17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 12-24-2009, 03:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 86 Everett Morrison 90" WB. 428 FE
Not Ranked     
Default Super Speeder Law

Is this just another way for Georgia to raise money?

http://www.georgiaduilawyer.com/geor...eederlaws.html
Old 12-24-2009, 04:21 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Pffft, their light weights. Hawaii is WAY tougher than those guys.

80 mph or 35 mph over any speed limit and you HAVE to go to court. It is SO serious a violation the court will not hear your case without you having a lawyer. You face JAIL time, loss of license and $500 plus fine's.
Old 12-24-2009, 04:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

So many twisties over there. If you go to fast you can't read the messages written with the white coral!

Ralphy
Old 12-24-2009, 04:44 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

True dat! The Hawaii law is relatively new, couple of years maybe now. What prompted it was to many racing on the street disasters, some of them exceedingly sad. Like the Catholic school teacher in her SUV hit and killed by some punk racing his Honda against another car. Boy that one got some press! It seems to happen a LOT in Hawaii, high speed racing incidents. I have no doubt there is a direct relation to closing down the only race track Oahu had. No place for the folks to drive their cars hard.

Me? Heck after that law came into play I rarely got out of 2nd gear. Just to darn serious if your caught speeding.
Old 12-24-2009, 04:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, supercharged Coyote
Not Ranked     

Hmmm. I wonder what the motivation is?

"Preliminary estimates show the Super Speeder legislation could generate as much as $25 million to $30 million per year. "
Old 12-24-2009, 05:15 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

"Driving over 85 mph or more anywhere in Georgia and 75 mph or more on a two lane road will be classified as a "super speeding" offense, adding an additional fine of $200, which will be administered by the Georgia Department of Driver Services"

That seems fair to me. Anyone that is committing the above has no regard for themselves or anyone else on the road. As far as I'm concerned, they should also spent a few months in jail to think about what a F--Kin' Idiot there are. I've responded to many calls involving them and it usually ends up with the innocent ones being killed. I'm all for a "Field Termination Protocol".

Jim
Old 12-24-2009, 06:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 707, 446ci FE
Not Ranked     

I've never understood why anyone thinks there's a connection between speed limit laws and racing. Yet every time there's a drag race down some avenue, the speed limits get dropped. "Gosh, Martha, I'm doing five over... let's drag!"

= Si Opus Quadratum vis, angulos praecidere noli. =
Old 12-24-2009, 06:43 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
I've never understood why anyone thinks there's a connection between speed limit laws and racing. Yet every time there's a drag race down some avenue, the speed limits get dropped. "Gosh, Martha, I'm doing five over... let's drag!"
You are obviously blind to the real problem. It's not the ones doing 5 over. It's the ones doing 20+ over.
Old 12-24-2009, 09:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

jwd,
I agree, however a $200.00 penalty may do very little. It's not uncomon to be doing 10 to 15 over the limit here. Only to have the po po riding along or passing you by. Speeding and getting a ticket here will generally mean you are going 15 to 20 over on the freeway. Put it this way, to run with traffic you will be doing at least 10 mph over. I hate darters and tailgaters myself. I feel they add more hazards then any group.

Last edited by Ralphy; 12-24-2009 at 09:05 PM..
Old 12-24-2009, 09:17 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF GT40P-2265/393W, KMP318 (PROJECT!!!!!)/CSX478
Not Ranked     

Pu$$ys.

I'm sorry, but if you aren't going 15 over around here, you're the hazard.

Purely a money grab.

"Dishwasher? I thought that was for cleaning parts!?"
Old 12-24-2009, 09:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I have driven in LA quit a few times. Atlanta is about the same.

Once driving back from Savanah with a group of about 10 cars, we were doing between 90 and 105. We did this speed for maybe 45 minutes. When we approached traffic we all brought it down. Then resumed on open roads. I was told about the high speeds on 16 before the trip.

In Spain they drive very fast. But what a bunch of great drivers. Keeping distance, using signals and staying to the right.

Last edited by Ralphy; 12-24-2009 at 09:36 PM..
Old 12-24-2009, 10:07 PM
Stolen Avitar
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 1311 428PI
Not Ranked     

It's been in place since about 07 and I think it's about leverage and publicity for Sonny.

