LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2010, 02:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by somedayaurora View Post
$#!% This is the csx I thought was over priced last week on ebay $119 000. from planet cobra - thread link- www.clubcobra.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102034 Wow $93, 000. all in , thats $26k discount off MSRP WOW a deal at BJ
SDR
That is Dean's point. The BJ prices for Shelby Cobras, original or continuation, have not been very friendly for the last two years.

That number is the buyer's side. There is also a seller's commission of I believe 8%(?), maybe 10%(?)?

To the earlier point, if you really want a CSX car, take a chance at the next one. You've got nothing to lose.

The 100K British Racing Green car was mine. It is carbon fiber and I felt the premium was worth it. The down side is that the engine is not working but there may be some news in this space. Stay tuned.
Old 01-25-2010, 03:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Arizona shelby cobras say $83k for a csx all in with a Shelby FE/t600Trans then a 11k install charge -weird marketing- 83 k then oh 11k if you want it put together , Still that would make 94k for a csx with a shelby 427 . ( sans options) So csx 6018 w/ all options seems like a great deal.
SDR

http://www.arizonashelbycobras.com/C...px#build_sheet

New ebay planet cobra 99k all options :
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Shelb...#ht_678wt_1167 SORRY old link relisted at 119k my bad

Last edited by somedayaurora; 01-25-2010 at 03:12 PM.. Reason: ?
Old 01-25-2010, 03:12 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by REAL 1 View Post
Well, you can roll your eyes and laugh all you want if that makes you feel better but the fact of the matter is the general public and those that buy and sell these cars including auction houses have begun to clearly view CSX continuaiton Cobras as authentic Shelby Cobras and more then mere "replicas" as that term is commonly used and understood today.
I thought I would comment on Evan's comment about the "general public" and those that buy CSX continuation Cobras.

I read Sports Car Market each month. It's a very nice magazine that describes the auction results from various auctions during the year. Colin Comer contributes to the magazine and owns and races Shelbys. He's the magazines' "expert" when it comes to all things Shelby. Here's what he wrote in March 2008:

http://www.sportscarmarket.com/Domes...s/2008/March//

The bottom line. He's writing an article on the replica market and lumps the CSX and Kirkham with all the other replicas. So, I'm not sure your comment about how the general public and auction buyers perceive the CSX as anything more or less than a $150K replica.

Last edited by RodKnock; 01-25-2010 at 03:15 PM..
Old 01-25-2010, 03:17 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Cobra CSX4206 aluminum body, original 1965 NASCAR 427 SO, Dual quads.
Not Ranked     

Sounds fair. The $11K is for the engine install and all the fit up and final tuning etc...

Not a bad price at all. You will then own a genuine Shelby Cobra and not a replica of one. Go for it.
Old 01-25-2010, 03:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
I thought I would comment on Evan's comment about the "general public" and those that buy CSX continuation Cobras.

I read Sports Car Market each month. It's a very nice magazine that describes the auction results from various auctions during the year. Colin Comer contributes to the magazine and owns and races Shelbys. He's the magazines' "expert" when it comes to all things Shelby. Here's what he wrote in March 2008:

http://www.sportscarmarket.com/Domes...s/2008/March//

The bottom line. He's writing an article on the replica market and lumps the CSX and Kirkham with all the other replicas. So, I'm not sure your comment about how the general public and auction buyers perceive the CSX as anything more or less than a $150K replica.
!!Ouch!!
SDR
Old 01-25-2010, 03:47 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

OK, there genuine Shelby's. But here's at least one problem I'd like to avoid. The "is it real" when asked at a cruise in, on the street or where ever. Even with a modern CSX continuation series car I would have to hesitate when asked that question. Do I have the time to "assplain it"? Quick, easy answer of "yes" is acceptable under some conditions (at a stop light for instance). Bottom line is the question requires at least some thought, some slight disclaimer to be really accurate.

I therefore find myself wondering, is it worth the extra dollars and STILL have to contemplate that question when it arises? It's the kind of thing that "eats at you" after awhile. Like I loved my Excalibur, but as time went on, the body shape, the motor specs, the general build/design inaccuracies began to "eat at me". Man I would hate to spend the big bucks on a continuation Shelby and find that question "haunting" me over time.
But maybe it wouldn't, maybe...
Old 01-25-2010, 04:11 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC s/n 718, 428 FE
Not Ranked     

He's certainly correct as to experiencing a 'Cobra' for roughly 10% of the original price. I could never afford a real one, and even if I could I wouldn't spend that kind of money. I do, however agree with trying to keep it much as it was back in the day.
The new Shelby cars are a great way for some to say they have a real one, but alas, they too are fakes, all but very nices ones.
Old 01-25-2010, 04:14 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Look, I was only pointing out what the "general public" or the "auction buyers" perspective may or may not be. Not what SAAC thinks or what Club Cobra Forum members think.

I have no idea if this magazine or Colin Comer's perspective is what the "general public" might think either.
Old 01-25-2010, 04:19 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC s/n 718, 428 FE
Not Ranked     

One can only state their own opinion. It seems these threads tend to wander somewhat.
Old 01-25-2010, 04:22 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

My impression, from the "general public" is that the ones that KNOW Shelby is once again building Cobras are pretty excited. They don't seem to have a problem with the whole "is it real" thing. Which I think is nice, it's refreshing to see that enthusiasm.

It's the same kind of enthusiasm I had when I bought my Excalbur, it looked terrific to me! Had plenty power, it was a "Cobra", Shelby was "da man"! Then I started to research the whole Cobra thing and...

Oh that I could go back and just be a simple "general public" kind of guy again.
Old 01-25-2010, 04:22 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF w/392CI stroker
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
...what the "general public" might think...
My straw poll (taken from various gas station visits and general driving around) would allude that Joe Q. Public thinks my car is real.

So I'm into this thing for under $50K and that's probably where I will stay (until I convince the wifey on Webers).

I tip my hat to the guys that can "step up" to a CSX. If you can, why not?!?

-Dean
Old 01-25-2010, 04:31 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance # 532, 466 BB, 560HP
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBarchetta View Post
My straw poll (taken from various gas station visits and general driving around) would allude that Joe Q. Public thinks my car is real.

So I'm into this thing for under $50K and that's probably where I will stay (until I convince the wifey on Webers).

I tip my hat to the guys that can "step up" to a CSX. If you can, why not?!?

-Dean

Well Dean, I could have afforded a CSX or a Kirkham, and after looking at them I choose the SPF. It was what I wanted and I have not regretted my choice.
Old 01-25-2010, 04:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Here we go again.
Old 01-25-2010, 04:43 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF w/392CI stroker
Not Ranked     

I hope not.

CSX6xxx's selling at auction below MSRP. THAT's the topic, correct?
Old 01-25-2010, 07:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6022, navy blue, period correct 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excaliber View Post
My impression, from the "general public" is that the ones that KNOW Shelby is once again building Cobras are pretty excited. They don't seem to have a problem with the whole "is it real" thing. Which I think is nice, it's refreshing to see that enthusiasm.

It's the same kind of enthusiasm I had when I bought my Excalbur, it looked terrific to me! Had plenty power, it was a "Cobra", Shelby was "da man"! Then I started to research the whole Cobra thing and...

Oh that I could go back and just be a simple "general public" kind of guy again.
It is pretty amazing that there is so much debate, controversy and acrimony around this topic. Most everyone else in the world is blissfully unaware, which was a very nice place to be.

www.partskeeper.com
(Less time searching, more time wrenching & driving)
Old 01-25-2010, 08:00 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

..it was, is their a door that leads back there? Maybe one guarded by a rabbit or a chesire cat?
Old 01-25-2010, 08:04 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Cobra CSX4206 aluminum body, original 1965 NASCAR 427 SO, Dual quads.
Not Ranked     

Yeah, if you haven't noticed alot of things are selling below MSRP right now. And your point is???

I don't think Comers article was meant as a commentary on whether the CSX Cobras are genuine Cobras (my reading of the article indicates to me he was using "replica" in broad sweeping sense as including anything other than the original series). Nor do I consider him "the" authority on the subject of whether the Continuation series is to be considered a "genuine Cobra" merely because he wrote some article on replicas or put together a book, as nice as it might be, with all Shelby automobiles in it. While Comer may be an authority on a wide variety of automobiles and classics and have a lot of knowledge about Cobras and Shelbys I believe SAAC is THE if not the top authority when it comes to all things Shelby, AC and Cobras, like it or not and their Registry I believe is considered by most as the Bible on all things Cobra and Shelby and what is and is not considered a genuine Cobra. Comer no where mentions SAAC in the article referenced or even refers to the Registry and what SAAC considers the Continuation series. SAAC has definitions listed as to what are replicas and the various levels of Cobras and the like. The CSX Continuations Cobras are not considered replicas by SAAC that is made very clear. I also question Comers bias as he owns a 3000 series when it comes to acknowledging the Continuation series as genuine Cobras also.

My comment about the general public is directed towards the public that is aware of the Continuation series and those that have and interest in these cars not those who wouldn't know a Cobra from an MG or the guy who doesn't have a clue about cars who would think RedBarchetta car is a REAL Cobra (continuation or original). SAAC is the leading authority like it or not and they have accepted the Continuation series as a genuine Cobra. Thats enough for me.

The fact that the general public is laying out $100k plus for glass Shelbys to me says more then Comers little article. Its speaks volumes. People clearly don't drop close to $100K and more for a for what they believe to be a faux article when they can absolutely buy faux Cobras for 1/3 to 1/2 the price of a Continuation series Cobra.

Again, I have no issue answering yes to the question "Is it real?". Doesn't bother me in the least. Its true, factual and accurate. I just say yes it is, its a Continuation series Cobra from Shelby American. Thats all I need say and 99 out of 100 people light up with excitement. That says it all.

Last edited by REAL 1; 01-25-2010 at 09:48 PM..
Old 01-25-2010, 08:09 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, KMP178 / '66 GT350H, 4-speed
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by REAL 1 View Post

Colin Commer (sic)???? ... I'd be willing to bet I know more then (sic) he does about Cobras.
...careful, now.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:11 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, KMP178 / '66 GT350H, 4-speed
Not Ranked     

He wrote a book....you read one.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:22 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #185, Shelby Alloy 482; sold
Not Ranked     

Boy, I thought I was smarter than this, why do I keep reading this crap, why do I keep reading this crap, why..........