17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 05-19-2008, 06:36 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A Blue Car
Not Ranked     

Doug, dblbarrel, Terry,

Thank you for your support and was our pleasure for sure! Doug, thank you! I'll let Eric know! I had a minor vapor lock issue at the track on Saturday. We did good with the weather on Friday. Saturday was 10+ degrees hotter at the track.

Great job!

John
Old 05-19-2008, 07:43 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #185, Shelby Alloy 482; sold
Not Ranked     

John, I was so impressed with your assistants, Eric and Karen, I decided to find out more about Karen. She is quite the accomplished person:

"Karen Salvaggio serves as Vice President for Women in Racing with the Women's Automotive Association International (WAAI), the premier organization for women in the automotive industry. As Editor-in-Chief for Thunder Valley Racing, she travels nationally to support and develop opportunities for women in racing. She is an avid racecar driver, and was most recently awarded the 2005 Regional Championship for the National Council of Corvette Clubs (NCCC).

Karen’s twenty-year racing career began in 1985, driving in NASCAR Winston dirt track events in California. She drove to numerous top five finishes and secured the Most Improved Driver award in stockcar racing, before making the move to road racing with the Vintage Auto Racing Association (VARA) in the early 1990’s. Over the next five years, Karen competed in endurance races in a 1959 vintage Corvette roadster. Her growing passion for racing, and a desire to develop highly refined driving skills, led her into performance driving late model (Z06) Corvettes in high and low speed events with the SCCA and National Council of Corvette Clubs (NCCC).

In 2000, Karen joined the American Le Mans Series (ALMS), competing in the Women's Global GT Series. Karen has also competed in NHRA drag racing events, garnering the Gardei Memorial Overall Competitor Award in 1997 (Firebird Raceway), and Top Eliminator at the Pomona Drags in 1999. She also serves as an instructor driver at NCCC, NASA, and SCCA driving school events, and enjoys working with novice drivers as they develop confidence through driving mastery.

Karen has secured more that 150 first place finishes in driving competitions, and was awarded the 2005 West Coast Region Championship for the National Council of Corvette Clubs (NCCC), a title she previously secured in 1998, 1999 and 2001.

Current Race Season:

Race Series: Factory Five Challenge Series (NASA FFR); Editor in Chief: Thunder Valley Racing
The 2006 season finds Karen competing in the Factory Five Challenge Series (FFR) with the National Auto Sport Association (NASA). She drives on the West Coast circuit, and will compete at the National Challenge Series level in September at Mid-Ohio. She is an instructor driver with the National Auto Sport Association (NASA) NCCC, and the SVTOA (Ford) Clubs, and feeds the competitive spirit through high-speed competition events.

Karen's goal is to bring widespread, international attention to the efforts of women in racing through her work with the dedicated teams at the WAAI and Thunder Valley Racing. Her racing goal is to compete on a national or international level with a road racing team at endurance events.

Personal: Karen served nine years in the U.S. Air Force as an aircraft mechanic on B-52's and KC-135 aircraft. She had several stateside assignments, as well as tours in Japan and the Philippines. In 1985 she left the military to pursue a career in education, and used the GI Bill to secure her college education while working full time as a service manager at a motorcycle shop. She earned her bachelors degree in social science, became an elementary school teacher, and then served as a school principal for eight years.

Karen currently serves as Director of Student Support Services for a school district in Riverside, California. She holds a Doctorate in organizational leadership, and a Master's Degree in education. Her daughter Tracy, an aspiring driver herself, garnered the SCCA Novice Driver of the Year award when she was just 16 years of age, and is currently pursuing a career in education."
Old 05-19-2008, 08:09 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: R.U.C.C. with a 427FE, toploader
Not Ranked     
Default Thank you all!

Just would like to say THANK YOU ALL!!! and sorry for the mess I made on the track with my brain fart
Old 05-19-2008, 08:35 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 623, 427 S/C Cobra. Ford FE 428 Cobra Jet, Ford Nascar TL 4speed - with a touch of raw; "less is more" theme
Not Ranked     

Dave,
Yes - glad to see you found the truth behind it all. A rare find indeed. As we indicated at the Track meeting, many were and are still amazed at the quality and level of world class instruction resources available to all of you at Track Day. John and I spoke again today, and in his words that describe it best "Truly Magical".

