28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2012, 04:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Autokraft MK IV 302 Ford
Not Ranked     
Default Sorting Out Webers on AK1066....

Well, I did want to share my progress....I bought this Autokraft car recently, (I posted some of this under the Autokraft forum) and it was equipped with a Ford SVO blocked 322 equipped with Weber 48 IDA's that were simply not right! Lots of exhaust soot on the floor of the garage from the sidepipes, some popping in the exhaust, appeared to have some fuel washing the cylinders.....NOT right. I had never dealt with Webers. Process was frustrating as I got up to speed, as my mechanic had the car, he did not know Webers etc. Long story short, I enlisted the help of Jim Inglese and he helped me get it straight. Almost home! Only a little fine tuning remains....The frustrating part was ordering tools, ordering different jets, etc. and then the resulting delays.....I am not afraid of Webers any longer, and my mechanic is now quite good with them.

I thought I might share some of my experience so as to help future Newbies like myself! This will not be helpful to the many Weber experts on this forum!

A few tips:

1) Start with a properly timed engine! Webers like lots of timing. This has been said over and over again, but trust me, you will save yourself time, and money, by trying to advance your timing maybe a bit more than you had thought was necessary. We ended up on about 38 degrees total....more than it had before by a few degrees to be sure. HUGE difference in eliminating the popping in the exhaust. Some people had said that was a necessary condition of having Webers...NOT so!

2) Make sure you are running a good fuel regulator and gauge on your fuel system and that you are running proper fuel pressure (for my application 2.5-3 pounds)

3) Set your float levels FIRST so as to have a proper baseline from properly adjusted carbs. We actually re-built the carbs and replaced several small parts including mixture screws, etc. Some of the old mixture screws were BENT from being over tightened.

4) Referencing #3 above, we bought an excellent float adjustment tool from Gene Berg at [url=http://www.Geneberg.com] Great service, all good. I also bought a complex measuring device, very well made, from Bieker Engineering at bieker The latter is probably not necessary, but it will give you the float levels without having to tear down the carbs. Might be worth the cost depending on your situation.

5) Jim Inglese, as many others have noted, is a wonderful resource. He was very helpful to me and my mechanic. I paid him for some of his time, as I was not familiar with Webers nor was my mechanic when we started......money well spent. I purchase some jets from a large company before contacting Jim, and they bothched the order. (sent 4 jets instead of 8 and set us back another week because of the mix-up). Those mistakes do not happen with Jim. I did not post my exact set up yet, as it is not perfect, but 90% better than where we started.

6) My car had the black rubber, with steel mesh sandwiching a layer of foam, air filters on the stacks. The car was set up to run through them. They are AWFUL....DO NOT USE....The foam can deteriorate and fall into the car. Webers are very sensitive to these covers, and while I want a simple wire mesh screens, the former are to be AVOIDED.

7) Suffice it to say that my car was WAY lean, and the previous owner masked that condition by backing the mixture screws WAY out...this, combined with the screens made a car that simply popped, ran overly rich at idle, etc. I have only the slightest of stumbles now in the idle circuit that I will pursue now....

Hope this helps, and thanks again for all the tips from Clubcobra forum members...

Cheers,

Bradford Aka Griffbl

Last edited by griffbl; 06-03-2012 at 06:20 PM..
Old 06-03-2012, 06:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

In retrospect it's very satisfying once you begin to get close to the right overall setup and feel the difference between a 4bbl and a set of well tuned Webers.

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way
Old 06-03-2012, 06:45 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

Nicely done! Thanks
Old 06-03-2012, 08:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary, 427 FE Center Oiler w/ 48 IDA Webers
Send a message via AIM to zimmy
Not Ranked     

Just a reminder to those of you with Webers that will be attending the SAAC convention at Watkins Glen - Jim Inglese has made an incredible offer. He will personally tune any car with Webers at no charge for his labor (parts are extra). He will work wonders on your system. I speak from experience as Jim cured my car after 7 years of my puttering with everyone else's opinions. JIm knows and will get them right. You can find him at the Cobra Automotive tent at SAAC. You won't be sorry.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

What a treat for those attending! Now if we can just get Jim to the Monterey Historics!

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way
Old 06-04-2012, 04:02 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF GT40P-2265/393W, KMP318 (PROJECT!!!!!)/CSX478
Not Ranked     

Amen!!

"Dishwasher? I thought that was for cleaning parts!?"