April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-07-2009, 06:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E.R.A. #505
Not Ranked     

If I remember correctly, I built my car, "sold it" to a place in Alabama where it was registered, and "bought it back." What did I gain from this? An Alabama tag receipt that I was able to transfer to Georgia.

Last edited by tboneheller; 01-08-2009 at 05:32 AM..
Old 01-07-2009, 09:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #821,Southern Automotive 427 Side Oiler w/2x4
Not Ranked     

chip
I talked to the guy at Starr last yr and they did pull out. I was thinking of having them soup up a merc marauder for me but now it has to go to their place SC.
For you frustrated at GA licencing I have a house in Alabama if there is any interest.
I bought a custom built boat last yr (see toy box) for the lake house in AL. Needed a reg. well a nice state marine policeman came out gave me a new serial # filed out some forms .... that was it. Well I go to the MVD Jan 1 to reg my 3 boats and 78 camino al in AL. The lady asked for a serial for that boats motor. I told her i didn't think there was one. She said this yr it was a requirement. She kind of winks and gives me a piece of paper to write a serial on so I use my drivers licence # she typed it in and I was gone.
Guys the difference in service and attitude in AL to GA is stunning. They smile are really sweet. They don't even ask for insurance proof. I am thinking of reging everything there Oh and no emissions either.
I think i uploaded a pic of a barn find. Never sure how to do this correctly. As a friend says dead short between the chair and the key board
Attached Images

Old 01-08-2009, 05:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: roadster/coupeGT350 clone/GT40
Not Ranked     

Alex-Thanks. The replicas that I presently own have valid Georgia titles. But you can never tell about the future!!

Just becareful about registering your cars at another location/state: You may loose your Homstead exemption. There was a note to that effect some tiem ago here. cb
Old 10-06-2009, 11:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 86 Everett Morrison 90" WB. 428 FE
Not Ranked     

So now we no longer need to worry about a Homestead Exemption. We all lost that this year!

Found some cool GA Plates. NASCAR and the one I really like, Race Car Hall Of Fame. Also you can get a Low Speed Vehicle plate! LOL! @http://motor.etax.dor.ga.gov/motor/p...teSamples.aspx

Useful info
http://motor.etax.dor.ga.gov/motor/titles/required.asp

If your vehicle is a 1985 through 2006 model year gasoline-powered car or light-duty truck (8,500 pounds gross vehicle weight rating and less) registered in Cherokee, Clayton, Cobb, Coweta, DeKalb, Douglas, Fayette, Forsyth, Fulton, Gwinnett, Henry, Paulding or Rockdale County.

The three most recent model year vehicles are exempt from emission testing each year. For registration in 2009, this includes all 2007 and newer model year vehicles.

Additionally, vehicles that are 25 model years or older are exempt from emission testing. This includes 1984 or older model year vehicles.

If you are late renewing your registration for your birthday in 2008, your vehicle will be tested according to the 2008 rules. In 2008, all 1984 through 2005 model year vehicles require an inspection.

Things to remember:

* A vehicle's model year is the year your vehicle was built as designated by the vehicle manufacturer.
* Certain exemptions and extensions may apply to your vehicle (see below).
* Motorcycles, recreational vehicles (RVs) and motor homes do not require emission testing for registration.
* Diesel vehicles do not require emission testing for registration.
http://www.cleanairforce.com/motoris...iontesting.php

Ralphy

Last edited by Ralphy; 10-06-2009 at 11:50 PM.. Reason: Added links
Old 10-07-2009, 12:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

OK here is some meat.

Hot rod vehicles must be equipped with a catalytic converter (or converters on vehicles with dual exhausts), unless neither the original vehicle nor replacement engine was so equipped with one.

Oct. 7, 2009
http://www.cleanairforce.com/motoris...exemptions.php

Oops we do not fall under Hot Rod we are Kit Cars. My bad

Under Georgia's Clean Air Rules exemption for persons 65 or older on page 7, (9).

(9) A vehicle which is otherwise subject to the provisions of this Chapter is exempt from inspection if it is driven less than 5,000 miles per year, is 10 years old or older and the current primary registered owner is a person 65 years old or older.

http://www.cleanairforce.com/docs/I-M_Rules.pdf

Last edited by Ralphy; 10-07-2009 at 06:36 AM.. Reason: Better understanding
Old 10-07-2009, 03:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Street Beast
Not Ranked     

My car currently has a Florida title and registration. The title has it listed as a 1966 while the registration has it listed as a 2008. Don't ask me how we didn't catch that one. I think we were so happy to actually get the car registered we missed it. Do you think I can get it registered in Georgia as a 1966? Would I have to show the Georgia DMV my FL registration or the title? I could always see if the Florida DMV would change the registration to 1966 when I have to renew in November.

