LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2011, 08:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR track car, SL-C track car
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eljaro View Post
I also do not know why the boiling inside the carbs.
I really wonder if your issue is related to the gas there. I'm hearing more and more stories about the side effects of ethanol blends and other additives, and the differences between summer gas and winter gas (here in the States).

Do they have ethonol in the gas there, and if so, how much?

Oh and Al, that's one of the nicest setups I've ever seen!
Old 08-08-2011, 03:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary with 482 KC/SO, TKO600,IRS Jag/AMP, 3.54 Salisbury PL,
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Throttle Al View Post
As I recall, more than 20 degrees, I think in the 26 degree range. I'm sure you've done this but any chance fuel pressure is higher than the suggested 2-3PSI for Webers or that the floats are set too high? High pressure fuel pump?
I suspect the timing here has something to do with the excessive heat and maybe also with my engine running rich no matter what. If I go down with the idle jets the engine starts spitting, but the A/F gauge keeps saying rich.
I am at 20º advance at idle now, max is 38º. Will try to go up with the initial advance, as I suspected you are over that figure.
I will turn the distributor for more advance and watch at the same time the A/F ratio gauge to see if something changes. Maybe there is something interesting there.
Initial advance with the Holley was factory set at 12º and the engine was always dieseling and getting rather hot. I never got to change the advance when I had the Holleys, but I am sure the cure for the dieseling would have been more initial advance.
Maybe these aluminum engines with these roller camshaft just need lots of advance to run well.
I will also check the maximum advance over 38º, fitting a stethoscope to the heads and drive to hear at which max advance the engine starts pinging.

Will try it out this week.
In the meanwhile the wider scoop is ordered and so I will get the clearance issue done with.
Old 08-08-2011, 06:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M Cobra Ford FE 427 w/ Webers 48 IDA
Not Ranked     

Eljaro,

I am running the original hood scoop with the spacers (1/2 inch) and with the electric pump.
I use to experience the boil over when letting the car sit after a drive. I recently decided to adjust the floats back to the original specs ( many have said to adjust the float to compensate for the 10 degree angle) and it is working perfect!

In Miami it gets hot, humid, even at night. This seemed to solve my problem. I have also incoporated a baffle for the inlet of the scoop which help dramaticlly.

I have a set of the short horns and can tell you that it did not make a difference unless your motor is running absolute perfectly. However, I decided to use the standard horns instead of a the shortys for the look.

You will see better a improvement if you do the baffle. As for the hood clearance, if you want the smaller horns to get the clearance then just do it. If your not running the baffle, then it wont make a difference. There is so much air velocity through that scoop that you wont notice a difference with the different horns.

Before spending the money, take it for a drive without the horns. Even though you will need the tapered inlet of the horn I`l bet you will not notice a too much of a difference especially at high speeds.
Old 07-27-2013, 08:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Can anyone running these provide a dimensional value of the horns, i.e. measur,eng from outside to outside across the intake? Currently running a 650 Holley and looking to get a complete setup from Jim soon. Just want to be able to gage clearance with the hood scoop. Thanks.