LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2012, 10:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #647 brushed
Not Ranked     
Default Registering in Illinois

Hey folks,

My build is getting close to the end so I need to start the registration process... which I'm not looking forward to. I have been in contact with Mark, who has a Kirkham like us, about his experience with registration (thank you much Mark!).
I wanted to hear from you guys who have done the whole process "recently" on where to go, who to talk to, etc... I have found a lot of the documents required through the Sema page, and I-Dot page.
I'm located in Dundee area (Elgin area), but willing to drive a bit if it makes the process that much better and less of a mess.

Thank you for any inputs and I look forward to meeting up with you guys when the car will finally be done.

Arno
Old 03-08-2012, 12:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default registration

I am 1 1/2 weeks after my inspection by the SOS police facility in Villa Park. I began last September with the Lombard and Naperville SOS offices. Both of these facilities told me they could only help me by sending all the reqiured paper work on to the SOS Police in Springfield. This is where it became problematic. Several mailings and multiple phone calls to Springfield and more agravation than I will type, I was finally put in communication with the SOS Police facility in Villa Park. The SOS Police facilities are very different than the SOS license offices. They were also more helpful and knowledgable than Springfield. I can only tell you my saga I hope yours will be easier.
You can contact me at jhoward2401@att.net
Old 03-10-2012, 04:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 903 - Backdraft RT3B - 4.6 DOHC SC
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSC-ZL1 View Post
I am 1 1/2 weeks after my inspection by the SOS police facility in Villa Park. I began last September with the Lombard and Naperville SOS offices. Both of these facilities told me they could only help me by sending all the reqiured paper work on to the SOS Police in Springfield. This is where it became problematic. Several mailings and multiple phone calls to Springfield and more agravation than I will type, I was finally put in communication with the SOS Police facility in Villa Park. The SOS Police facilities are very different than the SOS license offices. They were also more helpful and knowledgable than Springfield. I can only tell you my saga I hope yours will be easier.
You can contact me at jhoward2401@att.net

As avmavaitor mentioned, I am ready to start the process of registering my backdraft cobra and wanted to know of any gotcha's ahead of time. From reading your experience I fear working with the DMV as my first experience to answer any questions was.... "you need to send it to Springfield".

Sounds like it is best to head over to the facility in villa park to submit my application for registration in person?

In the end is that what you ended up doing?
Old 03-11-2012, 06:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 983 392 430hp/450T, World Class T5
Not Ranked     

I had a terrible time also and It took over 2 months to finally get my temp plate. I had to fill out a couple of forms, send in forms with pics of all 4 sides, CErtificate of origin, payment of taxes and fees, explanation of how car was built, receipts for major parts, etc... It is all on the form you need to submit. The issue is the form is something they can be e-mail to you but they tell you on phone they need to mail you a packet. The packet took over 2 weeks to get and when I got it was everything I already had. It consisted of instructions, Illinois tax form and registration form. They sent the wrong tax form in 1st packet...they are not very bright. I then sent in everything and waited. You can call them and they don't call back. If you get lucky nd happen to talk to someone in Springfield they will tell you they will get to it eventually. About 6 weeks later you get a call from the SOS police to come and inspect it. The police were very good and came out to inspect within a couple of days. At that point they send paperwork to Springfield and a couple of weeks later you get your temp.

Springfield could speed this up a lot but get a kick out of Making you wait. They could e-mail you forms and instructions or at least tell you that forms are available at DMV. Don't sit on paperwork for weeks. Issue temp at local DMV after inspection,etc...

Oh by the way, my title showed up a body style as a pick up. That had to be sent in and fixed which was another mess. Like I said, they are not too bright.

Something needs to be done here in Illinois as a whole and now that we are starting to throw the crooked politicians in jail that is a start, but we have a long way to go.

Last edited by snowgoer; 03-11-2012 at 06:33 AM..
Old 03-11-2012, 08:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default registering

My trials were with the civilian bureaucrat in Springfield. Nicholas, who seems to be the person in Springfield to get your paperwork, is clueless. I had several phone conversations with him and at first he seemed helpful, but then his lack of knowledge kicked in. He asked what car the crate motor came out of. He then asked for the build dates of the motor and trans. He had the receipts for both of these. Then he claimed that he didn't ask for those but wanted me to write in my build explanation who built the frame and body. I sent a copy of the manufacturers build sheet on the car in the original mailing. This clearly stated that a partial turn-key rolling kit was supplied by the manufacturer. The state's agent doesn't understand that a complete roller includes a rolling chassis and body, why is he doing this job? Anyway, it is now 2 weeks since my inspection in Villa Park. I still do not have my plates or title. I am sure that this is because of Springfield.
I think if I were to do this over again, I might just drive down to Springfield and hand deliver the paper work. My only fear would be losing it with the state rep.
The Villa Park facility is an inspection station and doesn't really handle the paper work, but they were helpful with information.
Good Luck and start early.
Be careful on the St44 tax form, If you have a greater than $600 tax due, it has to be paid within 30 days of the purchase not filing time.
Old 03-11-2012, 12:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: EM, Buick V6, FFR Spyder, Buick V6
Send a message via AIM to TurboVenom
Not Ranked     

Yeah, I got caught up in that same tax cluster****. Tell 'em you haven't paid for the big parts yet, not until you get the licenses and title.

FFR Spyder

EM Cobra

Bumble Bee

Everett Morrison built in 1995, 78,000 miles
FFR Spyder built in 2004
Both with Buick V6 turbo engines
11.40 @ 118 in the EM Cobra
11.99 @ 119 first time out in the Spyder

It's only funny until someone gets hurt.
Then it's friggin hilarious!
Old 03-12-2012, 05:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 903 - Backdraft RT3B - 4.6 DOHC SC
Not Ranked     

Thanks for the replies.... and appreciate the feedback.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shell Valley Cobra Kit -428 Fe Built by Clayton Racing Engines
Not Ranked     

A little info on what is happening down state and it may give you an insite . A number of state DMV employees where transferred down state at the height of the licence for bribes mess . The States Attorney knew that these people where in on this but it would be to costly to prosecute them one at a time , so they thought if they transvered them to Springfield from Chicago they would Quit , problem solved. Well they wanted there pensions so they moved to Springfield . Now Jesse White did not want them either so they are caught in the middle . Now at the same time a real debacle story broke out from a three year investigation of stolen Kit Cars , false title information ,under valuations ect. being used by owners in New York , Connecticut and New Jersey . This lead to criminal charges with Currency exchanges owner going to jail and a Warning report was sent out to other states as to" Kit Cars" where the problem . Start to see the picture here DMV employees with there jobs in danger and combined with this Report know one wants to touch them at the Springfield office.
Yes a number of Kit Car owners where cheating on taxes , gave false registration info. and they got caught ;and this long buck passing tap dance program at present is the resolt. I gave testimony and was interviewed by all three states DMV lawyers by phone and spent 11,000 dollars, 9 trips into Daily Center in court proceedings had to post a bond , over that three year time span. As it turned out my Cobra was involved in a floor plan deception by a dealer in Connecticut . Four Cobras where impounded in New York . This is what lead to the investigation in to Kit Cars . I seen Cobras registrated as 65 Fairlanes , Customized Mustangs and 60,000 dollar Kits with 5000 dollar valuations used for taxing. Yes cheaters ruined it for everyone not the the DMV,s .
Old 03-13-2012, 05:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: shell valley cobra-350 chevy
Not Ranked     

Hey Arno, I have a Shell Valley that I bought from them in 01 and finally thought it was road worthy in early 06. Looked at the "procedure" on line and my first thing to do was get a guy from the National Street Rod Association
to check it out and fill out a check list that it is built correctly and everything functions. I passed everything besides being scared. Then I took every paper I had(must be original so make copys for yourself) -And hand them to someone who you hope knows whats going on. Then in 07 I got my title.
I hope you run into the right person who knows how to do it properly.
I thought is was going to a big pain but as I said it went pretty smooth.
You'll be fine, man
Russ
Old 03-19-2012, 01:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Mk III
Not Ranked     

I am going through the registration process right now. It is really simple, just very time consuming so I hope you're not in a hurry. Contact Nicholas at the Sec of State office 217-785-4692 and he will send you an application packet.
Old 03-25-2012, 05:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks guys, appreciate the info. I will be sending in my stuff soon as the car is almost done.

Arno
Old 03-25-2012, 06:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Illinois Registration

I'm done. I received my title for a 1967 cobra on Friday. My vanity plates came on Saturday. I began this process back in the middle of October,2011 and I think the most knowledgeable and helpful people in the process were the SOS police inspection group in Villa Park.
I would be very complete and detailed in your build explanation letter because I think the Springfield people are not very hot-rod minded.
Good luck and start early.
Old 04-03-2012, 02:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Got the registration packet Nicholas down in Springfield (Thanks ehodger).