Not enough can be said about what can be said about what John accomplished here with the magic from John, Eric, and Karen and some of our very close personal friends (Gary C., Gary B...) and all from the NorCal/River City Shelby Club (too many to list).

On a related note, this is something so special, it deserves further attention, and John is giving that attention and vision moving forward. More on that from John later...
Old 05-20-2008, 10:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: GTD40, sbf 302 400hp
Not Ranked     

Just let me know what you need me to do John. I'm all in. Hook, line and sinker.

Howard
Old 05-20-2008, 10:40 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC #004 (Original ERA?)
Not Ranked     

John,

I thanked Duane but neglected to acknowledge you, Eric and Karen. It was a well-run event and it was clear that whatever you guys were doing during the downloads was paying dividends on the track. The level of competence, especially in the novice groups, increased astronomically by days end and exceeded that of last year by a significant margin. If you need my help next year I am more than willing to participate!

Cheers, Pete C
Old 05-20-2008, 12:49 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

Best line from the entire Bash (IMHO) was from Eric at the Drivers' Meeting the night before the track day...

"Remember, nothing you do tomorrow will add any value to your car."

Sage words.
Old 05-20-2008, 06:32 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamo View Post
Best line from the entire Bash (IMHO) was from Eric at the Drivers' Meeting the night before the track day...

Sage words.
I was thinking the same thing as I was sliding in the dirt.
Old 05-20-2008, 06:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast Cobra w/ Centrifugally Blown Big Block, Pickles, Onions, on a Sesame Seed Bun.
Not Ranked     
Default Wow

I saw that slide. I was sitting in the bleachers with dad, saw it come around, and held my breath. That sir, was dicey! I'm glad you (and car?) are ok. That looked like it could have had a far worse ending.

Byron
Old 05-20-2008, 06:43 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByronRACE View Post
I saw that slide. I was sitting in the bleachers with dad, saw it come around, and held my breath. That sir, was dicey! I'm glad you (and car?) are ok. That looked like it could have had a far worse ending.

Byron
All ok, just lost a little paint and a little pride
Old 05-20-2008, 07:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamo View Post

Sage words.
Yes, I totally agree, words to live by....
Old 05-21-2008, 08:27 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Thank You!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Jones View Post
Just let me know what you need me to do John. I'm all in. Hook, line and sinker.

Howard
Thank You Howard!

It’s good to know I can count on you as we get our plans more developed. You were a big help to me personally and I enjoyed your company.

Talk soon, John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete C View Post
John,

I thanked Duane but neglected to acknowledge you, Eric and Karen. It was a well-run event and it was clear that whatever you guys were doing during the downloads was paying dividends on the track. The level of competence, especially in the novice groups, increased astronomically by days end and exceeded that of last year by a significant margin. If you need my help next year I am more than willing to participate!

Cheers, Pete C
Thank you Pete!

I too was so impressed with 1A&B by the day’s end. What I got to experience was the blend of talent from instructors on track and those in download. The progression of groups driving the line correctly and their awareness on grid and on track was quite obvious to me. Yes, a beautiful thing.

I want to thank you for letting me have my way this year. All of you were on-board from day one and your commitment and follow-through was, and is, impressive.

I am very excited about the future of track day and look forward to discussing plans for 2009, and beyond, at our next instructor meeting!

Thanks again Pete and hope to see you soon,

John

ps, will let Karen & Eric know your appreciation.
Old 05-21-2008, 09:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 302 Mass-Flo mild race engine
Not Ranked     

I had a great time at the 2008 Cobra Bash....All the people that I met were great and had all of the class in the world and great looking cars too.....Dave Shulak
Old 05-21-2008, 10:21 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 623, 427 S/C Cobra. Ford FE 428 Cobra Jet, Ford Nascar TL 4speed - with a touch of raw; "less is more" theme
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by davids View Post
I had a great time at the 2008 Cobra Bash....All the people that I met were great and had all of the class in the world and great looking cars too.....Dave Shulak
Hi David,
We were honored to have you at the Bash and grateful that your doctor let you attend with all of us. I know it was a big thing to tackle for you to be there. You did it! You showed all of us (and others) about what it means to "make it to the Bash". I saw you on the Saturday drive too.

