Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2016, 03:27 AM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Newbie Needs Guidance

Hello all-

Confession...I am a AC Cobra rookie. Go easy on me.

I live in "poor man's" Lake Geneva(Lauderdale Lakes, WI). I am going to be purchasing a used AC Cobra replica before May of 2017. HOWEVER, need to the cost to "get through committee" (my wife) with as little pain as possible. I don't want to jump on a plane and fly to rural Arizona and get stuck with a lemon. Would like to purchase locally and keep the cost to under $20k. Doesn't need to be a 427, virtually indifferent on color(prefer guardsman's blue), willing to buy a higher mileage car if it has been well-maintained, obviously don't want anything that leaks oil or has any other mechanical defects. Don't want anything that has been spent its life on a track or wrecked. Prefer to purchase from original owner/builder. I do have a friend that is an engineer and has built an AC Cobra (I will be bringing him "in tow" - pun intended) to review the car.

Anyone know of someone looking to sell their Cobra in the Greater Chicagoland/WI area?

Thanks-

Dave
Old 12-03-2016, 05:28 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee View Post
I am going to be purchasing a used AC Cobra replica before May of 2017. HOWEVER, need to the cost to "get through committee" (my wife) with as little pain as possible. I don't want to ... get stuck with a lemon. Would like to purchase locally and keep the cost to under $20k.
Dave, I got news for you... anything under twenty grand is going to be a POS lemon. Do yourself a favor and save your money and revisit the issue in a few years.
Dwight likes this.
Old 12-03-2016, 06:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

Dave,

I would agree with Patrick, wait and try to save up a little more money. It will be tough to find something in that price range that will be "arrive and drive." It will more than likely have a lot of donor parts and you will have to go through it thoroughly to see what might need replacing. It is possible that you could find one in which the owner is desperate and needs some cash to get out of the car.

Not sure on how you plan on financing the purchase, or if you plan on paying cash. Very few banks will allow a car loan on a custom built vehicle. A lot of people pay cash, use some retirement money, or a home equity loan to purchase their vehicle.

You probably will not find too many cars on this site or Cobra Country for sale in your price range. You could check yor local Craigslist and see.

Good luck and let us know what you decide on.
Dwight likes this.
Old 12-03-2016, 09:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B & B 289
Not Ranked     
Default What to expect if you do.....

Paid just north of your price range for mine which looked great and was advertised as needing nothing. not really a build thread...... Is the link to what i went thru. Better expect sumpin like this. Good luck!
Old 12-03-2016, 11:02 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by indianamoon View Post
Paid just north of your price range for mine which looked great and was advertised as needing nothing. not really a build thread...... Is the link to what i went thru. Better expect sumpin like this. Good luck!
Dave, if you're not a reasonably experienced mechanic, and you do what indianamoon did, then make sure you take out a nice life insurance policy so your "committee," and her next husband, can at least benefit from your mistake.
RedSnake351 and Gee like this.
Old 12-03-2016, 11:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates/Shell Valley Street Cobra
Not Ranked     

You can buy a very nice C5 Corvette for that money, even a Z06. They are world class sports cars that are very dependable and can be driven in nearly any weather (but seldom are) and are very economical to maintain, fuel and insure and finance.

If you want a replica cobra, you need to be very honest with yourself about it's limitations and your intended use. Think motorcycle.

If you are willing to shop nation wide, you might find a good one for $45K plus the cost of a inspection ($300) and enclosed shipping at $3/mile.

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out...
Old 12-04-2016, 12:57 PM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Thanks...critical features

Hi guys!

Appreciate all of the insights. Thank you

Indianamoon that link is enough to terrorize me for weeks!

Looks like I am going to have to dig a little deeper for the Cobra. From some scouring various sites it looks like there should be options around $30k? ($45k is out of the question) Any other tips as I do my research? Features that are critical or not at that price point? Beyond basic oil changes and spark plugs on my boat and occasionally changing a lightbulb I am not incredibly mechanically inclined.

-Dave

Last edited by Gee; 12-04-2016 at 01:01 PM..
Old 12-04-2016, 01:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 824 with 470 FE BBM street 427
Not Ranked     

Dave,
I'm coming back to this after a 15 year hiatus--I was very close to pulling the trigger 15 years ago, but didn't and am glad, as I would have likely been left with a bunch of expensive parts that would be worth pennies on the dollar if I sold them (which I would have needed to do).

I tend to agree with others here--at that price you're going to get a project--it will be an older, lower end kit. Even north of $30k you're looking at a pretty non-authentic car.

Have you checked into other ways to feed the fever--used car, hot rod?

Last edited by ACHiPo; 12-04-2016 at 09:03 PM..
Old 12-04-2016, 01:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

You should easily be able to find something in the $30K price range. Before deciding on a cobra, check with your mechanic to see how famliiar they are at working on carbs and in settling valve lash. If they are not used to working on carbs, then you may want to lean towards a fuel injected car. If they are not used to setting valve lash, then you may want to steer away from getting a car with solid lifters. A lot depends on how much you want to learn to do yourself. Setting valve lash is not that difficult, and you can learn to adjust a carb.

If you find something that you are interested in, take pictures and describe it here and people will let you know what they think, whether you want to hear it or not

Good luck. There are a lot of them on the market right now, so it is a good time to negotiate. Just make sure you go for a ride in any car that you are interested in. If they will not take you out for arid, then wanly away.
Old 12-04-2016, 07:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Before you look at buying something, get with some local owners and look at their cars. Go for a couple rides too. Most owners are more than willing to share their experiences with their cars and you'll get a better idea of what you're getting into.
Larry
RedSnake351 likes this.
Old 12-04-2016, 09:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 824 with 470 FE BBM street 427
Not Ranked     

Dave,
I forgot my manners--welcome!
AC
Old 12-05-2016, 05:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 65 Cobra w/351W
Not Ranked     

I purchased my Cobra this past May. It's a lesser known brand (Legendary). I paid under $25K. It only had about 4K miles but was 20 yrs old. Took the original owner 15 yrs to build. Here's the kicker - it had sat outside in Phoenix under a cloth cover for THREE YEARS! The old guy who owned it had been put in a home by his family and they were selling off everything. I knew all of this going into it and am a decent mechanic.

I have spent upwards of $4K in replacing everything that was dry rotten and repairing wiring nightmares. Just needs paint now and it will be stunning. When I'm done should have about $30K in her.

I've learned a great deal and have had a blast. Met some of the most amazing people and have gone on some awesome journeys. So glad I did it.

It depends on how much blood sweat and busted knuckles you want. Dollars -v- Sweat.

AZ Cobra Mike

Ps. Found mine on Hemmings.com

Last edited by AZ Cobra Mike; 12-05-2016 at 05:37 PM..
Old 12-24-2016, 10:06 AM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Thanks AZ Cobra Mike

Thanks AZ Cobra Mike. I don't give-up easily. Have a lead one that is similar to the one your purchased. Has 60k on the engine but was babied by a mechanical engineer who built it. Hope to be a Cobra owner by May!
Old 12-24-2016, 09:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Scratch built CSX style frame, Carbon fiber body, 393 Stroker, T-bird IRS, T5
Not Ranked     

There are deals to be had in your price range if you are patient, keep your eyes open, have cash to make an immediate offer when you find the right car, and this is the important part- know when you have found the right car. That last sentence will require some education on what to look for when shopping for Cobras, which you should always do when shopping for these unique cars unless you enjoy a long, painful relationship- kind of like that girl you don't bring home to mother.....

Good luck on your search.

Bob
Old 12-25-2016, 07:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, 1964 289->Webers
Not Ranked     

Nope, These cars are not a 2017 Toyota. I'd suggest you put some time in behind a wrench or, have the budget to include a mechanic in your life. The car's need to be put up for the winter & tinkered with, from time to time. & thats a car that you have had built, new. They leak. They smell. They hiccup from time to time. They are, essentially, old cars. & they can be the most thrilling thing in your life. But, don't expect it to be all roses, once you throw down money for a car on a budget. There is a reason some cars cost $60 to $150k. That about what it takes to build a really nice car.
Old 12-25-2016, 08:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #522
Not Ranked     

Best not to set a firm deadline with your budget. Give it a couple years, good deals can be had. My search took over 3 years and netted an older Superformance, in good condition, for 31K.
Old 12-25-2016, 09:35 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by vatdevil View Post
Best not to set a firm deadline with your budget. Give it a couple years, good deals can be had. My search took over 3 years and netted an older Superformance, in good condition, for 31K.
My search trek took just under twenty years. Granted, I was not searching every day, nor in earnest, during that period, but I did keep my eye on the market and my toe near the water.
Old 12-28-2016, 04:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR, 347, 462 hp, 4 barrel
Not Ranked     

I know of several in the Chicage area that have been thinking of selling. I sent them an email about your post. So stay tuned. All of these guys are good guys and you should mention my name.

Lee
Old 12-31-2016, 09:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ACE, 351W, 3550 Tremec, Raging(?) Red W/ White Stripe.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRRCobradreamer View Post
I know of several in the Chicage area that have been thinking of selling. I sent them an email about your post. So stay tuned. All of these guys are good guys and you should mention my name.

Lee
Lee, keep me informed also, I need an Illinois car. Tired of hauling mine back and forth to AZ. Don't tell my wife!

Ralphie
Renlady likes this.
Old 01-01-2017, 04:18 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster
Not Ranked     
Default I am interested in selling

The older I get, the faster I was........

So now I'm so fast apparently I appear to be standing still.