Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2012, 10:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Shelby Cobra 408W
Not Ranked     
Default New FFR Owner to Be

I have been reading the forum here for several months and have really enjoyed learning so much about these great cars. I decided to pull the trigger and bought a factory five roadster with a levy racing 408ci from seller in St. Louis. I can either register / pay the taxes in MO (where I still have family) or I could do it all in IL (I currently live in Chicago). Does anyone on here have some advise on the best process here. The car is currently titles as a 2004 Special Construction in Missouri.

Any help is appreciated and I am looking forward to learning more from this group.

-Ryan
Old 12-25-2012, 06:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR - Blue W/ Silver Stripe
Not Ranked     

Ryan
First welcome to the madness; if you live in the Chicago area you should really join our little group. The holiday party is fast approaching and you would certainly be more than welcome.
As for where to register. These rules seem to be constantly changing or at least are subject to re-interpretation. I believe it is still true that in Illinois if it is titled as a 2004 you will be subjected to State testing for pollution etc. That is you would have to pass the emissions test based on whatever the standard for a 2004 automobile might be.
Suffice to say that is not good. My FFR is titled as a new 1965 model. Realize I took ownership of the kit in Illinois and had a certificate of origin that said it was a 1965 etc.
I do know there is a process to get these cars titled as the year they 'most closely resemble' ie a 1965. I know a number of the club members have gone throughout the process. Maybe one of them will chime in and tell about how to do it and how difficult it might have been.
Again welcome to the madness I look forward to meeting you at one of our events. First, the most important question of all....... What color is your car?
Old 12-25-2012, 08:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, supercharged Coyote
Not Ranked     

Moving any vehicle from one state to the another has always been a pain in the behind. VIN inspections, pictures, new title, smog tests, etc. Some states more than others, of course. If you keep the registration in MO, you'll save some hassle.
NASA Rocky Mountain TTU #42
www.RacingtheExocet.com
BDR #1642 - Supercharged Coyote, 6 speed Auto
Old 12-25-2012, 12:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby American CSX 8000 Slab Side series, 289 High Pro , Eight Stack EFI system ,TKO500
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcowan View Post
Moving any vehicle from one state to the another has always been a pain in the behind. VIN inspections, pictures, new title, smog tests, etc. Some states more than others, of course. If you keep the registration in MO, you'll save some hassle.
I would agree, but for how long may you drive the car in Il.with Mo. tags? In Texas it's 30 days. There must be a way to have it reg. in Il. without going though the smog test etc.
think your neighbors have too many kids.
Old 12-25-2012, 06:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR, 347, 462 hp, 4 barrel
Not Ranked     

I bought mine in MO and then moved the title to IL. It was listed as a 1965 already in MO, so that helped. I live in Rockford and am not part of the emissions testing program (they seem to think Rockford is cleaner than Chicago). I went through this 5 years ago, so some things may have changed.

I want to invite you to the WCCC Holiday Party on Jan 26 at 5:30. Please see the post I just made giving details about this event. You may also email me at cobradreamer@gmail.com and we can get you in the event and hopefully the club.

Lee
Old 12-30-2012, 10:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Shelby Cobra 408W
Not Ranked     

Thanks for all the replays! Finally bought the car, and it is sitting in the St. Louis area until the spring time at which point I will drive it up here. So I have between now and the spring time to figure out all the licencing / registration / etc. Hearing about it having to pass emissions is not good at all - for some reason I doubt this thing will pass any emissions test. The holiday party sounds like a good time, Lee I will drop you an e-mail to touch base.

I suppose I should just call and get this process started because it sounds like it may be a complete pain in the rear.

If anyone else has some info or the best person to chat with about getting it re-titled as a 1965 - please let me know. Thanks for the warm welcome.

-Ryan
Old 01-01-2013, 09:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ACE, 351W, 3550 Tremec, Raging(?) Red W/ White Stripe.
Not Ranked     

Ryan, I wouldn't worry about the emissions test, especially if you could re-title it as a '65.
When I bought mine from a fellow club member in 2005, he had to sign an IEPA waiver every year, a form that stated that the Cobra was a show car or a race car.
After I bought it and changed the owner information on it, still listed as a 1994, I have not gotten the IEPA form, ever.

Ralph
Old 01-05-2013, 09:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #253 Silver/Black 358 Windsor
Not Ranked     

I see plenty of cars in Chicago residential areas with Indiana plates and I seriously doubt all of them live across the border.

When I got my Cobra, it was purchased in a different county. At the end of the year, C(r)ook County wanted their piece of the sales tax. This year, when we got a new truck (to tow the cars), we were told they finally changed the rules and you pay the tax on the county you live in.

I wouldn't worry about the emissions, although it's fun to show up at the emission place and watch the guys try to figure out what to do while drooling all over the car!

Hope to meet you at the holiday party. It will be a great time to meet everyone!

Tags
408, cobra replica purchase, ffr, registration