Your determination to rise above the hurdles and all that you have been through to make it there was a true inspiration to me and Bob, and others at WSCB. We were fortunate to be able to meet you and have you there, so THANK YOU David. Truly awesome and inspirational. It's people such as yourself that remind us why we did the bash in the first place.

You are true GLADIATOR sir!

Last edited by decooney; 05-21-2008 at 10:23 AM..
Old 05-21-2008, 02:14 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Thumbs up Thank You!! To All WSCB-Track Day Instructors & Team!

Track Day Team,

I want to thank and acknowledge All Track Day Instructors for your efforts, dedication, skill, patients with me, and for pulling off a truly amazing Track Day! During the event I did not drive, although badly wanted to. I did not want to loose focus on the schedule, energy, flow, and minutia that was happening minute by minute. I spent much of my time with Terry on the start/finish tower observing, listening, and making decisions. But the reality was, the event ran itself like a Swiss watch. Yes, we had a few issues but got right back on schedule.

What was happening on the course and in the downloads came together like one smooth progression of driver-improvement & awareness throughout the day. You guys, instructors, were hailed with appreciation and thanks by the course workers, and many of the attendees who approached me later in the day, Sunday, and currently by email. All of you worked with your groups and it showed, especially 1A&B. You were the backbone the event and you drove your asses off helping and supporting your students.

What more can be said for the Driver’s Meeting Thursday night? A stellar performance by Eric & Karen. It just doesn’t get any better than these two!

Our grid marshals were awesome all day! Never missing a beat while standing in the hot sun on pre-grid and the hot-lane. You kept us on the minute all day long! Great Job!

I also want to thank those of you who jumped in and helped with Tech on Thursday. We got a jump on tech this year and the drivers who were prepared greatly helped the process go smoothly.

I am honored to work with such a talented and dedicated group of individuals and looking forward to our next event. Bravo!!!

Driving Instructors:
Gary C.
Gary B.
Don F.
Dave A.
David A.
Gordon G.
Brian L.
Pete C.
Rick A.
Karen S.
Eric W.

Group Leaders:
Eric W.
Karen S.
Gary B.

Grid Marshals:
Dick S.
Andy S.
Mike K.
Lowell F.

Tech Inspectors:
Morgan L.
Howard J.
Andy S.
Eric W.

If I forgot someone, like DUANE who got in someone's face and made massive amounts of drinking water available immediately, please just slap me!

What a day people, you should feel proud!

Hang Loose (Shaka), John
Old 05-21-2008, 02:30 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique #9159 428 FE 614HP by FE Specialties
Not Ranked     

Duane and John,

You both did an awsome job of planning, coordinating and putting together a great staff and event this year...each year seemed to outdo the previous. I think I can say for us all that we truly appreciate the work you put in to make each event as enjoyable as it could possibly be for each and every one of us who attend. Words can hardly say exactly what we feel. Thank you all.

I will send you both an email with my thoughts, as you requested, for next year and you have my offer of any help, within my power, I can give.

Tom
Old 05-22-2008, 10:41 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Tom,
Thanks, and I heard ya loud and clear at the Bash too as we were all departing. I am planning on getting together a subteam of people for CH1, and you are on that list along with a few others who left notes in my car as we departed Sunday morning.

As I check out base locations this weekend for the CH1 prototype, there is some background discussion going on with other group events who meet, and one other near the coast in Cobras, to see if we can merge three into one to come up with something different and else to do. Gotta keep it spicy and fresh, and never stale. I'll be asking for your help on that too along with others. Email coming soon after next week
Old 05-22-2008, 11:24 AM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

Duane...willing to help on CH1...I'm on the road all the time and know more than a few Central Coast routes/places to stay. Let me know.
Old 05-22-2008, 11:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cutting Edge Replicas, 427 World block SBF, TWM Injection
Not Ranked     

Duane - I'm willing to help too.
John - I'm not licensed as driver/insturctor, but willing to help ... carry water, staging?
Shell Valley Daytona #27
Old 05-22-2008, 12:14 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thank you SF/Ron, I appreciate your support and will put you on the list. We are currently in the concept stage of planning 2009 & 2010. I’m hoping to go public with our plans by end of June. We have a few pivotal meetings in the meantime that will help inform our decisions. All I can say at this point is that we are thinking big.

Hope your car ran well and it was good to see you at the Bash!

Talk soon, John

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: