Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > 429/460 Engine Talk

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-21-2003, 01:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Input Needed .. 472 Build

Starting with a 1970 DOVE-A Block Bored
.60 over. Zero Deck,Going to be using
D2OE-AB 429 PI Heads. Using Cast CJ
Headers. 850 Holley,Roller rockers, Performer Intake, Shooting for Speed Pro Flat Top Pistons with Eagle Rods. Everything is decided except the friggen cam. I'm shooting for Torque at the low end. THree CAlls to Comp have yielded
three different cam suggestions. I'd like to run 11-1 CR ratio, But I'm getting alot of grief from the builder to lower it to 10-1 I told him I would compromise at 10.5-1. I don't care about fuel costs. Anyhow do any of you have close to the same build and which cam are you using..
Oh. and it's going behind a C-6 with either 3:77 Rear or 4:10..
Old 06-21-2003, 02:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427SC Unique
Not Ranked     

I build a 427 for a friend last year and used a solid lifter 294-S Magnum Comp Cam,10-1 comp. ratio, sidewinder intake,800 Holley,C-6 trans., and a 4,500 converter. The motor runs very strong on 92 octane with no problems.
Old 06-21-2003, 02:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 w/496 Side Oiler, roller, dual quads
Not Ranked     

The higher the compression ratio you run, the bigger the cam has to be to run on pump gas, if that is what you want. The bigger the cam, the lower the torque will be.
Check this out: http://members.uia.net/pkelley2/DynamicCR.html
Good Luck,

Dan

Last edited by Carnut427; 06-21-2003 at 03:01 PM..
Old 06-21-2003, 03:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 w/496 Side Oiler, roller, dual quads
Not Ranked     

Oooops!

Last edited by Carnut427; 06-21-2003 at 03:04 PM..
Old 06-26-2003, 11:04 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: JBL now SOLD
Send a message via AIM to jdean
Not Ranked     
Default Denny S.

With a C6, what are your thoughts on going with such a steep rear end ratio?

With that much BBF torque in a light car, the 3.70 or 4.10 seems to be overkill, unless you just want it. Even for a dedicated drag car I do not think it would be any faster than, say 3.27 or 3.50. Even with 2.80s you could smoke 'em on demand in any gear.

Let us know what you think after running them for a while.

John
Old 06-26-2003, 04:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I used to fix them for a living
Not Ranked     

What kind of rear end are you going to run? That will be the weakest link if you have IRS. I don't think you will need or want any more that 3.55's out back, unless this is a bonafide drag car (maybe even then) you won't have OD, so rear gear ought to be a bit more conservative.
Old 06-29-2003, 04:00 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M / Power Performance / 521 stroker / Holley HP EFI
Not Ranked     

Hi Denny S.,

I've got a C6/2.88 PowerLok Jag rear.

With 315/35-17s out back it'll light'em any time up to and including 100 mph if you whack the gas

3.77s'l prolly be grand for pulling stumps and doing burnouts . Not so fine for highway cruising like last weekend when we drove 1100+ miles to the Fling and back . If I could find a 2.75 I'd use that !

So think about how you'll be using the car and decide the axle ratio accordingly!

Tom
Old 06-29-2003, 01:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I have a 85 street mustang with a 472 tunnel ram engine, I like the comp cam magnum 306 solid. depending on how you will be driving the car determines what is the best choice for your rear axle ratio. with the C-6 and no overdrive I would use 3:73s , with a 27 inch tall tire, at 60mph you should be running about 2700-3000 rpms. you don't want run your engine at anything over that range for an extended period of time, I'd say no more than an hour's ride would be safe, anything over that you would be better suited using the 3:55s or lower, again depending on how far you drive your car. a taller tire also helps with you top speed. say the same combination above, the 3:73s and a 27 in. tire, you changed the tire to a 29 in. tall tire, it would drop your rpms to about 2500 at 60 mph. hope this info helps