17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 06-26-2008, 03:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default GA Title and Registration

Here's the LATEST on Titling and Registering of a "Kit Car","Replica","Assembled Motor Vehicle" for the state of Georgia.

http://www.etax.dor.ga.gov/hottopics.aspx

http://www.semasan.com/images/pdf/SA...omplete-GA.pdf

Enjoy the read.

Last edited by Rich A; 03-23-2011 at 04:01 AM.. Reason: More info added
Old 06-27-2008, 01:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I am still confused by what I intepret as a "circular" piece of reading.
Am I correct in my understanding that an "assembled vehicle" means a vehicle which meets dmv standards, and an "unconventional vehicle" is one that does not meet the standards. Where does one find the list of specs which must be met.
This looks to suggest that one build a car, submits it for approval, at which time you will be told OK or NOWAY.:confused :confused
I must be wrong in my logic
Old 06-29-2008, 12:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 SC, Southern Automotive 427W Stroker
Not Ranked     

Looks pretty sinister to me. I can see why Superformance pulled out of GA.
Old 06-29-2008, 03:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Tony,
I have personally tried to get answers out of DMV with no success. I am dying to give Alan and Maurice the loot for a 289 FIA, spent a good bit of time with Bill Parham at the homecoming about the motor, but the uncertainty is a bummer. Sorry I didn't get the opportunity to meet you at the homecoming, I was the traitor driving the Audi R8, down from Gainesville.
Old 06-29-2008, 06:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 SC, Southern Automotive 427W Stroker
Not Ranked     

Maurice, is it better to buy an existing car that is already registered in Georgia?
Old 06-30-2008, 05:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 2008/351W/TOP-LOADER
Not Ranked     

I guess I should be Thankful everyday my FIA is registered and titled here in Georgia!! I hear they completely shut everything down at the tag office for cars like ours till "further investigation". I met someone with a new Superformance that was trying to get it through and had come to dead ends everywhere! I don't know what ended up but that's a huge purchase to make and NOT being able to register it. I understand, a little, but there still has to be a compromise somewhere!!
Old 07-05-2008, 07:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: roadster/coupeGT350 clone/GT40
Not Ranked     

Has the Starperformance pulled out of GA? cb
Old 07-06-2008, 04:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

cb--an earlier post about a week ago stated that they had relocated nearby--i think still out there on 53.
Old 07-06-2008, 08:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: roadster/coupeGT350 clone/GT40
Not Ranked     

Thank You. cb
Old 07-24-2008, 10:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

NEW "Affidavit of an Assembled Vehicle Inspection" form added to first post.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Newly built "Kit Car","Replica","Assembled Motor Vehicle".
This is what they (DMV main office) said your title will read.

If the MSO information you provide reads.
Model: Mk III Roadster
Manufacture: Factory Five Racing
Body Type: 2 Door Roadster
Chassis Number: FFRXXXXXXXXRD
Year Manufactured: 2007
DOR Vehicle Inspection Completed in: 2008

The title will read.
YEAR MAKE MODEL
2008 Factory Five Racing, MKIII Roadster, "Assembled Vehicle".

If the MSO information you provide reads.
Model: Ultima GTR
Body Type: 2 Door Coupe
Manufacture: Ultima Sports Ltd
Year Manufactured: 2007
Chassis Number: USLXXXXXXXGTR
DOR Vehicle Inspection Completed in: 2008

The title will read.
YEAR MAKE MODEL
2008 Ultima Sports Ltd, Ultima GTR, "Assembled Vehicle".

Last edited by Rich A; 07-29-2008 at 09:17 AM..
Old 08-07-2008, 01:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane Motorsports, Southern Automotive 428 FE
Not Ranked     

Rich;
First, thank you for bird dogging this issue for us. From the info you have provided it seems we now have a method of registering and titling our vehicles in GA simply because we are indemnifying the state from responsibility of our build quality as long as we meet some minimum safety standard. As we all know, the next hurdle for cars like our is the emission standards in GA are too high for our cars to meet (i.e. needed to meet the year of completion and not the year it represents). I think the only section of the affidavit that addresses emissions is where it states that the vehicle must maintain "Any applicable federal emission standards issued pursuant to 42 U.S.C.A. Section 7401 through Section 7642, the ‘Clean Air Act’ as amended"

I skimmed through all 241 pages (fell asleep twice) of the sections outlined and I still don't understand what my requirements are for emissions. Is it still the year the vehicle was completed or can we use the date of our engine blocks and the emission standards of that year?
Old 12-31-2008, 08:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance MKIII
Not Ranked     
Default Just registered my Superformance in GA

What a pain! But it can be done!

As soon as the car was finished I took it by trailer up to the Gainesville Salvage in Hall Co. They are one of two inspection stations in my area (there are many others around the state). A call to the state Dept. of Revenue Motor Vehicle Dept. and they can tell you the station nearest you. I called the Salvage yard directly to get information from them about the fees, forms required, and methods of payment.

I needed my MSO, about four other forms (one of which had to be notarized but all of which can be printed and downloaded from the Dept of Rev website unfortunately I don't remember the exact form #'s/names but the salvage people knew exactly what I needed so call them), and two payments -- one for the state (check) and one for the salvage yard (cash only). In addition I needed a complete list of all parts and costs for assembling the car, especially any salvage or used parts, so I needed the chassis invoice, engine invoice, mechanic invoice, transmission invoice, etc all together to submit. KEEP COPIES OF EVERYTHING!

I hung around while they inspected the vehicle and it was given an "OK" with no questions asked within about an hour. I got a "pink" approved slip.

