21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-07-2008, 07:50 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 623, 427 S/C Cobra. Ford FE 428 Cobra Jet, Ford Nascar TL 4speed - with a touch of raw; "less is more" theme
Not Ranked     
Default Thanks to the rest of you!

Oh, and THANKS to the rest of you who sent me emails and called my cell phone today to alert me about the whining session going on here in this thread on CC. Sorry I did not respond sooner. But, those of you who know us, knew we would. I've been out of state back East dealing with a very serious family matter with a Mother near expiring, and just saw this thread now. Sure takes the rest of the flame out of a person to come back and read this stuff, and I probably am an idiot for putting up with any of it when I do have a regular job that I work 60-hours a week at plus 300-400hrs donated time to WSCB each year, and all for non-profit; not including the rest of the folks who donate their time. Hmmm. We may have to really rethink this for 2009, possibly letting the attendees put on their own event. You can't secure anything or put anything on without non-refundable deposits and expenditures that cannot be refunded. That all comes from attendee registration fees. For us who do donate time, the main reward comes from those who actually show up each year. Thanks to the rest of you for your ongoing support and understanding about how this is all made possible. And, for the rest who still don't understand - we agree to disagree with you, and defer back to the agreement you agreed to.

Last edited by decooney; 04-07-2008 at 08:31 PM..
Old 04-07-2008, 07:55 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 623, 427 S/C Cobra. Ford FE 428 Cobra Jet, Ford Nascar TL 4speed - with a touch of raw; "less is more" theme
Not Ranked     

Oh, and one more thing. Did some of you happen notice some of the real nimrod whiners on ClubCobra don't have a tropy next to their handle name here on CC. It's because they don't give anything or donate to ClubCobra either. And so the story goes.
Old 04-07-2008, 07:58 PM
Regularly Offensive
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: spf
Not Ranked     

I'm just glad you still put it on.............

Too close for missles, switching to guns.........
Old 04-07-2008, 08:10 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Ed. I'm starting to show some deep scars now, can you tell? Even with rock solid attendee agreements, bold letters on every sentence prefixed with the words "Attention", in Red, repeated several times, over and over again - 1% still like to bash the Bash. Having to hold the line is not fun and I don't enjoy it - at all; not easy. This is the 1% I truly do hate about this donated job. You know if anyone does, my dream is to become a WSCB attendee someday. Just register, drive up, and attend. Wow! Now that would be so simple. Maybe next year, if I can find a capable idiot with some idiot money to pay for the idiot basics I paid for to get this all started, and about 1600 hours of free time invested so far. It would have to jump to 500 cars or so to become profitable. Computer skills required. Know of such an idiot? If so, I'd like to meet that idiot soon. We could have an idiot meeting with an idiotic agenda for 2009 to start working on some idiotic exit strategies for me to transfer idiotic knowledge to the new idiot and team of idiots to run the event for those who are willing to risk it and attend. Hey, this is starting to shape up. Idiots helping idiots to push them just hard enough to make smart decisions. I like it. Hahahahaha.

Last edited by decooney; 04-07-2008 at 08:23 PM..
Old 04-07-2008, 08:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 4596
Not Ranked     

I doubt he'd give it a shot though. I for one appreciate all you do Duane to put this on.
Old 04-07-2008, 08:33 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A Blue Car
Not Ranked     

Hey, Wait a minute! I’d like to b--tch-n-moan too, but I can’t. I’m an idiot!
Old 04-07-2008, 08:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast Cobra w/ Centrifugally Blown Big Block, Pickles, Onions, on a Sesame Seed Bun.
Not Ranked     
Default So...raise the price?

Since we're on the topic, I'm curious why this event require the selfless donation of volunteers to run it?

Have you considered funding it a little more solidly so you can afford to do things like hire help? I personally wouldn't care if the event was $600-$1000 and managed by a for-profit endeavor. You don't seem to have a problem with attendance and a customer base that can afford it. It seems to me that a move like this wouldn't be a big deal and takes the burden off your shoulders while at the same time allowing for a few frills like a bit more friendly handling of scheduling changes or slot ownership issues. If you're trying to be the nice guy and save us money while at the same time making yourself suffer through it every year, I don't see why; you should get to enjoy the event as well and if it means you have to charge more...then charge more. It's far better than being miserable.