Overall pretty simple, some vague information requests but should be ok.

The tax thing is BS (what a couple of you have brought up with needing to pay taxes on the purchases within 30 days of receiving the item), but I'll see if there is a way around it.

The car is not totally done but I think I'll mock it up for the 4 required pictures, and send everything in.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Butler Cobra. 350 Chevy Engine, blueprinted, heads cc'd, ported, polished, manifolds matched, big valves, 1.6 roller rockers, TB Injected, mild cam, MSD crank trigger electronic ignition. TKO-600 transmission. XKE Jaguar rear. IFS by Fast Cars
Not Ranked     
Default Illinois Sales Tax payment on cobra builds

Being ignorant of Illinois sales tax law is not an excuse. So how does one correct the mistake if sales tax was not paid within the 30 day window.

Seems reasonable that you would pay tax when the car was completed and you applied for the license and title. But that does not seem to be the law.

It would be a major blunder if you got the kit/components a couple of years before you finished the build and applied for the title & plates.

How many people that have built custom cars face this tax issues and how have they resolved their cases.

Are there any Illinois Sales Tax gurus reading this forum?
Old 04-12-2012, 10:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Butler Cobra. 350 Chevy Engine, blueprinted, heads cc'd, ported, polished, manifolds matched, big valves, 1.6 roller rockers, TB Injected, mild cam, MSD crank trigger electronic ignition. TKO-600 transmission. XKE Jaguar rear. IFS by Fast Cars
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooster View Post
Hey Arno, I have a Shell Valley that I bought from them in 01 and finally thought it was road worthy in early 06. Looked at the "procedure" on line and my first thing to do was get a guy from the National Street Rod Association
to check it out and fill out a check list that it is built correctly and everything functions. I passed everything besides being scared. Then I took every paper I had(must be original so make copys for yourself) -And hand them to someone who you hope knows whats going on. Then in 07 I got my title.
I hope you run into the right person who knows how to do it properly.
I thought is was going to a big pain but as I said it went pretty smooth.
You'll be fine, man
Russ
Russ, did you know about the sales tax in 2001 and did you pay it then, or did you resolve it in 2007?

Arthur
Old 05-06-2012, 04:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

What did you guys put in the registration for "Make"? The instructions are somewhat misleading as it says "vehicle actual make or make of the car it is made to resemble". But in their example "a 1966 Cobra replica would be: Make: Cobra, Model: Custom Vehicle, Year: 1966"

Cobra is not a make. For us it would either be Shelby, Kirkham, or AC?... what do you folks think?
Old 05-06-2012, 08:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 289 FIA #690, FRPP 427 Boss engine
Not Ranked     

I'm in PA and while the process is similar, it usually only takes 3weeks from inspection to title. I say usually as the DMV lost my paperwork (after they cashed the large tax check of course). Since we don't go through the DMV directly in PA, but through a private title and tags notary, they are working with the DMV to track down my paperwork. It's been 6 weeks for me and hopefully it will be resolved soon. My point in posting is to tell you to make copies of everything!
Kirkham #690 289 FIA
Old 05-11-2012, 09:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Mark IV, 4.6 DOHC
Not Ranked     

Mine is listed as a FFR, so i would assume you should go with Kirkham.
Old 05-12-2012, 05:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I have two reproduction vars in Illinois in the last five years. The NHRA was responsible for the actual inspection. Personally walked the paper work through the Springfield. Since the the process has changed. Now the State Police are involved in the inspection process.

The tax is a real annoyance. Ideally one would pay the taxes upon receipt of the kit. If paid at the time title is sought, a penalty will be assessed for the late payment from the time the kit came into Illinois to the payment date.

Patience, detailed description of build, good pics, all help.

I will know more about the process when I start the process for the Cobra we are building now.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Smile

Little update, I sent in all the paperwork two weeks ago, got a call from Nicholas in the SOS office a week later verifying a few things (the "make" needs to be the brand of the car, not cobra. So in my case it is a 65 Kirkham)
Just got a call from the State Police wanting to come inspecat the car. The person is coming on Tuesday After that, we'll see how long it takes to get the plates....

Now I really need to finish the details on the car!