Bill
Old 10-09-2009, 03:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

My understanding is that in Georgia they go by the year built, if the kit car has never been titled. If you have a title they go by the titled year, so FLCobra your kit should be titled as a 66 in GA. Which should exempt you.

You are exempt this year up to 1984 which is 25 years old.

Ralphy

Last edited by Ralphy; 10-09-2009 at 04:06 AM..
Old 10-12-2009, 11:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 65 Factory Five MKIII Cobra
Not Ranked     

I bought my Everett-Morrison almost two years ago from South Florida. I had a title and bill of sale. The car was registered in Florida as a 1967 E-M. No problems getting Title and Registration in GA as a 1967 vehicle. Ad-V tax each year is about $1.80 - which is very nice. I did have to pay GA sales tax upon registering the car in GA. That part was not nice!
No emissions testing required since it's registered as '67. Good thing considering it would never pass!
Old 10-12-2009, 11:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

If your title says 67. It's a 67!
Old 10-14-2009, 07:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralphy View Post
If your title says 67. It's a 67!
I hear ya!
Old 10-15-2009, 04:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I just renewed my Florida registration and now the year on my registration matches the year on my title. Glad they fixed that! I shouldn't have to pay sales tax when I register my car in Georgia should I? I already paid sales tax in Florida.

Atlantacobra - Did you ever have the car registered in FL or did you buy it there and bring it to GA? Did you only pay sales tax once?
Old 10-15-2009, 05:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLCobra View Post
I just renewed my Florida registration and now the year on my registration matches the year on my title. Glad they fixed that! I shouldn't have to pay sales tax when I register my car in Georgia should I? I already paid sales tax in Florida.

Atlantacobra - Did you ever have the car registered in FL or did you buy it there and bring it to GA? Did you only pay sales tax once?
When I bought the car, it was registered in FL. I did not pay any FL sales tax on the sale, so that's why I got dinged in GA when I had to register it here. You won't have to pay GA sales tax for just registering the car in GA.
You gotta love Uncle Sam!

-Greg
Old 10-23-2009, 09:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

OK, a new spin on this thread. In GA if you have a 1985 or older vehicle you will not receive a title on a purchased car. This is one year less then the 25 year exclusion from emissions. Does this car require emissions, as a non titled 24 year old car?

Ralphy
Old 10-23-2009, 01:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

You should not have to have emissions.
Old 10-23-2009, 08:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Called the tag office and they said yes, you must have the test. Title or no title, 25 years out.

However now one step further they suggested I call GA Clean Air. So I did, according to the rep I talked to I am exempt because I am pre 1999 manufacture under kit car rules. So I need to title the car, copy and send in an exemption form and title. I will post as to what happens.

http://www.cleanairforce.com/motoris...exemptions.php
http://www.cleanairforce.com/docs/No...pplication.pdf

Last edited by Ralphy; 10-23-2009 at 08:20 PM..
Old 04-16-2010, 09:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 828
Not Ranked     

Has anyone completed the process of registering in Ga?
I may be bringing my titled BDR into Richmond Cty (no emissions county). Has anyone brought a titled Roadster into Ga ?

Thanks
Old 04-17-2010, 09:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

No problem in non emission counties.
Old 05-05-2010, 01:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

It 3 trips to the DMV but I finally got my Georgia tags! The lady at the tag office was on the phone with the state office for 45 minutes trying to figure out how to get the car registered. I must say that it definitely helped that I had a Florida title in hand and that the car was registered in Florida before I brought it up here.
Old 01-21-2011, 02:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Can you help me out with my cobra?Tks Big Bill
Old 01-25-2011, 09:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR2385K - 418W
Not Ranked     

What do you need Big Bill ?

need some details on what you have, when you got it...was it Reg/Titled in another State previously, etc...

Welcome to the area ! Look forward to meeting you this Summer....feel free to call, I'd be happy to offer whatever help I can.

"Pig"
678-971-9470

"Platinum-Level III - Master Automotive Ignoramus"