By the way, I'd be happy to donate to Club Cobra if they removed all the banner ads. It's one or the other, in my book. I wouldn't pay for Comcast Cable if they flashed banner ads on the screen during my movies, nor would I pay for phone service if they played an advertisement instead of a ring signal while I'm waiting for a call to connect...the same logic applies here. It's a matter of principle. I find ads flashing in my face very objectionable.
Old 04-07-2008, 08:48 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: R.U.C.C. with a 427FE, toploader
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByronRACE View Post
By the way, I'd be happy to donate to Club Cobra if they removed all the banner ads. It's one or the other, in my book. I wouldn't pay for Comcast Cable if they flashed banner ads on the screen during my movies, nor would I pay for phone service if they played an advertisement instead of a ring signal while I'm waiting for a call to connect...the same logic applies here. It's a matter of principle. I find ads flashing in my face very objectionable.
What do you think they play EVERY 15 minutes during your movie? and you still play them!
Old 04-07-2008, 08:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Thumbs down

Just to set the record straight, I did delete my message as soon as I heard that there were no transfers or refunds! I can also post a copy of the court order I got today authorizing my surgery and stating that it had to be done within 30 days. The first opening the doctor had was April 28th so I would think that Like most things in this world that a unknown medical issue stated a month and a half before the event should warrant a refund or at least the ability to offer the spot to someone else. However, As I said, I recinded my message and was willing to eat the cost after re-reading the agreement. I personally take offense that I am being accused of being a flake and take the entire message left by Duane as an insult! I think Duane, you owe me an apology at the very least. I am sure there are flakes that cancel at the last minute and I agree there should be a penalty. However this is a month and a half away and I know there are many people that would be willing to pay you directly for my spot if it was available. I think I will post the court order anyway, just to prove that unexpected things happen to the best of us. You remind me of my old bosses who would punish everybody for the problems caused by one or two people. All that does is foster resentment from the innocent people and the guilty one's are oblivious to it anyway. No wonder our country is so screwed up with decision makers like yourself!
Old 04-07-2008, 08:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast Cobra w/ Centrifugally Blown Big Block, Pickles, Onions, on a Sesame Seed Bun.
Not Ranked     
Default Actually, no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibr8k4vetts View Post
What do you think they play EVERY 15 minutes during your movie? and you still play them!
Incorrect, I do not. If I pay for something, it does not have commercials inserted into the content. I have 30+ HD channels for free on a DB8 antenna that's mounted on a 16ft mast on my roof. They are provided free in exchange for the advertising they support. If If I pay for movies, it's via Netflix, and there's no ads in those. I don't subscribe to television services for the very reasons mentioned; it's absurd.
Old 04-07-2008, 09:10 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A Blue Car
Not Ranked     

I like where this rant is going. actually interesting. Folks finally dumping on the Cobra Bash. That’s a good thing to explore. Healthy I guess. All we ever hear is how great it is and please, don’t change it, don’t make it another commercial driven event, and keep it just the way it is…intimate, like a family, that’s what keeps it special.

But this is good. We’ve never had a “bash the Bash” discussion and for constructive reasons, certainly. So if you’re going to rip it, than rip it. But first I think you should understand what the Cobra Bash is and why it’s organized the way it is. That would require asking some questions first. I would not want anyone to end up looking foolish. Just a suggestion for those who may want to jump on this bandwagon.

Take care
Old 04-07-2008, 09:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Are you referring to my post?

If you're referring to my post, it's neither a rant, nor a bash and it starts with a question.

I don't require a reply; I meant it as merely a suggestion. If you take offense, just ignore it...it's not an attack.
Old 04-07-2008, 09:26 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

John...well said.
Old 04-07-2008, 09:45 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Bought an Exact carbon car in TX. Bought a 427 sideoiler with 630 HP
Not Ranked     

I too may have to cancel due to a conflict with the Indy qualifying 0n 14 to 19 May. I was REALLY looking forward to WSCB and may still get to attend. I emailed Duane hoping that if I did cancell that the spot could go to someone else. I had no thought of a refund and was treated with respect. Doesn't get better than that but still hope my spot can be used by someone else.
John

Last edited by double ugly; 04-07-2008 at 09:47 PM..
Old 04-07-2008, 10:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: spf #1723 427w
Not Ranked     

WOW!
I have gone the last two years and think this is a first class event! I have met Great people like Dick Smith (God bless him) and Peter Brock. The attendies are all wounderful people that have the same passion for these cars that I enjoy!. Sorry Duane that you are subjected to comments like this. I hope you take this with a grain of salt and keep it going for MANY years to come. God Bless and we will see you next month.

Greg Tripp
Old 04-07-2008, 10:13 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by double ugly View Post
I too may have to cancel due to a conflict with the Indy qualifying 0n 14 to 19 May. John
Come on now, we're all car guys, qualifying for the pole at Indy has to be considered a good excuse for not going to the Bash and getting a refund. In the Bash agreement, is there an Indy qualifying "carveout"?
Old 04-07-2008, 10:53 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: owned Kirkham for 11 years
Not Ranked     

Mike.

I hope all goes well with your surgery and believe you did the right thing by removing your original post.

I also believe Duane dosen`t owe anyone an apology in this matter, as the conditions have been spelled out clearly for the last two years and we all take the risk that we may not be able to make the event.

I can relate to Duane`s family health crisis, and would hope others would give him some consideration.

Maurice Lawrence
Old 04-07-2008, 10:54 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFRCobraMike View Post
I think Duane, you owe me an apology at the very least. I am sure there are flakes that cancel at the last minute and I agree there should be a penalty...

This one was not actually directed at you. It was the idiots calling out idiots. Saw your deleted post. No apology necessary, and I'll just ignore the rest of your post to be frank. And yeah, the flakes never admit they are flakes, they just come up with really good excuses. Is what it is, and the rest attend. As for the other assumptions about it being 1.5 months away, that statement has no merit as there is no basis or understanding about what we do after we close registration and move on to other things....

Oh well, nuff said, I defer back to the agreement; it's there for this reason and ongoing headaches of debate with those who don't really understand what is involved, and what is at stake here to begin with, Duane
Old 04-08-2008, 12:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1989 KCC from South Africa Right Hand Drive
Not Ranked     

It is always those who could not organize a piss-up in brewery themselves,that always seem to have the most to say about others efforts.
This will be my first year and so far every aspect of dealing with Duane has been nothing but professional.
I am looking forward to having a great time,but unfortunately its a little far to take my car....Oh Well!
Old 04-08-2008, 12:36 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

OK...seems folks have had their say.

Here's the thing. Putting things like this together is fun the first year or two, but then it becomes a bit of a job...akin to herding cats.

Allowing for cancellations or registration switching is easier for ongoing businesses (hotels, etc.) but single events where money is put down to reserve tracks, etc. really makes it difficult. I know...I've been there. I ran events (Solo I and II, Rallys) for the local SCCA chapter as its president during the 90s.

Duane et al made it abundantly clear that there would be no cancellation refunds or trades allowed...starting with the day after the previous year's event and repeated numerous times thereafter. The red letter notice was the last notice given after repeated notices in e-mails.

Obviously, someone is not a flake when a last minute emergency happens, and that broad stroke of the brush was unfortunate and misinterpreted, but exceptions breed exceptions. Fairness is insured when rules stay firm.

At some point, the folks who put it on want to be able to prepare and enjoy the event themselves.

It's real simple...don't like it...please don't go. This event sells out in weeks, so don't take up the space if you're not happy with how it is run.

And, for the person who first used the word "idiot" (you know who you are)...that's what started this firestorm. I don't like firestorms. That is also a firm rule.

This thread is closed...enough.