Phillip should anyone have mechanical or other difficulties etc. enroute. Hopefully not.

With regard to the actual Dragon Ride, I suggest one of you guys who have done it alot step up and lead the pack. Your experience will add to our safety, which is paramount. It appears there will be lots of Honda Civics, plus the usual bike and other traffic there to enjoy the venture...we want to all go home safely with a big smile on our face!

I look forward to seeing alot of you again and meeting some new folks who share our common interest.

Drive safely!

Bob Jones/Raleigh, NC
Old 09-03-2006, 01:07 PM
GEAR GRINDER CUM LAUDE
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1560 w/ Ford Racing [RDI/AFR/RPM] Alum. 427CI - 575HP & TKO
Not Ranked     

Bob, I just did the ride up the Dragon's Tail (in my Escalade) on my way from Cashiers to Knoxville about a month ago. I said to Carol (wife and cheerleader) how much fun it would be to do this in the Cobra. This is some of the nicest forest / mountain drives around.
I think that this might coincide with the big hot rod get together in Piegon Forge. (I'm not sure on the dates, but remember being there 2 years ago about this time) Might be a cool place to head back to, if the same weekend.
What are your plans after the trip up?
I just might meet up with you guys at the dam and do the run - need to check in for permission How many do know are coming?
You can contact me at: terry@terryleearchitect.com if you want.
I live in Cashiers most of the time now, so I would love to do this trip.

TL

note added: I just checked the Pigeon Forge website and that is the weekend of one of the biggest classic car and hot rod gatherings.
Might be fun to runover as a group and terrorize the main street. I'll have to check my road atlas for the best route from the tail.

Last edited by terry lee; 09-03-2006 at 02:32 PM..
Old 09-06-2006, 10:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 351w stroked 396
Not Ranked     
Default Pigon Forge Car Show Sept. 7th.8th.9th. and 10th.

If any of you come over to the car show in Pigeon Forge , Unique Motor cars of Alabama will be there and there will be about 20 cobras at Norma Dans Hotel . Stop and say hello .

Traveler
Old 09-06-2006, 01:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Traveler,

Thanks for the invite. By the same token, you all should feel free to join in the fun at The Tail of The Dragon Ride on Saturday.

Bob Jones/Raleigh, NC