Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > 429/460 Engine Talk

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 02-22-2012, 02:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default solid roller in 429/460?

Anybody running a solid roller cam in your 385? Looking for the sound (sewing machine) and the way these cams make the motors spin,quick rpm rise.Looking for suggestions or problems.
Old 02-22-2012, 03:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

Pretty common for the higher horsepower engines I do.

Have your heads been worked on at all? The only issue with going with a larger cam is that you can potentially move the powerband out of the range of the cylinder heads. When you shift the curves to the right with a mismatched cam, you lose bottom end and then you lose top end both.

The other issue with a solid roller is the longevity. It's not much of a problem in a "toy car", but even the best solid roller lifters are recommended to be inspected/changed every 7500-10000 miles.

With that being said, I can pull to 6500 with a hydraulic roller and the correct valve springs. Any cam with a curve focused on the mid/upper rpm range will make an engine feel like it's "coming on" harder.

Check out the video of one of my 529ci engines with a hydraulic roller....as you can tell, it wants to come on hard at the end. It's the one at the very bottom of the page.

B2 Motorsports LLC
Old 02-26-2012, 04:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Other than port match and bowl cleanup no.Our car does not get driven much because of all the other summer things we do aka motorcycles and antique JD tractors.The cam in the motor now is a Lunati .235 @ .050,.560 lift, 104 cL works great.The plan is to pull the top end off the motor and polish everything while in that deep the cam change was a natural.Will study the power curves more and see what might work the best for me same goes for the type of lifter solid or stay with hydraulic.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default re solid roller

Mike, I run a solid roller in my 545, its a comp xr292, trick flow streets ported heads, around 11-1, Victor and 1050 dommi, just changed out the sidepipe inners for 3" perforated tube, it does sound pretty good in my humble opinion, I had problems with a solid FT cam wipeout and building in a confined single garage I made the decision to go solid roller, couldn't face the trauma of more problems!! seems to be all good at present. Dave
Old 04-04-2012, 06:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by blykins View Post
Pretty common for the higher horsepower engines I do.

Have your heads been worked on at all? The only issue with going with a larger cam is that you can potentially move the powerband out of the range of the cylinder heads. When you shift the curves to the right with a mismatched cam, you lose bottom end and then you lose top end both.

The other issue with a solid roller is the longevity. It's not much of a problem in a "toy car", but even the best solid roller lifters are recommended to be inspected/changed every 7500-10000 miles.

With that being said, I can pull to 6500 with a hydraulic roller and the correct valve springs. Any cam with a curve focused on the mid/upper rpm range will make an engine feel like it's "coming on" harder.

Check out the video of one of my 529ci engines with a hydraulic roller....as you can tell, it wants to come on hard at the end. It's the one at the very bottom of the page.

B2 Motorsports LLC
Sounds good,I personally have always been drawn to solid lifters partly because of the sweet sound they make adjusted properly,and knowing your getting all the cam can give all the time.
Old 04-04-2012, 06:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by keane View Post
Mike, I run a solid roller in my 545, its a comp xr292, trick flow streets ported heads, around 11-1, Victor and 1050 dommi, just changed out the sidepipe inners for 3" perforated tube, it does sound pretty good in my humble opinion, I had problems with a solid FT cam wipeout and building in a confined single garage I made the decision to go solid roller, couldn't face the trauma of more problems!! seems to be all good at present. Dave
Dave,my motor has the Ford Motorsports aluminum heads port matched with Edelbrock Performer RPM and 1000cfm dbl pmp.Tubular Automotive custom built racing headers,out through under car 2 1/2" exhaust. When the mood strikes plan to do the cam change and maybe step up to a single plane manifold.Will study the torque curves of potential rollers to be sure we get it right.Mike
Old 04-04-2012, 07:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default re solid roller

Mike, will have mine back on a rolling road soon, will post the figures/graphs then, I had it on a few months back but the throttle linkage wasnt opening the secondaries after around 4800 rpm, but at that stage it was 517 hp, and 730 tq, I have modified the pipes since then to breathe better so should be interesting when I do a reshow, I am touring in the New england area mid June with the wife on a Harley, we do it every year different parts, anything going on between 16-30 June car wise? Dave
Old 04-07-2012, 04:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Dave,will be anxious to hear about that beast,730 tq Wow,that must be a fun G force ride.Around here there are car events going on all the time.Here in New England we have to make the most of every warm season day we have.I will check with some friends for a schedule.Mother and I also plan more time on our Harley last year we hardly rode at all.Same goes for the Cobra we hardly rode in it.Sometimes life is like that.
Mike
Old 04-07-2012, 05:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default re Car shows etc

Thanks Mike, know what you mean, just rebuilt my Roadglide after a cam bearing failure, hardly saw the road last year, determined to make more of car/bike this year, just ordered a 1" Tilton Master for the changeover to tremec TKO 600, not looking forward to the job but will be worth it, the Broader C6 I have behind it just now is great, manual valve body etc, its like a 600+ hp go kart!! but always wanted a stick just couldnt run to the funds earlier in the build. Dave ps gas is around $9.50 a gallon now here in uk so the smiles per mile need to be good
Old 04-07-2012, 03:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 S/C W/Holmon Moody Original Nascar build #508 Iron Block/heads (C5AE-H) Bal/Blu 427 Sideoiler; 780 Holley Dbl. Pump; 4 Speed Top Loader; AP Racing Bks; IRS; 15" Trigo pins
Not Ranked     
Default Omg!

OMG!! Is that price per gallon or per liter? Regular? or high test?? On 2nd thought; forget the questions! MY hart bleeds for you M8! I complain about 93 octane @ $4.15 US per gal. & spending $150 to $200 US in a weekeknd NO MORE! My kingdom for a Harry Potter wand! I would fix all the big oil companies!! We as AC drivers make up less than 1/1,000,000,000,000 of the driving world!! It's a plot I say!! A PLOT!! STOP THE GREED!

PS Sorry for the rant!, I went way off thread

Last edited by Silversmith; 04-07-2012 at 03:42 PM..
Old 04-07-2012, 04:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default re fuel

yeh its bad but what can we do? the price per litre is £1.40, thats for regular unleaded which I think is around 95 octane, diesel is around £1.45, the amount of tax put on by the government is huge, makes up most of the cost, thats why the wife and I fly to the states and tour on a Harley every year, its nice to get value for money. Dave
Old 04-08-2012, 05:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by keane View Post
Thanks Mike, know what you mean, just rebuilt my Roadglide after a cam bearing failure, hardly saw the road last year, determined to make more of car/bike this year, just ordered a 1" Tilton Master for the changeover to tremec TKO 600, not looking forward to the job but will be worth it, the Broader C6 I have behind it just now is great, manual valve body etc, its like a 600+ hp go kart!! but always wanted a stick just couldnt run to the funds earlier in the build. Dave ps gas is around $9.50 a gallon now here in uk so the smiles per mile need to be good
I have a Tremec TKO in my car as well,and not a fan of the hydraulic throwout bearing.Went with a Ford Truck clutch cable to operate clutch,which at the time was told would not work.Well it has worked great maybe because my car has belly exhaust not sure what they meant at the time.Rowing through the gears in these hot rods is a real thrill these Tremecs have a grunt 1st gear and with OD the best of all worlds.You can also get the linkage to have the shifter in the stock location.Good Luck
Old 04-08-2012, 12:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default re solid roller

Thanks Mike, will keep updating as I do changes etc. Dave
Old 04-10-2012, 07:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Will be watching. Mike
Old 05-09-2012, 09:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default re 545

Mike. just a quick update, before i swop out the trans I took the car back to the rolling road having got the linkage ok, power fell off before 5k again, motor was a little hot so called it a draw, the bloody throttle cable had stretched !!secondaries still not fully at the party!!so will update all the linkage whilst doing the box, hp was up to 570 and tq around 650 the pipes are breathing better and fairly happy with the motor bearing in mind the shortfall in rpm. Dave
Old 06-18-2012, 04:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

We are in our camping season been wrapped up in that the last couple of weeks.Also building an 427" aluminum Donovan SB2 for one of our motorcycles.Took this week off to get the shortblock bolted together.After that will be getting the Cobra and bike out a lot more.
Next year thinking about replacing the BFG's on the Cobra with the GoodYear billboards.The BFG's have been on the car since the build in 93/94.Mike

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: