28 29 30        
Old 12-26-2006, 06:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M Cobra Ford FE 427 w/ Webers 48 IDA
Not Ranked     
Default Weber advice needed please help

Hello all,

I am in the process of tuning my webers. I would like to get everything tuned and ready so I could just send out the body to get painted. Here is my situation.

The engine is a 427 side oiler and weber carbs. When the engine is idling I am getting a rich smell. When I rev the engine every so often I get a sneeze from the pass side front carb and driver rear carb. Also, I have noticed a flame from the carb would shoot up. Here is my specs on the carb.

Emulsion tube - F7
main jet - 160
air corrector jet 210
idle jet holder 120
idle jet 55- F10
choke 37
exhaust (bottom of bowel) 55

Also I am hoping that somebody can include the measurements for the float with the 10 degree manifold. Also, I have purchase an inovantive LM1 wide band analyzer to help with the tuning.

Please help.

Thanks
Old 12-26-2006, 06:58 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #122 (Sold) : Ford GT #484 Heritage Edition; 2008 GT500 Red/Black
Not Ranked     

Your baseline seems to be ok but as I have learned with Webers the only real way to tune them is with a dyno and sniffer.

Now the popping that you are getting is indicitive of a cam that has too much overlap. What are teh specs on teh cam because these carbs don't LIKE OVERLAP.

Matt
Old 12-26-2006, 07:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Here are the specs.

Lobe size bc/ht IN: 1.350 EX 1.350

Intake & Exhaust
Lobe Separation =111.9 Cam Deg
Valve overlap = 23.4

Intake

valve open = 14.6
centerline =
valve close = 50.2
Duration-----> 244.7
lobe lift 37689 IN
valve lift-----> .65956 IN
lobe area = 30.85 In * Deg

Exhaust
valve open = 60.5
Centerline 115.8 BTDC
valve close 8.9 ATDC
Duration------> 249.3
lobe lift .3789
valve lift -----> .66307
lobe area = 31.83 IN DEG

I hope this helps. I am not to familiar about cams. If there is more information needed please let me know. Thanks for you help
Old 12-26-2006, 12:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Can anyone help me with this setup please. Is this cam ok for webers?
Old 12-26-2006, 06:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 67 427 cobra SB
Not Ranked     

Some where on this site there was a link to a technical artical on how to tune webers. I'm fuzzily remembering it was the manufactures site. Wish I could be more help. Try some searches.

With the holidays and all, I'm certain someone will be by again any time.
Old 12-26-2006, 08:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the reply... I am hoping someone will chime in and help me out
Old 12-27-2006, 04:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 shelby, 69 shelby 98 saleen s351
Not Ranked     
Default tuning

Quote:
Originally Posted by priobe
Thanks for the reply... I am hoping someone will chime in and help me out
Inglese sells a tuning guide that is excellent. When I had Shelby 6s100 running on weberes, actually when I was considering them, Enzo from Finish Line offered to help me dial them in. In the end, I did not need their help...but I will add that Inglese had them set up for me and I just neede to do the final tuning.

I am a believer in having an expert analyze your set up (including Cam)and sell you the right parts to get you close. Inglese asks for a ton of data, but it worked. Expensive, but effective.

I did note that at the turkey rod run this year, they were not displaying any weber products. Just hot rod parts. E mail me privately if you want some specific help.

Oh, the giggest help I got was from my wife, she has perfect pitch. She could detect changes in engine sound much easier that I could. When adjusting the webers, it takes very small adjustments...unlike Holley carbs. Good luck.

Dan
66 Shelby #2166
69 Boss 302...
98 Saleen S351 #20
95 Saleen S351 #111

Last edited by footnfan; 12-27-2006 at 04:12 AM..
Old 12-27-2006, 04:43 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #122 (Sold) : Ford GT #484 Heritage Edition; 2008 GT500 Red/Black
Not Ranked     

We need Calmetal to pop in here and make a comment...Im not good at reading cam cards but if I read this right you have 244/659 on the intake and 249/663 on the exhaust...I've always been told that once you get over about 600 in valve lift you will get reverb through the carbs since they don't have a common runner.

I ran a CC K33-246-4 which is 110deg lobe sep with a 294/248@50 and .605 valve lift and was right at teh bleeding edge. It seems to me that you have way way way too much valve lift.

One thing on Webers that you have to get used to is the don't have alot of lope to them...it really levels them out.

So now the next question.

Who built the motor and did they know that it was going to have Webers on it? I know Keith Craft has a special grind cam that he does for weber motors with lift but very little overlap so you don't get the pop out of the carb when both valves are open..that is essentially whats happening here...I think.

CAL!!!! Your opinions oh great one!

Matt
Old 12-27-2006, 07:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The company that built the motor is locate in south Florida and I did specify that I would be running Webers. I have spoken to Pierce Manifold and gave them the specs of the cam, and told me that it would be alright.

Hopefully Cal or someone else will chime in.
Old 12-28-2006, 06:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Paging CAL
Old 01-02-2007, 07:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hello All,

I am re-listing this this thread in hopes that someone might want to help. I contacted Inglese to find out some information about the cam setup and they do not see a problem with the cam setup. I am hoping that some one could basically help me to make sure I have a correct baseline and that I do not end up chasing my tail on this one.

I would like to find out what are the values to some componets to make sure that I have the correct setup.i.e

Need Valves
Float adjustment
pump jet
Fuel psi
Fuel pressure regulator
Fuel Pump
and anything else I might of left out.

Thanks in advance