Steve
Old 12-24-2009, 10:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427sc
Not Ranked     

Interesting sentence in that article... "We're going to hold accountable people who repeatedly engage in dangerous activities, and I hope that these increased fines will give them incentive to stop their behavior and make our roads safer." Now take out the part about the roads and what are they saying... you do dangerous things and you can pay for it....What's next? Dirt bike riding tax? Skydiving tax? Skateboarding tax? More control from big brother and the insurance companies.

Are there bad and irresponsible drivers out there... absolutely! But driving over the posted speed limit, especially in a secluded and safe area is not the problem. When you have skilled drivers in well prepared cars doing a little over the limit, you are not dangerously jeopardizing anyone. The problem is low skill level and comprehension of the driving dynamics in most American drivers. Most of those speed laws were made when cars had 4 wheel drum brakes. Now you're are telling me that with anti lock brakes, precise rack and pinion steering, speed rated radials, traction and stability control, etc. etc. etc. the cars are still terribly dangerous at 75 or 80. Come on! what did we spend all that money and research on?

What we need is a more compreshensive driving test and some real training. Every 16 year old that shows up with a high school drivers ed diploma should not be getting a lic.

I too have reponded to many terrible vehicle accidents and 99.9% have either been alcohol/drug related, cell phone related, or just plain and simply a stupid and unskilled driver in one or both of the cars. I have yet to come upon a sober, experience driver in their well maintained sports car that has crashed due to a bit of excessive speed.
Old 12-25-2009, 04:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance aluminum427
Not Ranked     

When I was coming up in Ga back in the 60's you could blow the carbon out of your motor near about anywhere, now every time I even think about it I meet a cop. And I dont want Jessie to take my money. It would have been a blast to have a Cobra in the 60's. Every time somebody ask how fast is it, I tell them there is to much law out there to find out.
Old 12-25-2009, 06:11 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
The cars now are far safer than they used to be but the highways and roads, at lest in this state are not very well kept in good condition. Also the safer cars tend to make average drivers think they can't be hurt.

But when you get through all of the excuses, it is still the drivers 99.9% of the time that cause the accidents around here, either by speeding, drinking, and an ever growing number of talking on cell phones and not paying attention. Even parking lots here for the large stores are dangerous as they have as many accidents as on the freeway. And almost every one of them are caused by the driver doing two things. Speeding through a parking lot and hitting a vehicle that is going slow or talking on a cell phone and hitting parked vehicles, power poles, or anything else that can be hit. On the freeway the changing of lanes all the time to pass other vehicles is a big problem. The law should be enforced as it is on the Autobahn in Germany. Stay in the slow lane unless you are passing. And the law against using a cell phone while driving here is hardly ever enforced.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 12-25-2009, 07:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique
Not Ranked     
Default Cell phones

What really pisses me off is when I see someone come around me while talking on the cell or even texting. Want to raise money fine these idiots if you can prove a cell was in use during the accident.
Old 12-25-2009, 09:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 427 Side-Oiler
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwd View Post
You are obviously blind to the real problem. It's not the ones doing 5 over. It's the ones doing 20+ over.
You are wrong.
Old 12-25-2009, 09:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 427 Side-Oiler
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by diegokid View Post
What really pisses me off is when I see someone come around me while talking on the cell or even texting. Want to raise money fine these idiots if you can prove a cell was in use during the accident.
You can't prove it.And this is a good thing.
Old 12-25-2009, 10:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427sc
Not Ranked     

The issue is driving distracted. Now, that could be due to a cell phone but just as easily from someone eating or drinking while driving. How about reading something or women putting on makeup? Reading a map or reaching for that CD that slid under the passenger seat could do the trick too.

This is why specific laws against cell phones are not completely effective. They are dealing with a symtom and not the issue. The issue is attitude and focus! People need to be ingrained by our culture, parents and educators that driving is not a guarenteed right but a precious priviledge and you need to do it carefully and responsibly. And, IF you have skilled and well trained drivers the speed limit could be raised or completely done away with.
Old 12-25-2009, 10:47 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: None, sold it
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobrabill View Post
You can't prove it.And this is a good thing.
It can be proven. I have watched enough CSI to know that

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: