14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2006, 03:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett Morrison, Chevy 454, Tremec 550, C4 Vette susp and coilovers
Not Ranked     
Lightbulb Oxygen sensor

Re: Chevy 454, 9.5:1, Holley 750, Air Gap intake, MSD ignition, 2inch headers

I am going to put an oxygen sensor port in each header; any recommendation for which cylinders to choose, one left bank, one right. I do not want to use the side pipes.

My thought is that 3,5,2,4 have better flow than 1,7,2,8; therefore the fuel stays suspended better and more complete combustion occurs; this would use the oxygen better and give slightly lower Ox readings.

Any thoughts?

Jim
Old 07-04-2006, 08:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #177 Carbed Ford Small Block
Not Ranked     

Where is Jerry??
Old 07-04-2006, 08:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison LS1
Not Ranked     

You called Jeff?
Old 07-04-2006, 08:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Jim

Why don't you want to use the side pipes?
Old 07-04-2006, 08:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ACE, 351W, 3550 Tremec, Raging(?) Red W/ White Stripe.
Not Ranked     
Question

Jim, Jerry Clayton must still be sleeping, otherwise he would have already responded!
Crash
Old 07-04-2006, 08:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I've been studying Jim's posts--they are all at around 5 AM--doesn't he know there isn't any oxygen at that time---oxygen occurrs as an catilitic event after 2 or 3 cups of coffee

Jerry
Old 07-04-2006, 08:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

OOOOPS! I see while I was doing my SLOW typing, Jerry won the speed typing contest.
Old 07-04-2006, 08:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

You were just admiring the new girls in your photo gallery
Old 07-04-2006, 09:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Talking Girls, did anyone mention Girls?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Clayton
You were just admiring the new girls in your photo gallery
Boy, you are sharp Jerry, nothing escapes you, especially having to do with GIRLS!
Crash
Old 07-04-2006, 03:20 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobray-C3, The 60's body lines on todays chassis technology
Not Ranked     

For my 2 cents I ran into a lot of grief with 02 sensor placement on my toy. I did not want it to be visable so the options were limited. You want it as close to the engine as possible to for more accurate readings. As you get farther away from head you loose heat quickly and this will skew reading I found out the hard way. You also want to install sensor so moisture runs away from it rather than into the sensor from condensate. After getting readings I did not believe I moved mine to the rear most tubes on each side (ran 2 sensors) thinking the rear cyl. would be the hottest so would be most effected by lean settings first.
Wound up with sensor about 18 inches down from the header head flange . This placement changed my readings by (.20) OR leaner than when in sidepipe without and setting change. So just placing closer to the head changed my display from .84 to .64 and that was about where I expected I was at. There was just no way I was running as rich as what it was trlling me when in the sidepipe just after the last 90 degree turn.
Old 07-05-2006, 03:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett Morrison, Chevy 454, Tremec 550, C4 Vette susp and coilovers
Not Ranked     

Why don't you want to use the side pipes?I do not like the look of the sensor sticking out the side of the pipe and I do not have the ground clearance to put it on the bottom.

I've been studying Jim's posts--they are all at around 5 AM--doesn't he know there isn't any oxygen at that time---oxygen occurrs as an catilitic event after 2 or 3 cups of coffeeFor some reason, age or jet lag, not sure which, I am often up before 5; also at this time of the day I hear less complaints about the time I am spending on this hobby.

Jim
Old 07-05-2006, 07:48 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobray-C3, The 60's body lines on todays chassis technology
Not Ranked     

Jim,
I too am a early AM person but 5 oclock is not good and 7 oclock for the other side is not good either. The only way to clock the sensors so they are the least visable and still protected is to place in the bottom inside of the sidepipe. This does protect from getting hit and from being seen for the most part but exposes to contaminates every time it goes through a cold start up and too some degree all other times as gravity does its thing. Placing in the lower 5 or 7 oclock position means the sensor is in the lowest part of pipe and becomes a water trap. WATER ??? what the hell is this guy talking about, water ? At cold start up condensation occurs from the cold to hot transition. Yep it is hot enough to dry out in a reasonable time but it is not only the few CC's of water but the crap it washes to the new water trap in the system that will lessen then kill the sensor after time.
Go too any of the aftermarket kit installation instructions and read the warnings about placement. The common area of multiple cyl. EX. gas is best as it gives you an average and not just the 1 cyl. it sees if in a single tube = BUT.
After several installs and seeing first hand results I found the rear tubes on either side it fits best gave me the most accurate results. I have installed dual sensors on a car in the rear tubes from concern about single cyl. readings but in the end found they were always so close to each other just not worth trouble and expense. A single FAST sensor works for me in #8 as a rule. Good luck and have fun.
Old 07-05-2006, 03:13 PM
Beam Me Up Scottie
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF1049 Titanium w/black stripes, 351W with Trick Flow Heads, Tremec 3550
Send a message via MSN to wtm442
Not Ranked     

I always thought the O2 sensor should be located in the header extension, not in an individual runner. But what do I know ... its all second hand
Old 07-06-2006, 06:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: EM, Buick V6, FFR Spyder, Buick V6
Send a message via AIM to TurboVenom
Not Ranked     

Place your sensor bung as close to the collector as you can. You should face it inward so as to keep it out of sight, don't place it under the pipe. It should be parallel to the ground, or upward from that position if possible. Putting it on one port won't work as it will give you incorrect readings.

Sensors must be 900 deg F to be properly active. Less than that temperature will skew the voltage readings and make your car run excessively rich. Cooler temperatures lower the mv readings.
I would recommend a heated sensor - four wire - for that application as the free-flowing sidepipes reduce the exhaust temperatures. And, depending on what fuel control system you plan to use, you will need either one or two...put ports on each side just in case.

My personal recommendation is the use of a wideband sensor and a fuel control system such as the XFI or FAST system.
John

FFR Spyder

EM Cobra

Bumble Bee

Everett Morrison built in 1995, 78,000 miles
FFR Spyder built in 2004
Both with Buick V6 turbo engines
11.40 @ 118 in the EM Cobra
11.99 @ 119 first time out in the Spyder

It's only funny until someone gets hurt.
Then it's friggin hilarious!
Old 07-06-2006, 06:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Jim,

Check out the second photo in my gallery--Yeh, I know its a 32 5 window ford but, I built the headers and side pipes as if it was a 32 Cobra---see the hole in the frame hole by the collector? That is where the O2 sensor comes thru for the FAST system--Can't see it--proves that it is hardly noticeable!!!!

Anyway, if you are going to run a carb you will only need the sensor while you are tuning it--you can weld in a bung and then put a plug it in

Jerry
Old 07-07-2006, 07:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yes, I am only using the oxy sensor to tune the carb. A few laps at 1.0+ Gs around the carousel at Road America might motivate me to change to fuel injection.

I am using the wide band 4 wire version sensor.

Thanks for the ideas.

Jim
Old 07-07-2006, 08:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: EM, Buick V6, FFR Spyder, Buick V6
Send a message via AIM to TurboVenom
Not Ranked     

Wideband sensors have 5 wires, and with the calibration resistor, 7 wires total. You probably have a narrow band heated sensor if it has four wires.

John

FFR Spyder

EM Cobra

Bumble Bee

Everett Morrison built in 1995, 78,000 miles
FFR Spyder built in 2004
Both with Buick V6 turbo engines
11.40 @ 118 in the EM Cobra
11.99 @ 119 first time out in the Spyder

It's only funny until someone gets hurt.
Then it's friggin hilarious!