Since it was an assembled vehicle it would need a VIN plate manufactured for it from the state. The state will make a VIN # for the car and punch it into a metal plate that then must be affixed to the driver door frame area. This is where I had my first batch of trouble. The first VIN plate they made and sent was mailed to the wrong address (not my fault!). I called and called for more than a month before they finally agreed to make another one and call the first one lost in the mail (I'd filed reports with two post offices, physically drove over to the incorrect address and asked the residents to be on the lookout for the envelope, but never got it). I had to drive to Hapeville and sign another affidavit swearing the first plate was lost, but then they made a new one and handed it to me all within about 15 minutes so it wasn't a horrible experience, but it delayed my enjoying the driving of my vehicle for more than a month! Aghhhh!

Okay, so now I had a VIN plate. Took it to a mechanic and had them rivet it into place. Then called the local police department and they had to come out and inspect and "sign off" on the car that it was actually attached to the car (this sign off form come with the VIN plate). When I told the police what I wanted I had a cop at my door in about 15 minutes! And then I had to mail this form back to the Dept of Revenue (took about two days for them to get it). KEEP A COPY!

The Dept of Revenue then took the "hold" off my car and my title arrived a few days later. A title! Now we're moving forward! Soooo, now I could drive over to the Tag Office to get my license plate and registration.

Unfortunately, there are no ways around it, but these cars are going to be titled in their year of manufacture, so mine is a 2008 Cobra MKIII according to the title. Which also means in 3 years I'll have to get emission inspections (which it probably won't pass) but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it! In addition it means that your Ad Val tax is going to be higher. They use the actual assembled value of the car which for mine was about $55,000. Ad Val will be similar to any other vehicle of that value -- a few hundred $$ a year plus the tag fee and I got a special tag that says B SEEIN U so I paid extra for my vanity!!

Now, here's the second bit of trouble, the tag office and the insurance. I got my insurance when the chassis arrived (I used Midwest Classic, Robbin Terry is the agent -- the only one's who would insure it from box to assembled and the only one that will insure it for agreed full value AND still actually let me drive it anywhere BUT that is for another thread...) Since I had the insurance for more than 30 days when I arrived at the Tag Office they couldn't take my insurance card as proof of insurance. My insurance had to be "downloaded" into the GA computer system. How do you do this? Well, the insurance company had to do it but they had mis-typed some information and it wasn't "linking" up to my account. Soooo, I had to get a "binder" from the insurance company until the link could be fixed, but you can't fax or email the binder to the Tag Office because "they don't do that." My advice, call the Tag Office before you go and have them check for you in the computer. Ask what you'll need and you won't have my problems. A quick trip to a fax machine at the corner UPS Store and I had my binder in hand, returned and paid my registration and got my temporary tag... no problem!

Hope this is helpful info for those in GA contemplating the idea of getting one of these beauties! I say it was all worth it -- 100000000000%

Now when you see me I'll have the wind in my hair!

B SEEIN U!!

mysterywriter
Attached Images

Old 12-31-2008, 09:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Building 289 Lemans / FFR mkIV chassis w/ Bruce Chervenak
Not Ranked     

How would Georgia handle a car that is registered as a model year 1965 in Florida?
Old 01-01-2009, 03:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Looking for a nice Cobra ...
Not Ranked     

I have the same question myself, but I feel it would be extremely hard for another state (including GA) to change the pre-existing model year of car that is documented in title & registration from another state. You wouldn't have to produce the MSO and there's not a reason for them to see the car in person. As far as the state of GA is concerned - the car you just brought into the state is an original. I guess we'd need to hear from someone who recently bought a titled 196x car and applied for registration/tag here in GA to be sure.

I don't have a Cobra, but I have been doing a lot of research on getting one in my garage. I've been struggling a lot with building vs. buying. Based on the current state of affairs, it seems the state of GA will push me out of state to buy a pre-titled & registered 196x Cobra based on pure economics (emissions issues, ad val tax, etc.). I hope things change soon; I'd prefer to spend my money with local GA businesses (Southern Automotive, Starrformance, etc.) and keep the build or turn key minus a cost neutral option.

Last edited by JJM3; 01-01-2009 at 06:22 PM..
Old 01-01-2009, 05:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks. We're considering relocating to NE Georgia and I've also been considering selling my car and building another. It's titled as a '65. This would be nice to know for sure for future reference.
Old 01-01-2009, 06:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

My car was originally from Washington and registered as a 65 Cobra Conv. The second owner bought it and just simply transferred the title as others have stated. This, to me, is invaluable as Georgia has clamped down on the "kit car" registrations from what I've experienced. I've enjoyed the building experience and if I should do this again where would I be? I really would one day like to get a GT 40 kit but how am I to get this through the system? Also, as others have stated the ad valorem tax is nothing as it would be if it was a 2009! That in it's self is a huge savings per year too. I can't imagine what a Kirkham, a GT 40, or anything in that price range would be!! I walked in, paid $28.00, and walked out with my plate no problem! I'm just ready to get the car out on the road now!!
Old 01-01-2009, 06:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Very interesting... thanks for sharing.

You've got a nice car there.
Old 01-01-2009, 07:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I've always thought your FFR was one of the nicest I seen pics of! Pretty sinister ride all blacked out. I wish some days I had just gone out and bought a nice FFR and just jumped in drove it. BUT, then I have really enjoyed the build side of my car too. Looks Great! Matt
Old 01-04-2009, 06:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hey, thanks Matt. I may reach out to you about the ERA.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: