Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-22-2008, 09:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft 427 Stroker, Sterling Gray/Silver
Not Ranked     
Default WSCB Tech Inspection ?'s

This will be my first ever WSCB and I have a few questions about track day.

Is there a check list for the track inspection? I do not want to get to the Fernley Raceway and realize my car is not fully equipped.

Two concerns I have are:

1. My roadster, like many out there, does not have a radiator catch can. Is one mandatory?

2. I have a tiny crack in the lower right corner of the windshield that does not impede my view in any way.

Thanks,

Mike

Last edited by NorCal Cobra; 04-22-2008 at 10:49 AM..
Old 04-22-2008, 09:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX 4766 (Vegas Built) with 482 Aluminum Pond motor
Not Ranked     

The crack in the windshield will have to be taped over with duct tape.

A Coolant Recovery Tank is required for the track event.

http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...8+115&x=26&y=9

The radiator should be flushed of coolant before you arrive at the event and filled with water.
Old 04-22-2008, 10:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft 427 Stroker, Sterling Gray/Silver
Not Ranked     

Thnaks for the info and the part link Morgan!!!!!
Old 04-22-2008, 12:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cutting Edge Replicas, 427 World block SBF, TWM Injection
Not Ranked     

Does the radiator HAVE to be flushed with only plain water or can we use the Redline water wetter stuff?
I don't think the Nugget would appreciate us dumping antifreeze in their parking lot ...
Shell Valley Daytona #27
Old 04-23-2008, 02:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast Cobra w/ Centrifugally Blown Big Block, Pickles, Onions, on a Sesame Seed Bun.
Not Ranked     
Default Oh really, no antifreeze?

No antifreeze? That ought to make the Evans Coolant folks in the group happy; I'm glad someone said something...this is the first I've heard of this.

What do you guys do about water pump seal lubrication? My electric pump manufacturer specifically prohibits the use of pure water due to the lack of lubrication on the seals.

B
Old 04-23-2008, 02:33 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

Water Wetter is fine...you're not putting in enough to make it slimey.

Byron...anit-freeze prohibition is SOP at all tracks. It's greasier and harder to clean up than just about anything if it gets dumped on the track. You can put some back in after the Bash. BTW, it's been mentioned several times in threads and is on the instruction sheet.

I never run it in the Cobra...water cools better, aspecially with some WW. You can use some lube additive available at Pep Boys, AutoZone, etc. for the electric pump. Years of autocrossing taught me that along time ago...hard full bore passes with five to ten minutes of idling on hot concrete for the next pass...ran my Vette and the Cobra on just water and WW, and it stayed cooler with no problemos.

Last edited by Jamo; 04-23-2008 at 02:43 PM..
Old 04-23-2008, 02:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Antifreeze is slicker than greased pig sh!t.

Byron there lubricants you can add in place of the AF.
Old 04-23-2008, 02:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast Cobra w/ Centrifugally Blown Big Block, Pickles, Onions, on a Sesame Seed Bun.
Not Ranked     
Default Instruction sheet

Can you link me to the "instruction sheet" in question? I have the Tech Inspection Form, and that's as much technical detail as I have as to what is required. It sounds like I'm supposed to have something more. If there's an instruction sheet out there, now would be a good time to get it.

As far as arguing about and/or justifying what is used on other tracks; I'm really not interested in a debate, but I can tell you that I've never been required to run pure water...ever, so that's what prompted the surprise. No, I don't run pure antifreeze for obvious reasons; I run water and an additive that is not nearly as lubricious on the tires in failure mode.

If you're allowing water wetter (which is full of lubricant), I'm fine...just as long as running this event doesn't mean replacing my water pump. The instructions say the seals will promptly fry if run without a lube present in the coolant.
Old 04-23-2008, 03:12 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Dude...there will be no arguement. Nobody is interested in debating you.

You posted you had never heard of not being able to use antifreeze(versus running pure water with some lube). That's what was responded to. That is SOP at tracks and dragstrips around the country...sometimes they get lax on car club days at tracks.

Now...you ask questions and folks keep trying to help you by giving you answers, and then you respond as if someone's attacking you.

We're just trying to help you to be ready so you won't have to deal with this stuff last minute.

It has been talked about in a couple of threads for the Bash, but I just noticed the Tech Form for this year refers to "coolant" in the fluid level check. Not using anti-freeze was always made clear in the past Bash trackdays. John...you might want to clarify that.

Let's move on and keep this thing fun.

Last edited by Jamo; 04-23-2008 at 03:17 PM..
Old 04-23-2008, 03:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default No problem...

So there's no additional information I'm missing then, good deal.

That's the source of the irritation. I've had more than one experience where I've done my best to prepare for an event and met the letter of the requirements as they were provided, only to be handed a laundry list at tech to deal with and end up on an easter egg hunt the day of or night before the event. Or, to be told "didn't you read the XYZ information sheet?" that I never got. It's happened more times than I can count, and drives me to drink! Sorry if I sound like I'm expecting the worst, I've just been there too many times I guess. I don't want to be there again on Thursday...I just want to tech the car and get a nod, so help me figure out what the real requirements are please.

So, when you stated there was some additional information that I didn't apparently see, read, get, or follow...I was naturally a little irked.

That said, PLEASE help me prepare; I don't want to debate either.

Is there anything else you can think of that doesn't appear on the "Tech Inspection Form" that is a requirement of this event?

Mirror requirements? Number requirements? Kill switch labeling? Anything?

Last edited by ByronRACE; 04-23-2008 at 03:25 PM..
Old 04-23-2008, 03:47 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

The Tech Form looks fine...some folks use "coolant" as a generic word for whatever's in the cooling system.

Past Bash teching always included a prohibition against anti-freeze. The first year found folks buying distilled water off the shelves at the convenience store nearest the hotel at the last minute. I'm sure some folks slipped through with the greasy stuff...John and I teched everyone by ourselves. We found stuff like loose tools in the trunk, bungee-corded batteries, folks thinking gas pedal springs were "sorta like throttle return springs" and other assorted little things. But everyone stayed cool, nobody got irritated and everybody had fun.

Is there other stuff to be listed/checked? Hey, you're asking an SCCA Safety Steward (let my license lapse two years ago though), so having seen you describe yourself as "anal" I've got to tell you that you don't know what "anal" is. But this is the Bash, so the whole concept is to have fun and be somewhat relaxed without undo pressure but to keep safety as the highest priority.

Folks go out in modern cars (Porsches, Vettes, Vipers, Miatas, etc.) on car club days and things are somewhat lax in terms of tech because they are modern cars with nothing leaking and things like anti-lock brakes and skid controls and modern tires to keep morons from killing themselves.

Cobras are the ultimate freedom...they will gladly allow you to kill yourself due to the lack of safety systems and a high HP-to-brain cell ratio. So, antifreeze on the track with cars that love to swap ends just for sh!ts and giggles is even more of a concern...I've seen comparatively slow moving autocrossers spin like a one-winged fly from somebody's hose breaking.

You'll be fine...no reason for anyone to be black flagged due to a tech issue if the tech sheet is followed. Just dump the coolant.
Old 04-23-2008, 04:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Agreed.

Gladly; no argument about removing unnecessary hazards. I don't run conventional antifreeze / prestone, I run an additive called RC20 and water in the Cobra...which in my testing seems to work even better then WW and feels even less slimey. As long as you're allowing trace-additives in the water, this should be a non issue.

http://www.rc20.com/mm5/merchant.mvc...&Store_Code=RC
Old 04-23-2008, 08:04 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A Blue Car
Not Ranked     
Default No Antifreeze Please.

Ok, here we go again. I guess we are done with helmets?

Sorry for not being clear regarding “coolant.” We’ve made this clear in the past but can understand why there would be a question.

Let me clarify the coolant topic and some general feelings here:

For those folks NOT driving their cobras from colder climates, where antifreeze is a way of life, it’s recommended that All Groups NOT run antifreeze as coolant at our Track Day Event. Please keep in mind, this is a NOVICE event for the most part, so I would like to offer some leniency to folks driving, their cobras, long distance from colder regions only. If the car & driver are that highway worthy, they will be fine at the track. There are track clubs that allow antifreeze in novice/open track groups but it’s never advised. Newer production cars, as Jamo explained so clearly, are more predictable and factory prepped. Cobras are a crapshoot. We have no idea what you’re driving and how it will behave on the track so don't risk it. Again, this is a Novice Event. No One will be driving balls-out or anywhere near that. Just don’t be the one that overheats, blows a hose, and shuts the event down for 20 minutes. Also, as mentioned, antifreeze offers much less heat transfer than water anyway. So if you don’t need it (freezing conditions), don’t use it.

We would expect the more experienced drivers to know that “coolant” does not mean antifreeze when referenced to a race track. Along with all the realities of the stuff mentioned, when someone spews it all over the track, the course shuts down, pain in the ass to clean up, and costs everyone track time. That’s not fun. The stuff usually comes out in front of your car and heads straight for your tires. Before you can get your mouth open, you go from grip to zip, and so does everyone behind you. And that’s no fun either.

If you are conscientious about the condition of your car, checked everything and fixed what needed fixing, there should be no problem, ok? Hoses, clamps, and all fluid containment is a very important part of teching your own car. You know your car’s tendencies better than we do so try to think along those lines in preparation for the track. If you have concerns, let us know. If you see your temp gauge going up on the track, for heaven’s sake, come into the pits. We can help you. We had a guy last year blow slime on the track which caused several spins.

We are simply asking folks to please be responsible for their equipment. We are out on the track together, like a Family. We trust and look out for each other. That is how it’s done and how it should be done.

My recipe:

Pull lower radiator hose and drain.
If you want to flush with water, good. If not, ok too. Should change coolant regularly anyway.
Reconnect hose.
Add 1 bottle of WW.
Fill system with “distilled” water, warm up, burp, add, done.
Your motor will run cooler and thank you for it.

As for other related tech issues, Jamo covered them with extra emphasis on having FUN and being SAFE. There is a point where too much information causes anxiety for a new driver. Some people actually invent stuff to anxt over. I don’t want anyone feeling stressed-out like they need to, or should, know every possible mechanical nuance or track scenario. Let us worry about that. Most of this is common sense with simple guidance.

Finally, here’s a perfect example of a well-prepared car & driver on course. Please use this picture as a reference. Seriously, if you were the driver seen here, would you have any questions about your car’s condition, preparation, or your safety equipment? Let us know if you do.

Thanks and talk soon, John

Old 04-23-2008, 08:35 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Well yeah, as a matter of fact.

The car's fine...it's the driver.

His elbow's hanging out the car, his head's above the rollbar, he's skating by without a driver's suit (but he's wearing cotton) and it would be better if he was wearing a full face helmet.

In his defense, he's way too big for the phuking car, and he's actually on a straight, which means his fat ass is killing the suspension. Also, he can't fit his fat head in a full face helmet, asspecially with his full velcro-like terrorist beard.

Bite me.

Last edited by Jamo; 04-23-2008 at 08:45 PM..
Old 04-23-2008, 09:02 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A Blue Car
Not Ranked     

Folks, please disregard Jamo’s last remarks. Not at all the case.
Old 04-23-2008, 09:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Lol

Now that was funny Jamo; thanks for the laugh! If elbows aren't allowed, then I promise I won't drive balls out; that would definitely be frowned upon.

B

Last edited by ByronRACE; 04-23-2008 at 09:48 PM..
Old 04-23-2008, 09:25 PM
Regularly Offensive
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: spf
Not Ranked     

Jamo, now that you mention it......you do look like a terrorist.........but who is profilling?

Too close for missles, switching to guns.........
Old 04-24-2008, 11:41 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR
Not Ranked     

Hey give Chewbacca a break! He can probably out run most others even with the weight ratio!
So, uh, John do I have to empty out the antifreeze in my mountain/high altitude Cobra just for the photo track thing?????
Old 04-24-2008, 02:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

high HP-to-brain cell ratio.

I love that line...
unfortunately it fits for me.